BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

BMW G310GS starting to lose faith in bike

24K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  aob 
#1 ·
So far I have had a whole new frame, the engine management module replaced as idling at 4-5000 rpm, now it’s gone again and in for the same idling problem, 2600 miles I have done in total and all I have had is problems, I love my 310gs but I don’t think I can live with a motorbike that I have no trust in working correctly, bmw uk Motorrad are appalling and the customer complaints dept are beyond a joke, first bmw and it will be my last .

#2 ·
#3 ·
I also feel there are more problems than normal, and persistent ones that come back on the same bikes multiple times. Also there have been many complaints about the poor service from BMW including the lack of spare parts and the time it takes to get them to the dealer. One month to get something from Germany to California? Really. I have been lucky with my G310R (knock on wood) and also I have back-up bikes if disaster should strike, but BMW ownership should not be like this. Reminds me of what happened to Mercedes some years ago, that they are still digging back out from.

Reactions: G0MYW
#7 ·
Looking at alternatives -: Honda CB500x (bit heavy), R E Himalayan (More problems than JZ), Kawasaki Versys 300 (Possible but don't like ABS you cant switch off)), Suzuki Vstrom 250 (Bit of a plodder). This has lead me to the conclusion that the 310GS is the best option but only if I can get a quantified answer to why the same module has gone wrong twice, First time it went wrong was on an offroad trip Salisbury plains (4000rpm idle using clutch to control and breaking is not my idea of fun). 2nd time just leaving for day out on bike with mates and it happens again (they sent me the standard by the sea pictures with ice creams to rub it in) , is it better the 310GS with limited problems .... probably and most definitely if the BMW Motorrad/Dealers in the UK were not such arrogant twats. So what to do ?

#14 ·
Well BMW techs at dealers are replacing DEM module (ECU) 2nd one in a 1000 miles they cannot find why it keeps going wrong, not much help to me as now I will be waiting for it to go wrong again, so my stance is I will happily take the motorbike back but if it goes wrong for a third time I will want a full refund of the purchase price of the motorbike.

#16 ·
My GS is back in Service center. Last 4 days I had issues in startingthe bike. It use to take 4 to 5 long start button press to get her started. Apparently, Battery and Alternator are not the problem said the service guy after checking the usual suspects. Now they are investigating as to why the bike does not start. Fuel Pump? Spark Plug? Flooding of fuel? Will get to know probably today.

Bike had been to Service center 2 months back when the radiator fan failed and replaced under warranty.

#18 ·
Quick update on the status

Apparently the starter motor needs to be replaced. Part not available immediately with the Service Center. They have ordered it. Wait begins...

As I mentioned before, BMW should have a full store of spares in each country so that spare parts can be posted overnight express to every dealer, shouldn't cost them more than the cost of one or two bikes.

I understand that you are in India, they should be able to get the part to you within 24 hours as the bike is manufactured there.

Make sure you complain if the part does not arrive very soon!

#20 ·
I have had my 310GS for 13 months of which 5 weeks it has been in a BMW garage on 3 occasions for repair under warranty, It has ruined two motorbike trips away and now it is also having the brake calipers done under a PUMA from BMW, I know all motorbikes have problems but I went for the BMW brand on purpose for peace of mind ..... maybe I should of looked more to the land of the rising sun.

#24 ·
Just out of interest has anyone had any joy with BMW in respect of compensation, I am going to go for a free service and extended warranty not sure if I will have any joy. The bike being made in India never really bothered me as it was said that it was overseen by German BMW Techs, well I guess they must have been having forty winks when some of our bikes were being manufactured.

#30 ·
Well just to update (In case anyone else has the same problem) Picked my 310GS up from dealer (4000 rpm idle problem) new DEM fitted, drove away got half way home and could feel idle was still not right as 2000rpm hunting to 2500rpm when warmed up, rang BMW dealer to inform them that it was not right still and this lead to me taking it back on Saturday, I think they thought I was making it up but he plugged into BMW computer and the Lambda sensor was obviously faulty as the pattern of peaks and lows was all over the place, he confirmed that this was not normal, lambda sensor now on order.
Also while it was in the PUMA recall from BMW on the brakes was addressed which meant brand new calipers front and back.
Now I am pleased that the bike is being fixed again and hopefully this is the last time but it does amaze me that having owned the bike for a year its been in the dealers for 3 weeks frame replacement, 2 weeks 1st DEM replacement, 2 weeks 2nd DEM replacement, now at least a week or two for sensor if none in UK, that will be 9 weeks or 2 months of its life spent in a BMW dealers.
Now I did get a loan bike F750GS which is good but would I upgrade to any BMW motorbike .... I doubt it after my own personal experience.

