Some thoughts after 1 month and 700 miles of ownership. - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny M
  • 1 Post By shapemaster
  • 1 Post By Geoff PD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Some thoughts after 1 month and 700 miles of ownership.

First, the bike is a good fit for what I wanted; small displacement bike for the twisties of Napa Valley, some light trail riding, and jaunts around town.

I bought the 2018 version with 1000 miles from a private seller. It had already gone through its first 600 service and also the side stand recall.

Here are my thoughts on the 'room for improvement' stuff. The brakes are not great and wondering what anyone has done to improve that situation?! The suspension is soft and while it glides over most potholes and road imperfections, it doesn't inspire much high-speed cornering confidence. I know there are parts to improve this, but kinda pricey. The headlight is janky and dim. And the sounds from the lil' thumper stock exhaust are not especially manly or pleasing. Finally, the stock gearing is too high for maximum fun, not to mention off road riding.

So, it's not a perfect bike. To begin the process of making it more to my liking, I first removed all the blue and red stickers off the white bike. Next, I installed a 15 tooth front sprocket from Esjot. This has been a great and inexpensive improvement and brings the gearing down to where it should have been to begin with. The bike is about 25% peppier and is more frequently in a good power band. First gear starts are more responsive and 2nd gear rolling slow speed starts are much better too, nearly eliminating that chugging sound with the 16 tooth sprocket. Combining the new sprocket with clutch-less up shifting makes the bike down right zippy. Not fast, but better.

Here's some numbers associated with the new sprocket:

idle down to 1800 rpm from 1900.
1st gear @6000 rpm = 20 mph
2nd gear @6000 rpm = 28 mph
3rd gear @6000 rpm = 36 mph
4th gear @6000 rpm = 44 mph
5th gear @6000 rpm = 51 mph
6th gear @6000 rpm = 58 mph

Seems to suit the engine much better and seems to make the clutch-less up shift easier too. The only reason not to do this is if you commute at freeway speeds for long stretches as your primary purpose. Top end and gas mileage would both suffer.

Not sure what I'll do next. I think a top case that holds a helmet and other goodies would be nice. Maybe a tail tidy. Also, while changing the front sprocket I noticed about 1/4 inch play in the rear sprocket which is likely the cush drive dampers going bad. I hope this is a warranty covered repair with more dense rubber by now? Other improvements, however, are more expensive and maybe not worth it?

Finally, keep your chain clean! I don't think the original owner ever thought about it. Sprayed with kerosene, scrubbed, wiped and repeated until the chain went from black grime to shiny silver. Apply chain lube. of course.

Any feedback appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_180338.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	13424  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Shouldn't make any difference to idle though
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Dunno, it was definitely 1900-2000 before, now firmly 1800 rpm at idle. Clean chain, new sprocket, new numbers.

Maybe someone can post some mph figures @6000 rpms through the gears for a comparison?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald.male View Post
First, the bike is a good fit for what I wanted; small displacement bike for the twisties of Napa Valley
Nice, I'll keep an eye open! I bought mine for the twisties in Sonoma, though sometimes we do wander east. Will keep an eye out for another white GS.

“When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.” -A.A. Milne
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 PM

I purchased my 310 for mostly the same reasons as you. Around town and back roads and places I didn't feel comfortable with the big RT. Never had trouble with the stock gearing but a change to 15 tooth counter sprocket made the bike come alive and upped the fun quotient. I also added a Seat Concepts high seat and made some risers to lift the bars 20mm. My longest one day ride on the 310 has only been a little over 180 miles, but still comfortable at the end of the day. As far as brakes, I am probably not a good judge. When needed they work. Better suspension would be nice but so far not a high priority. Overall I like the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_145010 (1).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	13462  
shapemaster likes this.

Kenny M.
Eureka, Ca.
BMW 2018 G310gs, BMW 2015 R1200RTLC, 1974 Norton 850
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald.male View Post
First, the bike is a good fit for what I wanted; small displacement bike for the twisties of Napa Valley, some light trail riding, and jaunts around town.

