Screen mounting screws - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By porth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Screen mounting screws

OK....it's silly question time again!
I bought a Puig touring screen and today tried to fit it. When removing the old screen, firstly the top screws seemed to engage into some kind of captive nuts hidden deep inside the plastic, but the bottom screws just turned round and round making strange metal-on-plastic noises. When I finally had the guts to pull the screen (still with the screws attached) away from the plastic backing, I saw the lower captive 'nuts' had come detached from their surrounding plastic (that was the weird noise) and the entire nuts came out with the screws still attached!
Now....I took off the 'captive' nuts from the screws and have epoxy glued them back into their holes. But the TOP 2 screws seem to have lost their captive screws which are now hidden somewhere deep behind the instrument panel.
No problem or so I thought. I'll just take the plastic panel off and retrieve them¬

So here comes the silly question....

How on earth does this panel come off??????

I removed every screw I could find, including the 2 which hold the headlight aligned! But the panel is STILL fixed very firmly in place!

Does anyone know, or if possible can anyone take a picture from a service manual and send to me?
Now I have me old screen AND my new screen ..... and I can't put either onto my bike!

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Garage
Never a silly question when trying to figure things out about our bikes? It's how we learn - for me me it is often from my mistakes! LOL

Strange you had difficulty with removing the screws. When I replaced mine with a GIVI windscreen they came out very easily.

Panel removal is not a silly question. Here is thread on the topic. You can also find a video here that I found for the installation of an headlight that kind of shows the sequence of the panel removal process.

Hope this helps.

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/194...c-removal.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you so much Gtown. The video showing the headlight installation is exactly what I need.
Unfortunately for me while I was removing screws in my last attempt, one of them was the front indicator fixing screw which had a loose nut behind it! Well the nut came off and fell to the floor! So when I follow the video and reassemble everything I'm going to epoxy both of these nuts back onto the plastic so I don't suffer the same problem again.
I appreciate your help.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
Thank you so much Gtown. The video showing the headlight installation is exactly what I need.
Unfortunately for me while I was removing screws in my last attempt, one of them was the front indicator fixing screw which had a loose nut behind it! Well the nut came off and fell to the floor! So when I follow the video and reassemble everything I'm going to epoxy both of these nuts back onto the plastic so I don't suffer the same problem again.
I appreciate your help.
Maybe try something a little less severe, instead of using epoxy, use a bit of double sided foam tape. Should have enough hold to keep the nut in place and is a little less permanent and has a bit more wiggle room.
Geoff PD likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally......FITTED
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:50 AM

Glad you sorted it. Any photos of the screen on the bike?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Glad you sorted it. Any photos of the screen on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page