GPS wireing - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

GPS wireing

A couple of weeks ago I installed a Garmin Zumo 396 KMT-S on my bike I wired it directly to the battery thinking that would do. After a couple of weeks of coming back to the bike and finding it still on or just having to turn it on and off manually all the time I decided to bite the bullet and wire it into the ignition. Works heaps better. I fitted a power plug and USB plug as well. While I was at it, I fitted a Denali Mini Sound Bom horn. What a difference that made, scared the crap out of my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	12866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	12868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	12870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	12872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	12874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824 copy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	12876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	12878  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Nicely done. Great little horn - I've installed them on every bike we own. Scared my wife too!
driverkelly likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverkelly View Post
A couple of weeks ago I installed a Garmin Zumo 396 KMT-S on my bike I wired it directly to the battery thinking that would do. After a couple of weeks of coming back to the bike and finding it still on or just having to turn it on and off manually all the time I decided to bite the bullet and wire it into the ignition. Works heaps better. I fitted a power plug and USB plug as well. While I was at it, I fitted a Denali Mini Sound Bom horn. What a difference that made, scared the crap out of my wife.
I like the mini sound bomb denali much better than the big one (air horn or something like that). with the big one, I scare not only other drivers, but myself too . did you installed the harness too? by itself it draws too much energy.

i wonder why people still use these GPS devices. I also got the Garmin for my other bike and tossed in the trash bin. so expensive and much inferior to other applications that can be used with mobile.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Last edited by Kris; 05-03-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I donít know what the mobile coverage is like in India Kris but in Australia there are a lot of coverage holes and the type of country I like to ride I would be riding blind. The mountain tracks and outback country roads have no coverage at all unless you have a satellite phone. They cost a fortune to own as well as coverage.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverkelly View Post
I donít know what the mobile coverage is like in India Kris but in Australia there are a lot of coverage holes and the type of country I like to ride I would be riding blind. The mountain tracks and outback country roads have no coverage at all unless you have a satellite phone. They cost a fortune to own as well as coverage.
You don't need mobile coverage to use your phone as a GPS, there are several map applications(also free) which you can download and use with the phones built in GPS receiver.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Is this the one from Touratech?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
You don't need mobile coverage to use your phone as a GPS, there are several map applications(also free) which you can download and use with the phones built in GPS receiver.
There are parts of forests in New Zealand, and Auckland, cellphone coverage doesn't exist. Also, unless I can constantly charge my phone, a GPS device allows me to save the phone battery for emergency and still use mapping device.
driverkelly likes this.

2018 G310GS - white
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiJeeper View Post
There are parts of forests in New Zealand, and Auckland, cellphone coverage doesn't exist. Also, unless I can constantly charge my phone, a GPS device allows me to save the phone battery for emergency and still use mapping device.
As P.J mentioned, you can save the map before going for a trip, and gps on the phone can use Satellite connection too. Of course, you need to install the USB port to charge the phone or else the battery will drain fast.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I guess its horses for courses, and I have 2 problems with using my phone, maybe 3. The first is as I described earlier in that in Australia there is a lot of country that is only covered by satellite phones which cost an arm and a leg. A lot more than my GPS cost and they have expensive ongoing costs. Secondly, I donít know how old you guys are, but my eyes are not as good as they used to be, and I tried numerous phone cradles without the stability of the GPS set up. The main thing that concerns me is that the GPS I purchased is designed for motorbikes and therefore has inbuilt shock absorption that the phone does not. If on some of our outback roads the phone dies from the rattling around and something untoward happens then I am left without any form of communication. (I travel a lot solo)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 AM

You should think about a GPS enabled Personal Emergency Locator Beacon. That's the only thing search and rescue will respond to reliably when things go horribly wrong in the middle of nowhere.

2018 G310GS - white

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page