G 310 GS frame warp / wheel alignment? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

G 310 GS frame warp / wheel alignment?

Just became the proud owner of a G310GS and wanted to check something with you guys. I noticed the back and front wheel are out of alignment on my 310, as well as two others I have checked. Can anyone check this on their bike? It is noticeable when placing the bike straight (in a pitstand would be best) and looking at the wheels from a distance. The front and back wheel are slightly misaligned (vertically, not horizontally, so this might also be a warped frame). As three 310's in my area have this that I know of, I'm thinking it's just made this way. Strange... Hard to photograph but the misalignment is there (i did a check with a large beam as well). Bike is brand new with 300km on the clock.

As I notice no strange things while riding I'm not worrying about it too much. Just wanted to check if others have this too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190806-232213 (1).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	13520  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 AM
PCV

Both wheels appear, from your red lines, to be parallel in the vertical plane with the rear offset to the left of the bike. If they are also parallel fore and aft (use your straight edge) then the offset is probably intended. However, such a departure from having both wheels on a common centreline is normally made to give chain clearance at the rear tyre but, in the case of the 310, such an offset would be to the right and not the left. Strange indeed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for your input. It's hard to notice on the picture but the offset is cross shaped when looking at the bike from straight ahead. The two red lines on the picture are not 100% parallel, as they should (?) be. Interesting to say the least !
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 AM
PCV

If the wheels are not actually both vertical then either the steering head is off the plumb, the swingarm pivot is not horizontal or the swingarm is twisted. Any of which may be within Bangalore tolerances of course :-)

I'll be getting the stringline out to mine as soon as I can get the bike somewhere with enough room round about it, which ain't in my junk-filled garage.

Last edited by PCV; 08-07-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:51 PM

put inclinometer on each of the discs when the bike is upright. then look down the bike .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM
PCV

Well, I've done a quick check with the stringlines. When I have an assistant I shall use my two straight edges (I use fluorescent tubes) and carry out some fine measurements. One of the first things I did on getting the bike was to check the chain line by eye - it's still spot on so at least the motor and rear wheel align as they should.

Anyway, by eye using the string, my wheels run on the same centreline and, using a 90 spirit level/setsquare (don't have an inclinometer, perhaps I'll borrow one) both wheels lie in the same vertical plane. Maybe I'm just lucky.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCV View Post
Well, I've done a quick check with the stringlines. When I have an assistant I shall use my two straight edges (I use fluorescent tubes) and carry out some fine measurements. One of the first things I did on getting the bike was to check the chain line by eye - it's still spot on so at least the motor and rear wheel align as they should.

Anyway, by eye using the string, my wheels run on the same centreline and, using a 90 spirit level/setsquare (don't have an inclinometer, perhaps I'll borrow one) both wheels lie in the same vertical plane. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Great stuff! Thanks for letting me know. For mine and the others I have checked the offset is clearly visible with the naked eye (harder to photograph then see actually). Looking forward to your measurements.

An inclinometer would be great, but I have none at hand.

For now, I'll just drive the GS as I notice no strange things while moving .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:15 PM

There’s no adjustment at the rear of the bike for this alignment issue, unless there’s any play in the axle bolt when loosened (you’d probably only need 1mm of movement at the axle to rectify it)

Also check that the forks are perfectly aligned, as in the same height at the top clamp on both sides.

1mm here could affect the wheel alignment by the amount on the photo.
1mm at the axle could be 5mm or more at the rim.

It won’t affect the handling, not so that you’d notice anyway, but it would be nice to get it right.

Last edited by lightning; 08-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page