#34 ·
"Also while it was in the PUMA recall from BMW on the brakes was addressed which meant brand new calipers front and back"

Hi Jay,
Is this a known recall on the G310 GS? The BMW dealer in Chiang Mai Thailand do not alert me regarding the recalls, I have to raise them myself. What does PUMA stand for?

Thanks in anticipation,

#31 ·
On the other end of the spectrum, my 310GS has been running great. It doesn't like to start in the cold necessarily, and during cold, high humidity days can still idle high (dealer suspects icing, even though it's fuel injected, as the RPMs drop after a minute or two). I've just finished a 12 day, 6,000 mile trip putting it at 10,000 miles. Stand has been warrantied. It really is a solid bike when it performs.

#36 ·
Well Lambda sensor replaced and 310GS running and idling correctly (As per dealers phone call), well it didn't end there as they said while re-assembling the 310 they noticed a leak from the water pump .... so you guessed it will be replaced under warranty, like Triggers broom this motorbike (one for us Brits). Frame, calipers (front and rear), DEM module x 2, Lambda sensor & water pump.

#39 ·
Clutch or lock out bearing detonated

At 850 miles on the clock my bike left me stranded for a bit.
Happy I was not lost in the West Virginia mountains where I had been for 2 days last week.

Now at the shop.

Tomorrow they will check it out.

Sounds like a bunch of rocks in the clutch or motor housing when the bike runs.

No oil leaking, properly full of oil.

Changed oil at 400 miles.

Brand new bike!

Not sure I'll keep it.

May trade for another Suzuki DR650.

I was at the dealer dropping off my new BMW and they had this lovely 2017 Suzuki DR650 come in on trade last week while I was gone.
I told them I was taking it out on a test ride. They said keep it all weekend, your vacation was cut short due to this BMW failure and you need to ride, heck you're still on vacation man!
So, I did.
I texted the owner, said what's my best OTD.
He replied.
I bought it.
Rode on the Dealer Plate all weekend.

Had a great time.

I was looking for a DRZ400 when I made the decision to by the BMW G310gs.
I love the new baby gs.
But, I think the DR650 is better bike.

Oh well.

Live and learn.

Attachments

#40 ·
all this makes me feel a little uncomfortable.
So many problems !!!!!
My 310R is a 2017, one of the first Beemers in the country.
Drove 8000 km and had, beside the normal little problems (leaking waterpump) and the recalls, no problems.
I'm very happy with this little beamer and if I have to look for a follow upper, it most certainly will be a 310R again.

#42 ·
Turns out my transmission came apart on my new BMW G310gs with 850 miles on it.

This tore up the insides of the motor they tell me and cracked the cases.

The dealer will be ordering me an entire new motor as it's a unit construction.

No idea how long that will take.

I've asked them to prepare to trade this for a new Suzuki DR650

#44 ·
Lot's of worrying posts. Touch wood, my bike besides a battery replacement has been rock solid. Racked up just shy of 21000kms since purchasing in Feb 2018. I ride the bike really hard and love any excuse to use dirt over tar road.

The only issue I do have is with BMW service, like so many have said, parts take a month + to arrive. One of my dirt adventures led to me dropping the bike. Only cosmetic damage, but BMW ripped the ring out on replacement covers and a few other odds and ends. Parts took more than a month to arrive. Then came the re-assembly, got the bike back with the left fork leg clamp bolts loose and just yesterday found the washer on the brake pedal wasn't re-installed after replacing the bent pedal. So my brake pedal was slowly coming off the bike.

I have been informed that my frame can't have the retro fit stand, so they are ordering a new frame. This means a total rebuild of the bike, something that I don't feel too comfy about considering the dealership couldn't even tighten the fork clamp bolts or assemble the brake pedal correctly. Doubt I will ever trust the bike after the frame replacement is done, will likely sell and move to the African Twin, not likely to ever touch a BMW, purely due to their lack of service.

#47 ·
While some of the lower end Honda's like the monkey and Grom are now made in Thailand their build quality doesn't seem to have suffered.

The Africa Twin is a flagship Honda, built at their Kumamoto, Japan plant. They're also technically CRFs which are legend for toughness and reliability.

Frankly, an Africa Twin would outclass anything BMW produces at any price in my opinion. I am just not sure how you get from a 310GS to a CRF1000L at 2.5x+ the price I think of them as for rather different customers.

I plan on adding an Africa Twin to my stable, have to readjust the balance; tied 2-2 at Honda / BMW and the BMWs are far more maintenance hungry.

#46 ·
Hi, I'm Living in Bangalore, India, just 50 KMS away from the Factory where BMW bikes being assembled/Manufactured. When Bike/Engine components required even for us, it takes beyond 30 days.

Hope BMW India transferring all materials to Stock yard to Mumbai, India and then they Distribute globally as well domestic.

One thing what i understood is the JV Partner (TVS India) of BMW have no access or control over any of the BMW bikes even within the Factory.

BMW to work around on their service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.