WOBBLY HEADlight - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
WOBBLY HEADlight

wobbly headlight... yes we all have the wobbly headlight syndrome... This is how I removed most of the wobbly but left in some anti vibration projection.
1. Remove all the plastics, yes I know a lot of screws, but really it's a ten minute job.
2. Disconnect the wiring from headlight and remove
3. Remove the headlight mounting bracket 3 screws
4. Shorten the crush sleeve, the amount I cut off was very carefully calculated taking into account many factors, namely the width of my slip joint pliers.
5. Reassembly in reverse order, beep beep beep beep
6. Road test at night, observe no headlight bounce.🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_103923.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	12526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_103828.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_103819.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	12530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_103724.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	12532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_104029.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	12534  

G0MYW likes this.

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:31 AM

Is there something that shows how the plastics come off and do the little snap nuts pop off?

Best days to ride end in "Y"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
Iíd be very interesting in hearing the exact measurement of the sleeve after youíve cut it.

Iíve observed my headlight "bouncing" quite a bit as well, so Iíd love to find a good solution to it while still retaining - at least some of - the sleeve.

- Dean

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to long way from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8NONU View Post
Is there something that shows how the plastics come off and do the little snap nuts pop off?
I have never had any issues with the captive nuts popping off, to remove the plastics, start with the side cheeks, 3 screws each, on is round the back. then the seat, now the two centre secrews at the back of the tank and front of tank cover, then the rest of the screws holding the tank cover on, then flex the tank cover, and remove it, next is the peak, then the instrument cover, just take your time, slacken the 10mm nut on the horn, gives you more clearance...
W8NONU likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the information. I have items on order to add power for my electronics. When they come in I'll be taking the tupperware off and getting it all done at once.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM

maybe i am the only one, but wobbling of the headlight is not bothering me. especially, when i converted to full LED assembly.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
maybe i am the only one, but wobbling of the headlight is not bothering me. especially, when i converted to full LED assembly.
You’re not the only one, Kris. In fact, I think of it as BMW giving us a free headlight modulator. Anything that gets a driver’s attention cannot be a bad thing, IMO. And my guess is BMW designed it intentionally that way, and that those who have modified their headlights to be more rigid will be replacing their bulbs a lot more than those of us who have chosen to leave well enough alone. Time will tell.
gregtixa likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Interesting...I've been riding a motorcycle of some type since 1964. Not one was designed with a wobbling headlight. The suspension on some of the old bikes was so bad it appeared that the head light was wobbling when going down the road. My Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, Husky's, Benelli's, KTM's and BMW's have all had solid mounts for the headlights without causing the bulbs to burn out prematurely. The engineers at BMW did not intentionally design the headlight on the 310's to wobble as an alternative to a modulator. They just assumed their design would hold the headlight in place, without wobbling! Two connection points is cheaper than three. The rubber used in the spacers is too flexible. The wobble didn't bother me, it bothered all the people flashing their lights at me. All the people flashing lights at me bothered me. If you rarely ride at night it's probably not a big deal. Since it isn't a safety concern the chances of BMW doing anything under warranty is slim. My fix was quite easy. I cut two small wedges out of a firm piece of rubber thick enough to put pressure on the plastic plate, put a little silicone adhesive on each wedge and pushed them behind the plastic plate that's moving. Doesn't require disassembly of anything. The headlight still has some damping effect from the oem washers, but doesn't wobble with every little bump any longer.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Youíre not the only one, Kris. In fact, I think of it as BMW giving us a free headlight modulator. Anything that gets a driverís attention cannot be a bad thing, IMO. And my guess is BMW designed it intentionally that way, and that those who have modified their headlights to be more rigid will be replacing their bulbs a lot more than those of us who have chosen to leave well enough alone. Time will tell.
You are talking utter rubbish, see the comment below yours...from W08NONU
kerembasabasa likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Kris, I would be interested in the LED conversion, do you have any info on the bulb you bought and photos etc...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page