Akrapovic exhaust for Bmw g310gs - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Akrapovic exhaust for Bmw g310gs

Hey guys, happy riding to all 🍻

I am planning to buy Akrapovic Racing Line moto exhaust but i am bit confused between the two -

Racing Line carbon exhaust

Racing Line stainless steel exhaust

I really like the looks of stainless steel exhaust but the full carbon fibre exhaust is offering lil more power. Which one should i get ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay View Post

I am planning to buy Akrapovic Racing Line moto exhaust but i am bit confused between the two -

I really like the looks of stainless steel exhaust but the full carbon fibre exhaust is offering lil more power. Which one should i get ?
carbon can get easily damaged. it is mostly used on sport bikes to save weight, not on adventure/off-road bikes. i had one that cracked without even having any accident. i doubt that carbon one gives more power; i would not trust the numbers they put on their website. the difference between these two is the baffle on the carbon version is see-through so it is louder. but if you manage to remove the baffle in SS, both will be the same in terms of performance.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Last edited by Kris; 05-31-2019 at 01:45 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you weigh up the importance of the looks against the (minimal?) power gain, I think looks would win.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 AM

having more open exhaust causes losing power, not gaining power, unless you enrich the fuel. people confuse 'louder' for 'stronger'. the ecu in the bike has been programmed for the oem silencer with the intent to give it as much power as possible.

my Versys 1000 with Akra slip on, lost 10km top speed (220km/h vs 230km/h) in spite of the Akra claims that it gains HP. it is their marketing bs. especially, you compromise the lower end torque. still, the loss is not so much, and one get much lighter silencer, and one that is more pleasing aesthetically; plus better sound.

the Triumph company at least offer the ecu map change for Tiger 800 with their optional open silencer.

Last edited by Kris; 05-31-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay View Post

carbon can get easily damaged. it is mostly used on sport bikes to save weight, not on adventure/off-road bikes. i had one that cracked without even having any accident. i doubt that carbon one gives more power; i would not trust the numbers they put on their website. the difference between these two is the baffle on the carbon version is see-through so it is louder. but if you manage to remove the baffle in SS, both will be the same in terms of performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
If you weigh up the importance of the looks against the (minimal?) power gain, I think looks would win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
having more open exhaust causes losing power, not gaining power, unless you enrich the fuel. people confuse 'louder' for 'stronger'. the ecu in the bike has been programmed for the oem silencer with the intent to give it as much power as possible.

my Versys 1000 with Akra slip on, lost 10km top speed (220km/h vs 230km/h) in spite of the Akra claims that it gains HP. it is their marketing bs. especially, you compromise the lower end torque. still, the loss is not so much, and one get much lighter silencer, and one that is more pleasing aesthetically; plus better sound.

the Triumph company at least offer the ecu map change for Tiger 800 with their optional open silencer.
Thanks a bunch guys🍻 for clearing it out for me. I have decided that I'll get the stainless steel version. It looks good and its more sturdy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 AM

I have the Carbon fiber as I did not like that bulge halfway up the stainless model. I think the CF is nicer but then again I haven't had it whacked yet.
Remember the exhaust comes with mounts for both the R and the GS so don't throw the other one out. You also need a reverse torx size 6 I think to remove exhaust header. Easy to install but be careful with O2 sensor (you need a O2 sensor socket to remove).

IMPORTANT: I don't know where you live but if you ride with sandals or short pants, you will probably burn the back of your calf on the exhaust especially if you have shorter legs. They sell a heat shield for it (~200USD) which I feel should be free and/or come with the exhaust. Anybody for a class action to provide heat shield?

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
I have the Carbon fiber as I did not like that bulge halfway up the stainless model. I think the CF is nicer but then again I haven't had it whacked yet.
Remember the exhaust comes with mounts for both the R and the GS so don't throw the other one out. You also need a reverse torx size 6 I think to remove exhaust header. Easy to install but be careful with O2 sensor (you need a O2 sensor socket to remove).

IMPORTANT: I don't know where you live but if you ride with sandals or short pants, you will probably burn the back of your calf on the exhaust especially if you have shorter legs. They sell a heat shield for it (~200USD) which I feel should be free and/or come with the exhaust. Anybody for a class action to provide heat shield?
I just used the original shield. cut and welded the attachments that are welded on the exhaust pipe and bolted the oem shield. another option, is to attach 2 metal clamps to the inside of the oem shield and put them over the exhaust pipe. something needs to be welded on the inside of the shield to hold the clamps. i have done it on crf250. to spend 1/3 for the heat shield is a complete rip off.... the common strategy of Akra company.

a picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quaneen.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	13154  
Tmex51 likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 AM

ps. here is a picture of Akra heat shield installed on Versys 1000. i payed 100 usd for this piece of carbon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys 1000 19.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	13156  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Kris, I did the same thing, original shield from factory exhaust will fit nicely

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page