GS 310 air filter; K&N - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

GS 310 air filter; K&N

Has anyone done the K&N upgrade air filter exchange? Seems the tank cover is a pain to remove. Any issues? How about the filter? I usually get solid results on all vehicles with these filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2108 BMW 310 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffdb026 View Post
Has anyone done the K&N upgrade air filter exchange? Seems the tank cover is a pain to remove. Any issues? How about the filter? I usually get solid results on all vehicles with these filters.
A video on how to change the filter:

K&N and BMC both makes filters for this bike:
https://brooksbarn.com/en/category/1...w-g-310:83459/

Personally I would not bother as the gain would be so minuscule that you would be hard pressed to measure a difference. Anecdotal evidence also claim K&N filters out less than a stock item.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 PM

I was think of replacing KN filter. But I noticed their experimental result is not serious enough and lack of detailed data. And it seems their filter performance is not robust enough for something smaller than/equal to 7 microns
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM

with K&N filter you will not gain but lose performance without fuel enrichment. Furthermore, these filters do not filter anything, and dust will get into your engine. I was ignorant to use them in the past. The stock filter is just fine.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
.... these filters do not filter anything, and dust will get into your engine. ....
A company like K&N would have a major law suit on their necks in the USA, if they lied about their product tehcnology, as on their web site https://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

Quote:
I was ignorant...
Ignorance can be cured, stupidity can't.
Nakul Malik likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a beginner on motorcycles, been trying to learn to drive since 1981. So far crashed only 14 bikes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselman View Post
A company like K&N would have a major law suit on their necks in the USA, if they lied about their product tehcnology, as on their web site https://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity can't.
Are you trying to insult me? WTF? What is wrong with you? Instead of worrying about changing your air filter, you need learn how to behave as a decent and respectful human being.

Do you even know how free flow filters work? They let more air in quicker, but they also get in more impurities from the air as a compromise. K&N has become very popular due to their clever marketing strategy, not because their air filters are good. I used them on many motorcycles, and in dusty conditions very soon they become dirty on the inside, which is a clear indication that they do not filter well. This has been researched. You can google it. There are many articles on the subject, like this: https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

as I wrote, increasing air flow is leaning the air/fuel mixture, and as the bike has already too lean mixture, it simply does not make sense.

ps. the only more free flowing filters that actually filter well in my experience are foam filters, but they need to be saturated with thick special oil.

Last edited by Kris; 05-17-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
They let more air in quicker, but they also get in more impurities from the air as a compromise.
Of course our expert Kris-know-it-all is right. By leting air in to the engine, we also let inpuritys int to the combustion cahamber. The best solution is therfore to close out all incomin air. That way mo impuritys get to let inside our engines.
Quote:
K&N has become very popular due to their clever marketing strategy, not because their air filters are good.
And ofcourse K&N has stayed in the market by their clever marketing strategy, not because their products do what they promise. If our expert says so, it has to be this way.

Quote:
.... soon they become dirty on the inside, which is a clear indication that they do not filter well.
And ofcourse an air filter that does NOT get dirty on the inside is the best. (Wonder where the dust goes if it does not stay in the filter?)

Quote:
You can google it.
Of course, if it's on the Internet, it is the one and only truth. Google never lies and all non-scientific reserch is a proof of all selling companies being liers, trying to cheat us on our money.

From my point of view, everybody is free to use wich ever filter he/she chooses. On a bike with only 34 hp, the best performance upgrade is: Buy a stronger bike from begining.

I'm just a beginner on motorcycles, been trying to learn to drive since 1981. So far crashed only 14 bikes
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Of course our expert Kris-know-it-all is right. By leting air in to the engine, we also let inpuritys int to the combustion cahamber. The best solution is therfore to close out all incomin air. That way mo impuritys get to let inside our engines.

And ofcourse K&N has stayed in the market by their clever marketing strategy, not because their products do what they promise. If our expert says so, it has to be this way.

And ofcourse an air filter that does NOT get dirty on the inside is the best. (Wonder where the dust goes if it does not stay in the filter?)

Of course, if it's on the Internet, it is the one and only truth. Google never lies and all non-scientific reserch is a proof of all selling companies being liers, trying to cheat us on our money.

From my point of view, everybody is free to use wich ever filter he/she chooses. On a bike with only 34 hp, the best performance upgrade is: Buy a stronger bike from begining.
I just saw your reply. with all respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. the dirt is not allowed to get to the inside of the air filter, but must stay on its outside layers. [email protected] filters are crap, period. they are used by those who go on race tracks, and do not care about longevity of their bikes. many Harley guys put these filters, but it is more for the look than for their performance. otherwise their questionable benefits do not justify damaging your engine.

as for K&N being sued, no one can prove that the engine failure is due to air filter. it is an accumulative effect along many years. not changing engine oil, messing with exhaust, changing the fuelling system, all these things can contribute to the damage done to the engine. If you choose aftermarket parts, it is at your own risk. you cannot sue them because they are not approved by your manufacturer.

additionally, as I said, putting high air flow in the gs without changing the fuelling is plain foolish. you must compensate for the additional oxygen with more fuel, or else you will run too lean.

I do use 'K&N' oil filters, but they are not being made by K&N.

anyway, anyone can have their own opinions, but expressing them without doing a proper research is not right. you need to care about your fellow bikers...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 AM

So Mr. Know-It-All Kris, I'm the fool not knowing what I talk about you are the expert. As per your opinions from other threads, I taki it you know the answer to every problem. Like in your comment
Quote:
........... I do not believe that anything is wrong with the callipers themselves. bmw dealers are just morons.......
in thread https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/new...wreply&p=98484

How much research did you do to get to those conclusions, about the calipers and what BMW dealers are?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
So Mr. Know-It-All Kris, I'm the fool not knowing what I talk about you are the expert. As per your opinions from other threads, I taki it you know the answer to every problem. Like in your comment

in thread https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/new...wreply&p=98484

How much research did you do to get to those conclusions, about the calipers and what BMW dealers are?
You behave like a baby. If you respond from emotional place, I do not wish to continue this discussion. It is true that I cannot see what could go wrong with the callipers. what kind of research can be done there? the design is very simple, but it is possible that piston seals or alignment with the rotors were wrong with the first batch of callipers provided to bmw by Byrne company; very unlikely in general. I live in India part time and use these callipers on other bikes. Anyway, it is a case of mechanical failure. The K&N filters is something entirely different.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page