Oil confusing - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Oil confusing

I am slightly confused with Oil.
The handbook recommends SAE 15W-50, BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil. Is this full or semi synthetic ?
What the difference between 10W - 40 and 15W-50 & 5W-30 etc etc.
10W-40 seems more readily available.
Secondly is there a alternative to the BMW Motorrad oil filters .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Hey Tuke,

Stick with the manufacturer recommendations on the oil weights. The engineers determined those weights for a reason.

As for the difference, the first number deals with the viscosity of the oil when cold. So a 0W oil will be thinner than a 10W out of the bottle. The second number is the viscosity of the oil when at operating temperatures, typically at 180 to 200F. This indicates that at operating temperatures, the oil would not be thinner than the weight of the oil indicated.

For instance, a 10W-40 oil indicates that at operating temperatures, the oil would not be thinner than a 40 weight oil.

While a lighter (and thinner) oil enhances mileage and allows the engine to rev easier (theoretically), they may not provide the necessary viscosity to protect engine parts if the engine is made to run on heavier oil.

Lastly, BMW Advantec Pro oil is made by Shell with PurePlus technology. It is a synthetic oil.

Hope this helps!
Tukemeister likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Can't help you on the filters, but recall there are prior threads on this topic and there are some alternatives I think mentioned (Ebay?). Me I stick to the BMW original stuff: oil and filter, for me not worth the few dollars to take a risk on alternatives. The BMW oil is semi-synthetic. I think so long as you stay with the viscosity and (API/JSO) performance ratings you should be ok.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:17 PM

Just get this - Rotella T6 Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil 5W-40

It meets BMW's specs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:03 PM

oil

Stick with a motorcycle oil , due to the bikes wet clutch.

A good semi synth , I did put 10/40 in mine but only did 80 miles , the bike went in for warranty work to have a water pump change and clutch cover , dealer dropped the oil and probably replaced it with 15-50.
But when it is due a change I will probably use 10/40 ( when BM went over to 15/50 and dropped Castrol we had 205 lts in stock for servicing BM R12's they said carry on using it.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:05 AM

For the time my bike is under warranty I stick with manufacturer's recommendation, buying the oil and filter from my dealer. After initial service, oil changes are yearly or every 10,000km so it is not a huge expense. After warranty expires I might switch to another brand that meets the same specs.
Contradicting posts in this thread as to whether the BMW recommended oil for this bike is full or semi-synthetic: my findings shows it is SEMI-synthetic.
An example of how it is advertised here: https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/co...-engine-oil-1l

Oil change tutorial in case you need:
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/305...il-change.html

'18 G310R
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:15 PM

It all depends on the ambient temperature. In cold weather, 10W50 or !0W40 is better. In hot climate, 15W... is better. I am always surprised, how people indiscriminately follow manufacturer's 'recommendations' like a holy bible without considering all the variables. In my Versus 1000 manual, at least Kawasaki says - 10W40 or 15W40/50 depending on the country. higher viscosity oil gives more protection, but is problematic with cold start, etc... The modern engines commonly call for lower viscosity, but at the end, one will be ok with any oil as long as it is good quality... The reason BMW insists on the particular oil is because they make money by selling it... I use Mobil1 10/40 in gs, as I ride it in high mountains during winter season.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Last edited by Kris; 05-25-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Kris, you might be surprised to know that manufacturers actually recommend different weight oils for different climates. And not following manufacturer recommendation within warranty period is a sure way of invalidating it. I am surprised at how many people just prefer to trust a manufacturer rather than internet.

As for the brand, as long as it meets the BMW standard, it does not matter. I prefer Penrite for all my vehicles and Penrite make oils meeting different standards.

2018 G310GS - white
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiJeeper View Post
Kris, you might be surprised to know that manufacturers actually recommend different weight oils for different climates. And not following manufacturer recommendation within warranty period is a sure way of invalidating it. I am surprised at how many people just prefer to trust a manufacturer rather than internet.

As for the brand, as long as it meets the BMW standard, it does not matter. I prefer Penrite for all my vehicles and Penrite make oils meeting different standards.
oh, ok. from what I seen all the members here speak of the 15w50 as the only recommended oil for gs. and by bmw 'standard', what do you mean?

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM

The numbers represent viscosity index, or resistance to flow at a given temperature. The higher the number, the "thicker" the oil. Two numbers are given, the first is viscosity in (W)inter conditions (0C or 32F) and the second is viscosity in hot conditions (100C or 212F). The W viscosity is important when starting the engine in cold temperatures, and the hot viscosity describes oil performance at engine operating temperature.

BMW isn't in the business of making oil or filters, so they are probably marking up someone else's. If the marketing info is to be believed, the oil is made by Shell but I'm not sure about the filter. As for changing the oil viscosity, the manufacturer will usually specify viscosities in the manual based on the temperature the engine will be operating in, but BMW has no chart and specifies only 15W-50.

If the bike is under warranty, I would use BMW products. The engineers are making decisions based on dozens of competing factors that we will never fully understand. BMW offers 10W-40 oil but recommends it for water-cooled boxer engines. They recommend 15W-50 for single-cylinder engines. I'm sure they have their reasons, because it would be cheaper to specify one oil for everything. If you do decide to try something different, be sure to protect your wet clutch and use motorcycle oil and not automotive oil with friction modifiers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page