GPS systems for my bike - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

GPS systems for my bike

Has anyone used either a Strike Genius GPS (Australian made) or a Motorader MRGPS system? If so, can you give me some idea as to their performance. From what I can find out about these 2 GPS units they seem well built and purpose built for bikes as well as reasonably priced in comparison with Garmin and the like, but I canít find any reviews for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

An update on my own post. The Striker Genius apparently is no longer in production and as for the Motorader MRGPS, I have searched high and low for some reviews and rider information on it all to no avail, so I have eliminated that from my possible list. I have ended up with a Garmin Zumo 396LMT-S for just a little more than the Motorader with lifetime map updates and a lot more.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Personally, I use refurbished Garmin Nuvi at the lowest cost I can find. I then load it with Open Street Map maps since Garmin maps don't present info like lakes and rivers, forest and fields etc.

Sure they are not waterproof, but neither am I (don't like riding in the rain)
G0MYW likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I use my iPhone with a quadlock mount and I can use it in heavy rain with a poncho. Without the poncho I can charge the phone while using it. This works for me as I only need it for roads, and can download offline maps using google maps. If you're looking at doing serious off road stuff you might be better off with a dedicated GPS unit, you'll always have your phone as a backup.
driverkelly likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S. It is expensive compared with car GPSís, but it is dedicated to bike needs and I like our back roads in Australia which are usually a bit gut wobbling so having the robustness of this model seemed sensible. Iím interested that yours doesnít show rivers and lakes I have 3 Garminís and they all show them as well as state forests and national parks. Iíll pull the tank off tomorrow to run the wiring and see how it goes. Life time map updates with it as well. Always a new toy to play with.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM

i bought some expensive gps systems for my other bike. but truth to be told, it is all a waste of many. just use your phone, google maps or 'Here'. I am surprised that people still use that gps crap. i think it is an American thing.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
i bought some expensive gps systems for my other bike. but truth to be told, it is all a waste of many. just use your phone, google maps or 'Here'. I am surprised that people still use that gps crap. i think it is an American thing.
Is it an Indian thing to be so needlessly and repeatedly offensive, Kris? You clearly are ignorant of the fact that in many areas of the western U.S. there are places beyond the reach of a cell tower, and so trying to use a phone out there to get your location or provide routing would be useless. Not to mention the fact that most good GPSs are resistant to weather, and will be, unlike a phone, less likely to die on you during a rain storm.

Listen, if at first you can’t understand something, perhaps your best course of action would be to question if you don’t yet have enough information rather than to assume that someone else is just plain stupid.
oldtimer.ca likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Standalone GPS systems vs smartphone apps for GPS is an age-old argument. both have their own Pros and Cons and there are trade-offs in each depending on your use-case.

Calling a standalone GPS crap only serves to show the limitations of your worldview.
oldtimer.ca likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Is it an Indian thing to be so needlessly and repeatedly offensive, Kris? You clearly are ignorant of the fact that in many areas of the western U.S. there are places beyond the reach of a cell tower, and so trying to use a phone out there to get your location or provide routing would be useless. Not to mention the fact that most good GPSs are resistant to weather, and will be, unlike a phone, less likely to die on you during a rain storm.

Listen, if at first you canít understand something, perhaps your best course of action would be to question if you donít yet have enough information rather than to assume that someone else is just plain stupid.
I would appreciate it if you did not lump all Indians in with Kris. It is offensive to me.
-N
driverkelly likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakul Malik View Post
I would appreciate it if you did not lump all Indians in with Kris. It is offensive to me.
-N
Which is why I wrote as a question, directed specifically at Kris. We need only to look to Christchurch (or Pittsburgh, or Charlotte, or Kashmir, or...) to see what offensive and ignorant stereotyping leads to.

But back to GPSs, I use an old Garmin Montana 600, hardwired to a switched power source, using Garmin’s locking mount. It has comprehensive road maps for almost anywhere there are roads on this planet, and it has served me well all over the western U.S., Canada and Mexico, as well as a four-week ride down through Patagonia. Garmin does a decent job of updating their maps, but you can also download and install maps from other sources (OpenStreetMap, etc.)
driverkelly likes this.

Last edited by WoodWorks; 03-19-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page