Fake Neutral Between 5 and 6 (Or I dont think it is netural) - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 129
Fake Neutral Between 5 and 6 (Or I dont think it is netural)

Hello

This is my first time experience. I was listening music and enjoyed my riding. When I wanted to getting into 6th, I pulled the clutch (throttle forth and back) and thought I was into 6th already. But the rev went to around 8K and I was still at 5th. Then I thought , Oh, okay, I gonna do it again. Then I did the changing gear procedure again, it seems I just cannot getting into 6th. \

After panicking for a while, I tried again, it seems I can get into 6th now. So far my bike has now issue, and I only did reduce the clutch freeplay by a little bit. Because my freeplay was slightly larger than 2mm now. I just changed it back to what I had because I thought it was the problem of my freeplay. But I does not make sense to me, because the freeplay become smaller means I can pull easier in order to change the gear.
whatever is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Hello

This is my first time experience. I was listening music and enjoyed my riding. When I wanted to getting into 6th, I pulled the clutch (throttle forth and back) and thought I was into 6th already. But the rev went to around 8K and I was still at 5th. Then I thought , Oh, okay, I gonna do it again. Then I did the changing gear procedure again, it seems I just cannot getting into 6th. \

After panicking for a while, I tried again, it seems I can get into 6th now. So far my bike has now issue, and I only did reduce the clutch freeplay by a little bit. Because my freeplay was slightly larger than 2mm now. I just changed it back to what I had because I thought it was the problem of my freeplay. But I does not make sense to me, because the freeplay become smaller means I can pull easier in order to change the gear.
the clutch cable free play affects mostly going into the neutral. in fact, one does not have to pull the clutch lever fully in when riding on high speeds. maybe there is some other problem....

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
Kris is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
the clutch cable free play affects mostly going into the neutral. in fact, one does not have to pull the clutch lever fully in when riding on high speeds. maybe there is some other problem....
I knew Kris will answer my question! 310 has so many reliable questions. If it happend to a HONDA i would blame my own skill. Now I was wondering if this was the bike or not.
whatever is online now  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I knew Kris will answer my question! 310 has so many reliable questions. If it happend to a HONDA i would blame my own skill. Now I was wondering if this was the bike or not.
Whatever, before you take the bike to the dealer, check if you are shifting correctly. for instance, before going from 5 to 6th let your foot REST by releasing your foot, then gently touch the gear lever with your foot from the bottom, engage the clutch lever while pressing the gear lever up and giving a bit throttle. the gear lever and clutch lever need to be pressed simultaneously, so that the clutch lever is not pressed before the gear lever...

another way to check if the gears are working properly, is to put the bike on the main stand (if you have only side stand, so let someone lean the bike to the left side while holding the handlebar to the right) so that the rear wheel is free (this is also the way to lubricate the chain without main stand). then turn the wheel while moving from the 1st to 6 gear; before changing the gears, let the gear lever rest in a neutral position by releasing your hand. I think this is the easiest way to check if the gears are working. if not, either there is problem with the gear box or clutch assembly.

personally, i find the gears working very smooth with gs, other than when going into neutral one has to press the gear lever up ever so gently, or else one skips the neutral and moves to the second gear.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
Kris is online now  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Whatever, before you take the bike to the dealer, check if you are shifting correctly. for instance, before going from 5 to 6th let your foot REST by releasing your foot, then gently touch the gear lever with your foot from the bottom, engage the clutch lever while pressing the gear lever up and giving a bit throttle. the gear lever and clutch lever need to be pressed simultaneously, so that the clutch lever is not pressed before the gear lever...

another way to check if the gears are working properly, is to put the bike on the main stand (if you have only side stand, so let someone lean the bike to the left side while holding the handlebar to the right) so that the rear wheel is free (this is also the way to lubricate the chain without main stand). then turn the wheel while moving from the 1st to 6 gear; before changing the gears, let the gear lever rest in a neutral position by releasing your hand. I think this is the easiest way to check if the gears are working. if not, either there is problem with the gear box or clutch assembly.

personally, i find the gears working very smooth with gs, other than when going into neutral one has to press the gear lever up ever so gently, or else one skips the neutral and moves to the second gear.
I did getting into 6th successfully afterwards. I remembered you had different springs installed on your clutch, so will it make changing gear better?
whatever is online now  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Whatever, before you take the bike to the dealer, check if you are shifting correctly. for instance, before going from 5 to 6th let your foot REST by releasing your foot, then gently touch the gear lever with your foot from the bottom, engage the clutch lever while pressing the gear lever up and giving a bit throttle. the gear lever and clutch lever need to be pressed simultaneously, so that the clutch lever is not pressed before the gear lever...

another way to check if the gears are working properly, is to put the bike on the main stand (if you have only side stand, so let someone lean the bike to the left side while holding the handlebar to the right) so that the rear wheel is free (this is also the way to lubricate the chain without main stand). then turn the wheel while moving from the 1st to 6 gear; before changing the gears, let the gear lever rest in a neutral position by releasing your hand. I think this is the easiest way to check if the gears are working. if not, either there is problem with the gear box or clutch assembly.

personally, i find the gears working very smooth with gs, other than when going into neutral one has to press the gear lever up ever so gently, or else one skips the neutral and moves to the second gear.
It also happened to me at other gears. So I went to a motorcycle dealer, not BMW which is far away. It seems something was garbing my throttle cable which causes the pulling of my throttle even though I was released the throttle when changing gear.
whatever is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome