• 2 Post By Gtown
  • 2 Post By LeakyTailpipe
  • 1 Post By W8NONU

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine light and noise

Hi Guys,

Today on my way to work everything was going fine and normal. On my last 2 miles, as soon as I left the freeway the engine light went on. I stopped right away and after a little the bike died. Didn't start right after, but after a couple minutes the bike started normal and no engine light. I drove for another mile and the light went on again, this time a louder rattling noise started and the gear indicator was allover the place.

I pulled over and pushed my bike to work (just a 2 blocks) and contacted roadside assistance. The bike was just delivered at the dealer!

I am no expert but the noise didn't sound good. I checked all fluids and the temp was normal (195f),

Hoping for nothing serious. I will update here once I hear from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	12852  

Greg

- Black G310GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Well that sucks. I bet I'm not the only one eager to hear what happened, and how BMW handles it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Pushing your ride to work - that's dedication. If I were your boss I would give you the day off to go see how your Baby is doing at the hospital. WoodWorks is right - eager to know what happened.

Bet you are thinking Roadside and 3 year warranty looking good about right now. Sadly, mechanical failure happens even with the new.

Now get back to work and stop posting to the forum on work time. LOL!

I'm surely never here during work. :-)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtown View Post
Pushing your ride to work - that's dedication. If I were your boss I would give you the day off to go see how your Baby is doing at the hospital. WoodWorks is right - eager to know what happened.

Bet you are thinking Roadside and 3 year warranty looking good about right now. Sadly, mechanical failure happens even with the new.

Now get back to work and stop posting to the forum on work time. LOL!

I'm surely never here during work. :-)
That's dedication right there! hahaha I left work earlier and went to the dealer to talk to the service manager. As of yesterday night they didn't have the time to check on the bike yet, but he told me he would call me today... Still waiting though.

I got a 310r loaner with only 300mi on the ODO... Crossing fingers for a easy repair.

Hopefully my boss don't ride motorcycles she will never know that I expend a lot of my work day at G310RFORUM... ahahahha
Ligkonakos and Tukemeister like this.

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Any update on the problem?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
** UPDATE **

Hi Guys,

Friday night they called me that the bike was ready. I am not 100% sure they were transparent with me on the problem. On the call he told me that the only thing they found was that the engine had too much oil. I told him I had the bike serviced there a couple weeks back and I didn't change or added oil, so if this was wrong it was the dealers fault. This morning when I went there to pick my bike the repair order states that they couldn't find any issues and the only thing they did was reset 2 codes. I was late to work so I just grabbed my bike and left.

The bike is running normal and hopefully will stay this way.

Well I have no mechanic experience at all and I fully trusted the dealer to have the bike serviced to BMW standards, but lesson learnt.

Always make sure the dealer don't put too much oil in!!!!!

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

- Black G310GS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
I hope that was the problem but Iím having a difficult time believing that too much oil caused the problems you had. I would be asking what the two codes they reset were to get a better understanding of the issue. Fingers crossed you donít an anymore issues.

When you originally posted I was thinking it was a sensor problem or fuel problem.
G0MYW and LeakyTailpipe like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 PM

I don't understand how too much oil would cause problems with the gear indicator. What were the codes?
G0MYW and Tukemeister like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 AM

I have questions like other posters... Too much oil? Why would they have to resent codes for too much oil, sounds a little questionable to me! The gear indicator could have been an electronic problem or a mechanical issue. With the noise you experienced I would guess there was a mechanical problem. As someone else mentioned I would definitely ask what codes were reset and once they tell younthat, why were they reset! How did resetting those codes stop the rattling? Luckily I have an outstanding dealer and service department that over the years have earned my trust by always being upfront with me and explaining any issue found, the cause and the resolution.
LeakyTailpipe likes this.

Best days to ride end in "Y"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page