I bought the 2018 version with 1000 miles from a private seller. It had already gone through its first 600 service and also the side stand recall.

Here are my thoughts on the 'room for improvement' stuff. The brakes are not great and wondering what anyone has done to improve that situation?! The suspension is soft and while it glides over most potholes and road imperfections, it doesn't inspire much high-speed cornering confidence. I know there are parts to improve this, but kinda pricey. The headlight is janky and dim. And the sounds from the lil' thumper stock exhaust are not especially manly or pleasing. Finally, the stock gearing is too high for maximum fun, not to mention off road riding.

So, it's not a perfect bike. To begin the process of making it more to my liking, I first removed all the blue and red stickers off the white bike. Next, I installed a 15 tooth front sprocket from Esjot. This has been a great and inexpensive improvement and brings the gearing down to where it should have been to begin with. The bike is about 25% peppier and is more frequently in a good power band. First gear starts are more responsive and 2nd gear rolling slow speed starts are much better too, nearly eliminating that chugging sound with the 16 tooth sprocket. Combining the new sprocket with clutch-less up shifting makes the bike down right zippy. Not fast, but better.

Here's some numbers associated with the new sprocket:

idle down to 1800 rpm from 1900.
1st gear @6000 rpm = 20 mph
2nd gear @6000 rpm = 28 mph
3rd gear @6000 rpm = 36 mph
4th gear @6000 rpm = 44 mph
5th gear @6000 rpm = 51 mph
6th gear @6000 rpm = 58 mph

Seems to suit the engine much better and seems to make the clutch-less up shift easier too. The only reason not to do this is if you commute at freeway speeds for long stretches as your primary purpose. Top end and gas mileage would both suffer.

Not sure what I'll do next. I think a top case that holds a helmet and other goodies would be nice. Maybe a tail tidy. Also, while changing the front sprocket I noticed about 1/4 inch play in the rear sprocket which is likely the cush drive dampers going bad. I hope this is a warranty covered repair with more dense rubber by now? Other improvements, however, are more expensive and maybe not worth it?

Finally, keep your chain clean! I don't think the original owner ever thought about it. Sprayed with kerosene, scrubbed, wiped and repeated until the chain went from black grime to shiny silver. Apply chain lube. of course.

Any feedback appreciated.
I swapped out the Brembo pads for Ferrodo, the brakes are much sharper now.

BMW G310GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda Forza.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Shouldn't make any difference to idle though

I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM

I purchased my Baby GS because my new 2018 GS Giant was hurting my back to ride.

So, my intention is to ride on backroads, gravel and some light commuting for fun.

However, I find it interesting how we tend to want every bike we buy to be "perfect".

This is a "perfect" 6 thousand dollar single thumper made in India. That's it. That's all it will ever be
however one huge benefit is the BMW engineering and quality.

So far, I really like my little Baby GS. I have this and a Honda Monkey 2019 in Yellow Banana which I love.
Between the two? Take the Monkey every time.

Nothing is do all. I've had 47 bikes in 13 years and can tell you we need 3 or 4 in the garage to make one perfect bike.

Thanks to all here who share. Enjoy the Baby GS for what it is. It really is quite amazing.
Brava210 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
My engine top end noise seems.... well.... NOISY! Almost embarrassing in town when queued at the lights.
And the induction roar, especially between 5500 and 6000 rpm is just embarrassing! Sounds like some small street racer to impress your mates with! Definitely need to quieten that down.... or buy a tinted visor so nobody can recognise me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brava210 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M View Post
I purchased my 310 for mostly the same reasons as you. Around town and back roads and places I didn't feel comfortable with the big RT. Never had trouble with the stock gearing but a change to 15 tooth counter sprocket made the bike come alive and upped the fun quotient. I also added a Seat Concepts high seat and made some risers to lift the bars 20mm. My longest one day ride on the 310 has only been a little over 180 miles, but still comfortable at the end of the day. As far as brakes, I am probably not a good judge. When needed they work. Better suspension would be nice but so far not a high priority. Overall I like the bike.
Hi Kenny, can you provide some specifics about the running lights you have attached to the frame please? Bike looks great!