Servicing idiocy - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PCV

Servicing idiocy

I was not terribly impressed with my local BMW dealer when I was looking for a GS but, in the end, a more distant dealer had an unmissable used machine with less than fifty miles on the clock and I negotiated the 600 mile inspection as part of the price.
Not wanting a longer trip for the 6000 mile service I thought I would use my local dealer so popped in today.

Things got off to a less than promising start when the service guy did not know what a 6000 mile service was, "Is that the first annual service?" he asked.

Any small local bike shop can give you a price for a routine service, but not BMW it seems. Having established what was wanted he had not a clue what the cost might be.

The best he could come up with was, "It'll be less than for a 1200 I suppose", followed by, "It could be a bit over £200, or it could be a lot less".

I suggested that it might be the same as they had charged the last unfortunate to have his 310 serviced there but he did not take the hint to look up his records on that (the screen was right in front of him).

He went on to say that no BMW dealer in the UK could give a price for a service without working it out from parts and labour but this was apparently too much effort for him to do.

Absolutely appalling - not even halfway professional.

I'd be interested to know the experience of others on this, and what the service costs.

Last edited by PCV; 08-10-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:20 PM

If you canít find someone local to do the service, and canít do it yourself, Iíd go back to the dealer you bought it from. But your local BMW guy doesnít deserve another minute of your time.
G0MYW likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
If you canít find someone local to do the service, and canít do it yourself, Iíd go back to the dealer you bought it from. But your local BMW guy doesnít deserve another minute of your time.

Once it's out of warranty it won't see a dealer, don't worry. Experience has shown that I can do a better job than the average dealer - I could bore you with the efforts of three Suzuki dealers.
G0MYW likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

I had just as bad an experience with a local Yamaha dealer. I had an XSR700 at the time and it had gone in fora service and to "solve" a problem. My bike came out of there with the chain tightened like a bow string! I adjusted it on getting home. The gearbox never did sound the same afterwards 🙄.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

Garage
what a load of old b0[[oX..
they are just preying on folk who have no care about money.
I find it utterly inconceivable that BMW do not have a standard charge for a standard service.
As others have said " D I Y " its not a complicated bike [ heavens it was built in india ! ]
OR find a good independant 'bike shop' ... luckily I have 2 near me who are utterly brilliant and charge a very realistic fee.
ok rant over ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Take it to your local trusted bike dealer/shop
Let them do the service.
If they are an established business and stamp your service book your warranty will be fine.
I can’t see how BMW could legally weasel out of a warranty claim, in the unlikely event that you get an engine or running gear fault.

Certainly in the U.K. it’s not a legal requirement to use the supplying dealer for servicing.
G0MYW likes this.

Last edited by lightning; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 07:35 AM

Have you anyone like the below in your area.
https://www.theworkshopyork.com/
I have already been in touch regarding my bike and he can service BMW's and still keeps the warranty, my bike is going to him.
I googled BMW approved in the ......... area.
G0MYW likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukemeister View Post
Have you anyone like the below in your area.
https://www.theworkshopyork.com/
I have already been in touch regarding my bike and he can service BMW's and still keeps the warranty, my bike is going to him.
I googled BMW approved in the ......... area.

Sadly nobody approved like that in my area and, as it is due the brake recall inspection, I may as well go to a main dealer to simplify things.

There have been developments though. I contacted the place I bought the bike from to be told they were with a customer but would call me back. Four hours later I have to assume they have more work than they can handle and aren't interested.

I phoned a dealer in the north east of England but the service person, again, couldn't understand what a 6000 mile service was and reeled off a list of service titles which meant nothing to me in this context. I was told "I only book in what I'm told to book in". How is the customer supposed to know what the secret code is if a BMW dealer can't tell them?

Perhaps I should have bought the Honda I was considering.

Anyway, Lloyds in Carlisle were immediately able to give me a price and tell me exactly what work would be done, without any prevarication.

Looks like I'm in for a 200 mile round trip.
G0MYW likes this.

Last edited by PCV; Today at 08:49 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCV View Post
I was not terribly impressed with my local BMW dealer when I was looking for a GS but, in the end, a more distant dealer had an unmissable used machine with less than fifty miles on the clock and I negotiated the 600 mile inspection as part of the price.
Not wanting a longer trip for the 6000 mile service I thought I would use my local dealer so popped in today.

Things got off to a less than promising start when the service guy did not know what a 6000 mile service was, "Is that the first annual service?" he asked.

Any small local bike shop can give you a price for a routine service, but not BMW it seems. Having established what was wanted he had not a clue what the cost might be.

The best he could come up with was, "It'll be less than for a 1200 I suppose", followed by, "It could be a bit over £200, or it could be a lot less".

I suggested that it might be the same as they had charged the last unfortunate to have his 310 serviced there but he did not take the hint to look up his records on that (the screen was right in front of him).

He went on to say that no BMW dealer in the UK could give a price for a service without working it out from parts and labour but this was apparently too much effort for him to do.

Absolutely appalling - not even halfway professional.

I'd be interested to know the experience of others on this, and what the service costs.
you are too serious. ok the person at the dealer did not know the price. so what? nobody is perfect...

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
you are too serious. ok the person at the dealer did not know the price. so what? nobody is perfect...

I don't think it is unreasonable for a main BMW dealer's service rep to have some idea of what a 6000 mile service is and to be able to find out what the price is when asked. The information was, quite literally, at his fingertips. Basic customer service, ie what the dealer survives on.
WoodWorks, G0MYW and Brava210 like this.

Last edited by PCV; Today at 12:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page