BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Power Commander for G310GS

18K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  marci 
#1 ·
Dynojet is looking for a donor bike in the Las Vegas area to confirm fit-up of a Power Commander V unit on a G310GS. If you are willing, they will have the bike for a week.

I don't work for Dynojet, I just know they are looking for a bike from talking to some of their people. Contact me over at ADVrider.com and I'll forward your info.

Don't PM me here. I can't reply because I don't have 15 posts.

#3 ·
Well these days my tuner of choice is no tuner at all, and an unlocked ECU with the tools to do it myself. For example, some of my previous generation Triumphs (675R) and KTM (690 supermoto) I could just plug in TuneECU, install my new map, make any changes I want and be done with it. Easy and free.

These days however more and more ECU's are getting locked down so you have to use a piggyback controller. If someone has "cracked" the ECU sometimes you can send it off to get it reflashed but most of the time you have to use a piggyback controller. With the BMW 310, it's kind of a fringe bike. I doubt anyone is going to put in the work on the ECU.

As far as a piggyback controller, Dynojet does it well and if you have to use one there's really no reason to use anything else. You mention a "fuel enrichment solution" like you might be talking about the BoosterPlugs and other tricks that some people are using. The proper way to do it is with air/fuel mapping on a x/y table with revs and throttle position.

You can't properly control an ECU with a "PowerJet" controller.

Real tuners map air/fuel ratio to a table.

Dynojet's Power Commander V also has the functionality of adjusting ignition timing, something that Bazzaz and many others do not have in their base units without an expensive add-on. So in summary, Dynojet is old, but it's also the most refined, and if you have to have a piggyback tuner it's the best choice.

The point of my original post is not to promote "stupid tuning options" for the G310GS. It's to help find a donor bike for Dynojet in Las Vegas so they can finally confirm fitup and get an official offering on the market. On the other hand, maybe they just don't care. These bikes aren't very common. If they really wanted an option on the market for the GS they would have bought a bike to work with.

#4 ·
first thing to know is that person who is using dynojet needs to have some knowledge about all these variables, such as fuel/air ratio, timing, etc...you kind of need to be 'professional'. I played with dynojet in my Vulcan in many ways, and I did not really see improvement, I could not even eliminate popping in the open exhaust. In the end, the bike just did not start because some wire was broken. I am not saying that Dynojet is bad, but it is a bit too complicated for an average rider and all the wiring does not inspire confidence. I trust more simple systems like EJK or booster plug. In my Tiger 800 the company offered to change the ECU map for open exhaust. I had at that time booster plug in combination with the map change and the bike was running too rich, so I removed booster plug.

#9 ·
Dynojet never got a donor bike to test and confirm fitup. As of now Dynojet still does not have an option for the G310GS.

i used Dynojet on several bikes, and I hate it. It is an outdated system, Dynasore era. It created more problems than benefits in my bikes.
Careful everyone, this is a guy who was trying to talk people into a cheap add-on resistor box as a valid tuning option. People, get your advice from other people who are qualified to give it. The Power Commander is a perfectly fine tuning option and the only problems with it are are created by clueless end users, poor installations, a lack of dyno tuning or installing unknown or unproven maps.

Note all: I don't check this forum much. I find better discussion about the G310GS and more knowledgeable people at ADVrider.

#7 ·
I used a PCV on my 2016 KTM RC390 and had the ECU flashed and PCV mapped by Commonwealth Motorcycles in KY and it works great. It also has the open airbox mod and a RS9 Yoshimura exhaust. Only drawback is that bike is twitchy at low speeds.

The only thing I hate about the PCV is that you have to take the whole bike apart and sometimes guess that you are making the correct connection. There should be just a simple jump connection. One plug to the ECU then one plug the wiring harness. Even if it is$100 more, it is worth it to not have to take everything apart to make connections.

I am sure they can get a loaner from a dealer or even BMW themselves. I also think the unit would be the same for either the "R" or the "GS" but maybe I am wrong on that.

I just looked and they make one for the 310R

Reactions: ajaybiz
#8 ·
I find the small BMW powerful enough. If one wants more power, a bigger bike is needed. small gs is a bit too weak on the lower torque end, but that can be remedied with changing the sprockets, smaller front or bigger rear or both (as I did). I spent so much money on modifying bikes (oh god, if he exists which I doubt). the small bmw is good as it is, no need to change anything as far as power is concerned, in my opinion...

#10 ·
Like I said earlier, they make one for G310R so it should work for GS. Connections are probably same as engine is same. They only problem might be connection wire length but a BMW technician should be able to answer that.

Reactions: ajaybiz
#12 ·
in my last bike, Vulcan S, not only the power commander did not give any improvement with their maps and my tuning, but the wires just broke by themselves, and then I was wondering why the bike does not start before I just took all that crap off... but everybody has the right to spend their money as they wish....

#16 ·
A very "basic" mod consist in replacing the IAT sensor with a modified one that communicat to the ECU a lower air temperature than the real one. This determines an increse of the % for fuel in the mix air-fule entered into the cilinder in the acceleration phase. This does not add any Hp but improves the acceleration phase
In Italy there is a guy that does the work (www.belinassu.it, sorry website only in Italian) but other alternatives exist (booster plug and similar)

I've done it for my R1200GS but not for the G310GS, because I believe that the improvement would be not significant and in addition replacing the IAT sensor would require dismantle half of the bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.