GPS wireing - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverkelly View Post
I guess its horses for courses, and I have 2 problems with using my phone, maybe 3. The first is as I described earlier in that in Australia there is a lot of country that is only covered by satellite phones which cost an arm and a leg. A lot more than my GPS cost and they have expensive ongoing costs. Secondly, I donít know how old you guys are, but my eyes are not as good as they used to be, and I tried numerous phone cradles without the stability of the GPS set up. The main thing that concerns me is that the GPS I purchased is designed for motorbikes and therefore has inbuilt shock absorption that the phone does not. If on some of our outback roads the phone dies from the rattling around and something untoward happens then I am left without any form of communication. (I travel a lot solo)

since when one needs to pay for Satellite connection?? the phone is automatically connecting to it. also you can get 'map offline' application. Here, you just need to download the map of the country you are in. it automatically uses satellite bypassing cellular connection. As to vibrations, I use the popular Ram Mount Cradle Holder, and due to it not being fully rigid, it kind of works as shock absorber.

the benefit of GPS device is that they come usually waterproof (ps. some phones too). I personally found using it very inconvenient, the way you move through different functions in it is like the thing of the past, very primitive. me and my friend got very annoyed with it. and why pay for one more thing, if mobile gives you all what you need?

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 AM

Satellite phones are not the same as cell phones. Look up inmarsat for example.
driverkelly likes this.

2018 G310GS - white
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
I started using a car TomTom.
The first comment I got was that a car gps is not made for a motorcycle.
Beside the fact that a car gps is not waterproof, a motorcycle produces high frequent vibrations and most car gpsís are not made for these vibrations and ....... die !
The same for cell phones. Most of them (all) are not made for motorcycle use. The vibration can / will kill your cell phone and then ...... you have nothing.
My (humble) advice, get a proper motorcycle gps.
driverkelly likes this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
I started using a car TomTom.
The first comment I got was that a car gps is not made for a motorcycle.
Beside the fact that a car gps is not waterproof, a motorcycle produces high frequent vibrations and most car gpsís are not made for these vibrations and ....... die !
The same for cell phones. Most of them (all) are not made for motorcycle use. The vibration can / will kill your cell phone and then ...... you have nothing.
My (humble) advice, get a proper motorcycle gps.
I very much disagree. i have been using mobiles on my bikes for many years without any issues. they are much cheaper than the stupid gps and work much better. my personal opinion is that gps is a thing of the past. why people still use it is beyond me.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I very much disagree. i have been using mobiles on my bikes for many years without any issues. they are much cheaper than the stupid gps and work much better. my personal opinion is that gps is a thing of the past. why people still use it is beyond me.
There seem to be a lot of things that are beyond you, Kris. Hereís one: some of us ride in places where there is no cell phone signal. Much of the rural parts of the western US are without coverage. There simply arenít enough people living there to make it economically worthwhile.

Hereís a thought: if you canít understand something, maybe the problem is your own lack of knowledge, and not a stupid decision on someone elseís part. And maybe, just maybe, youíll stop constantly insulting others here on this board.

Yeah... thatíll happen.
HPP8140 and driverkelly like this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
There seem to be a lot of things that are beyond you, Kris. Here’s one: some of us ride in places where there is no cell phone signal. Much of the rural parts of the western US are without coverage. There simply aren’t enough people living there to make it economically worthwhile.

Here’s a thought: if you can’t understand something, maybe the problem is your own lack of knowledge, and not a stupid decision on someone else’s part. And maybe, just maybe, you’ll stop constantly insulting others here on this board.

Yeah... that’ll happen.

are you serious? I am not insulting anyone, but just gps outdated devices, as I had very bad experience with them, so please do not take it personally. of course, it is just my personal opinion. if you download map offline, you do not need cellular connection, period. how do think gps works? it is using the same satellite connection as the mobile does when you download the map. but if you like to have gps, it is your personal choice. many people like to use them, it is common in the north America.

Last edited by Kris; 05-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Kris, have you ever been in the Australian outback? You have no idea what can happen to an exposed cellphone. Dust, vibration and heat will kill it in less than half a day exposed to the environment.
driverkelly likes this.

2018 G310GS - white
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiJeeper View Post
Kris, have you ever been in the Australian outback? You have no idea what can happen to an exposed cellphone. Dust, vibration and heat will kill it in less than half a day exposed to the environment.
to be honest I have not been much in Australia. i have just visited Melbourne and some places close it it. I prefer to avoid Australia as you have too many poisonous snakes/spiders, etc... a very dangerous place

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 PM

They may not be as convenient as smartphones, but GPS units have their place. I'm pretty sure the vibration from my KLR is what killed the charging port on my current phone. If you get into trouble, you can navigate without using your cell battery, which might be your only way of getting help. Smartphones work great riding around town. But redundancy is always a good thing in the middle of nowhere.

I like that clean installation. It looks factory.
driverkelly likes this.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:33 AM

from the money I spent on expensive GPS, I could get 5 good mobile phones. electronic devices break here and there. I would not keep phone on the cradle or charging it when going off-road. I personally had never had an issue with mobile phone on a bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page