Annoying air intake roar! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Palawan, Philippines
Posts: 73
Garage
Annoying air intake roar!

As a new owner of this otherwise fabulous machine, the one REALLY embarrassing thing that in my opinion RUINS this bike is the annoying air intake roar.
Mine makes a terrible din particularly around 5500 to 6000 rpm ( the sweet spot where you are accelerating up through the gears or overtaking someone)!!!!
Has anyone else experienced this or have I bought a lemon???
Itís acceptable (I guess) on some street racer bike where yourctrying to impress your mates, but on a Ďrefinedí GS ....... come on! Itís just embarrassing! Add that to the TERRIBLE noise that comes from the top of the engine and it just sounds like itís about to spill the contents on the roadside!
What can o do to keep the intake quieter?? Different filter? Bigger air box??
HELP!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geoff PD is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
G0MYW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Marlow. UK
Posts: 167
Garage
oh ... I rather like the intake roar... so we all have different likes.
I use earplugs to try and preserve my old hearing.
Maybe thats an option for you.?
G0MYW is online now  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Brava210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
As a new owner of this otherwise fabulous machine, the one REALLY embarrassing thing that in my opinion RUINS this bike is the annoying air intake roar.
Mine makes a terrible din particularly around 5500 to 6000 rpm ( the sweet spot where you are accelerating up through the gears or overtaking someone)!!!!
Has anyone else experienced this or have I bought a lemon???
Itís acceptable (I guess) on some street racer bike where yourctrying to impress your mates, but on a Ďrefinedí GS ....... come on! Itís just embarrassing! Add that to the TERRIBLE noise that comes from the top of the engine and it just sounds like itís about to spill the contents on the roadside!
What can o do to keep the intake quieter?? Different filter? Bigger air box??
HELP!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the "Bag of nails" engine noise is something to be annoyed about I suppose, but the roar is not so bad

BMW G310GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda Forza.
Brava210 is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
I dont like the air intake roar either
It feels like the engine will blast off at any moment (in high rpm)
Will changing the air filter make the roar go away or atleast refine it a bit ?
If yes then which are the good ones on market?
Rahul Khatri is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Palawan, Philippines
Posts: 73
Garage
In comparison.... I also ride an XMAX 300i maxiscooter. Engines are about the same size. Roughly the same output, but the Yamaha ( as well as being quite noticeably faster than the GS) is SILENT! No top end noise; no inlet roar! And itís hugely less vibrating.
So much for German engineering. Youíre being taught a lesson by the Japanese!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G0MYW likes this.
Geoff PD is online now  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Khatri View Post
I dont like the air intake roar either
It feels like the engine will blast off at any moment (in high rpm)
Will changing the air filter make the roar go away or atleast refine it a bit ?
If yes then which are the good ones on market?
Nope, changing the filter will not make the induction sound go away. The airbox volume and shape(length of snorkel/trumpet) are frequency tuned to the engine. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

And yes there are at least to alternative so called free flowing airfilters on the market, KN and BMC, here is the BMC variant: https://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/st...93-20/1604/art

I would not waste money on it.

Here you can see how to change the filter on a G310 R:
G0MYW likes this.
P.J. is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: York UK
Posts: 79
If you want to hear bad noises, find a Ducati 916 / 996 /999 / 748 / 749
My 748 at tick over was making such a rattling noise, it was if the whole engine was about to fall out- in fact it was embarrassing at traffic lights - dry clutch basket and open cover.
As for intake noise it was if it was sucking the life out of the local wildlife. I have no idea how it got past for noise levels even with a oem exhaust - it was loud. When bought they should have come with a lifetime supply of earplugs.
My mate used to joke - 'shall we go and scare some old ladies and suck rabbits out of the hedges'
Bas310, G0MYW and Brava210 like this.
Tukemeister is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Brava210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
In comparison.... I also ride an XMAX 300i maxiscooter. Engines are about the same size. Roughly the same output, but the Yamaha ( as well as being quite noticeably faster than the GS) is SILENT! No top end noise; no inlet roar! And itís hugely less vibrating.
So much for German engineering. Youíre being taught a lesson by the Japanese!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here I have a Honda Forza 300 Scooter, the engine is silent and very quick.
I do still enjoy the GS, I find it very easy to flick about, just the engine does not inspire confidence
Geoff PD likes this.

BMW G310GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda Forza.
Brava210 is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Brava210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
In comparison.... I also ride an XMAX 300i maxiscooter. Engines are about the same size. Roughly the same output, but the Yamaha ( as well as being quite noticeably faster than the GS) is SILENT! No top end noise; no inlet roar! And itís hugely less vibrating.
So much for German engineering. Youíre being taught a lesson by the Japanese!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here I have a Honda Forza 300 Scooter, the engine is silent and very quick.
I do still enjoy the GS, I find it very easy to flick about, just the engine does not inspire confidence

BMW G310GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda Forza.
Brava210 is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Roar of the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
As a new owner of this otherwise fabulous machine, the one REALLY embarrassing thing that in my opinion RUINS this bike is the annoying air intake roar.
Mine makes a terrible din particularly around 5500 to 6000 rpm ( the sweet spot where you are accelerating up through the gears or overtaking someone)!!!!
Has anyone else experienced this or have I bought a lemon???
Itís acceptable (I guess) on some street racer bike where yourctrying to impress your mates, but on a Ďrefinedí GS ....... come on! Itís just embarrassing! Add that to the TERRIBLE noise that comes from the top of the engine and it just sounds like itís about to spill the contents on the roadside!
What can o do to keep the intake quieter?? Different filter? Bigger air box??
HELP!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the thing I never noticed when I first test rode this bike a year back.
Then, when I rode it in a test before I purchased it I flogged it and that's when the intake came alive
and I thought WOW! I ride with silicone ear plugs and a full helmet when riding any distance but no matter this intake can be annoying but with plugs in there is just the lower hum and I'm fine with it. However, I think you need to let someone else ride your bike down the street and you'll find that to others it's just not that loud or annoying.
When you ride on top of a bike you hear it all.
However, my 2018 R1200GS Adventure with the 1200 water boxer motor was very loud up on top.
My R Nine T Scrambler not at all. I miss that bike.
Brava210 likes this.
shapemaster is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome