19 g310gs for freeway commute - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

19 g310gs for freeway commute

Hi new member here my names kyle I live in Southern California and work in Los Angeles my round trip commute is between 60-80 miles a day, would the 310 be a good bike to run on freeways daily ? It’s mostly all traffic so would be splitting lanes with some open highway stretches ...idc about speed etc I’m not trying to race street bikes haha but the local bmw dealership told me that engine is to small for that daily commute I need a 700-750 ... I love the price of the new 310gs so what do you guys think would bike be fine I’ve never owned a bmw always Harley’s I want something comfy and nimble thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Morning Kyle, and welcome to the forum.
The bikes bottom about about 150km/h so will easily do your posted speed limit and beyond.
Your BMW dealer would love to sell you a bigger bike, as there is more profit margin in the more expensive machines.
Bear in mind that the Gissette (GS-Ette* patent pending to me) is a compromise of a bike, and can't make up its mind if it is an adventurer, a trail bike, or an Indian commuter in drag.
Bottom line is, yes, it will handle highway speeds easily and yes, it will do it every day.
You may prefer a more road oriented bike for comfort/weather protection (not that it rains in SOCAL).
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelšnde Schnecke View Post
Morning Kyle, and welcome to the forum.
The bikes bottom about about 150km/h so will easily do your posted speed limit and beyond.
Your BMW dealer would love to sell you a bigger bike, as there is more profit margin in the more expensive machines.
Bear in mind that the Gissette (GS-Ette* patent pending to me) is a compromise of a bike, and can't make up its mind if it is an adventurer, a trail bike, or an Indian commuter in drag.
Bottom line is, yes, it will handle highway speeds easily and yes, it will do it every day.
You may prefer a more road oriented bike for comfort/weather protection (not that it rains in SOCAL).

Thanks ! Ya I figured there trying to sell me a bigger more expensive bike my question to them was so ur saying it’s no a dependable bike? Don’t understand them saying engine is to small I told them I don’t care about speed as long as I can get 70-75 mph when needed I’m happy
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Bosch View Post
Hi new member here my names kyle I live in Southern California and work in Los Angeles my round trip commute is between 60-80 miles a day, would the 310 be a good bike to run on freeways daily ? It’s mostly all traffic so would be splitting lanes with some open highway stretches ...idc about speed etc I’m not trying to race street bikes haha but the local bmw dealership told me that engine is to small for that daily commute I need a 700-750 ... I love the price of the new 310gs so what do you guys think would bike be fine I’ve never owned a bmw always Harley’s I want something comfy and nimble thanks !!
Hey Kyle. Welcome to the forum.

I use my GS to commute 2 times a week. I live in the South Bay and commute down to OC taking 405 and 605 for about 25 miles each way. I have no problems at all. The bike can easily maintain 70-80 MPH.

Cheap bike, good warranty, cheap insurance, light, nimble... can't go wrong for commuting, some light trail/dirt road even short trips. I took on a 700 miles up the central valley and down through Big Sur. Some people here even went all the way to the east coast and back.

Which dealer are you buying from?

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 PM

...and one more thing.
There seems to be a lot of people who have found their GS wasn't what they were really after and sell them as new with very low kilometres on the clock. (Yes, I'm Australian so we use metric and spell differently to you guys) :-)
You may find you can save yourself a grand and a bit buying an all but new one privately.
G0MYW likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtixa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Bosch View Post
Hey Kyle. Welcome to the forum.

I use my GS to commute 2 times a week. I live in the South Bay and commute down to OC taking 405 and 605 for about 25 miles each way. I have no problems at all. The bike can easily maintain 70-80 MPH.

Cheap bike, good warranty, cheap insurance, light, nimble... can't go wrong for commuting, some light trail/dirt road even short trips. I took on a 700 miles up the central valley and down through Big Sur. Some people here even went all the way to the east coast and back.

Which dealer are you buying from?
Great to here! I live right next to the one in orange off Katella they only have one color the white I want the cosmic black one and riverside has it where did u purchase urs from? Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelšnde Schnecke View Post
...and one more thing.
There seems to be a lot of people who have found their GS wasn't what they were really after and sell them as new with very low kilometres on the clock. (Yes, I'm Australian so we use metric and spell differently to you guys) 🙂
You may find you can save yourself a grand and a bit buying an all but new one privately.
great thanks I’ll check local adds!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
If I were you I would get a used low mileage C650 scooter. I have both the 650 and a G310R and I would 10 times prefer to take the maxi-sxcooter for that long a commute on SoCal freeways. The ultra high rpms of the 310 would drive me nuts in the long run and the extra power of the 650 would mean a lot to me when the traffic starts flowing again. There are low mileage 650s that come up cheap from time to time on Craigslist. I got mine with 1960 miles on the clock for just a bit more than a new 310. I am located in Marina del Rey and commute to LA on surface streets daily,
G0MYW and dave92029 like this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 AM

I bought a G310R at the dealer in Orange about 3 weeks ago and am so happy. I've been using it to commute from Echo Park to Santa Monica daily. It's about 15 miles each way/30 round trip. It's great for splitting lanes on the 10. I can squeeze through smaller spaces than other bikes. It's super nimble and can get up over 85 pretty quickly when the road opens up.

Still, my ride is about half as long as the one you describe so it may be you want something bigger for longer stretches of open road. I think I would want something that didn't rev so high at 85mph if I had open road. But I don't because this is LA and my 30 minute motorcycle commute is 90% splitting lanes at 25-35mph.
Cees Klumper likes this.

Last edited by rjwyatt; 03-16-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: specifying which dealer I bought at
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 AM

I would think that a 310R would be a better choice for commuting than a GS.
mtwashington likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page