Clutch noise in engine - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch noise in engine

Hello, Let me start out by stating I LOVE THIS BIKE! I sold my G650GS Sertao as I do a lot of trail riding & it was just too heavy when dropped & exhausting to keep going for long trail rides. Not this bike! It's a perfect fit for my trails & as a commuter!

PROBLEM: I have had noise in my engine when letting out the clutch from a dead stop since I bought this bike. It is most noticeable when the engine is cold. I heard the same noise when taking a test G310GS out for the test ride & thought perhaps it was just brand new noise that would work out after a few miles. I now have 8K on my odometer, and it is getting worse. The dealership denied they hear anything, and now I'm bringing it back to shove their ear into it! HAs anyone else heard this & has there been any fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 PM

Hi Dave,

Does the same noise happen when the bike is in neutral and you are engaging and disengaging the engine while at idle?

There is an interesting vid on the 310 engine noise here that seems to be a common complaint but normal.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Very rarely I hear a 'screeching' sound when I drop the clutch too fast from a standstill, I understood it's from a slipper-clutch-like feature of the clutch design.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Very rarely I hear a 'screeching' sound when I drop the clutch too fast from a standstill, I understood it's from a slipper-clutch-like feature of the clutch design.
but 310 does not have slipper clutch, just regular clutch as far as I know.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cees has it spot on. It isn't a noise from the engine in a normal state. It is from engaging the clutch, and what you will notice is that over time (higher mileage) it will get worse. It is most noticeable when the engine is cold. I go off-road quite a bit, and starting from dead stops up hills the clutch basket sounds like it's ready to blow apart. I took my kids for rides on the back (either are still under 100lbs) and the noise when letting out the clutch was horrible. If it was a car with a manual transmission, I'd think the throw-out bearing was toast & cutting through the pressure plates.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM

I am no mechanic but that noise sounds like 'thrust bearing'. I had a similar noise on an old R80 from years ago and that was what that issue was then.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
My 310R has done this since new and so far (I think I have 2,300 or so miles on it now) it hasn't gotten worse.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well... took it to the dealership, and got what I expected... complete denial. To demonstrate the issue to them, I held on the front brake and let out the clutch slowly with some descent throttle. The clutch screamed like a banshee, and the mechanic said "Oh! That doesn't sound good at all!". So I left it with them for a week. When I went to pick it up, they had set my clutch back to the horrible factory location, which is at the very end of the lever release. Then proceeded to tell me that they didn't hear it. They further denied the issue by stating that holding the front brake on while throttling isn't normal use operation. To which I replied, I only did that to demonstrate the issue, which it did perfectly. They just stared at me blankly, and I knew they were full of sh*t, and weren't going to address the reality of the problem whatsoever. Looks like BMW is banking on this issue lasting through the warranty period. I reset my clutch to engage at 1/2 release, which make this bike soooo much better from a dead stop! Gets ride of that annoying stall issue nearly instantly. It does make this squeal more noticeable though. I bet they factory adjust to the very end to allow a better cover-up of the clutch noise issue to start with by allowing a slight slip in the setting. Which would prove they know very well that it exists.

Like I said at the start, I LOVE THIS BIKE! But this noise is horrible & sends chills up anyone's spine who hears it. I would have sold at least 3 more of these to friends if that noise didn't scare them away from the model. I think I'll get a video of the noise & post it up.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Hello everyone, I have the same type of noise on cold start when I move the quickly on the first move I hear this sound. I tried to record it, what is your opinion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bM...w?usp=drivesdk
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 PM

the dealer has to open the clutch and look inside. you can demand it as part of general service. I have no idea what could be a reason of such noise. maybe the bearing is gone or clutch plates worn out. i will open the clutch myself soon as I want to fit heavy duty springs. it is probably very basic design of clutch.

ps. you can also check the test bike in the showroom and compare the sound.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Last edited by Kris; 03-26-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page