Oil Level Sight Glass Concern - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Oil Level Sight Glass Concern

Hello,

I recently filled the oil myself. And I noticed the MAX and MIN level are not matching the red circle of the sight glass. I also checked the manual, I noticed the oil level lines on the bike are actually mirrored respect with the center-line of the sight glass. Now I am really worried, should I trust the MIN MAX lines on the bike anymore? Recently I did only fill the oil about the MIN level on my bike as you can see from the second pic. And I noticed the bike does not sound well at high rpm. So I suspect this MIN level line is not the trus MIN level line. I also checked the diagram, and it seems the level lines on our bikes are not correct. The real MAX should be around on the top of the red circle and MIN should be slightly above the center of the red circle.

I am really worried now. Can anyone check if this happens to your bike as well?

One more question, I did over fill the oil at first. And I notice there is some bubbles when engine running at high temp. Is it normal to have bubbles in the oil? I bought my oil from SierraBMW, I assume the oil should be legit.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	709321799.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	13554   Click image for larger version

Name:	1374224115.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	13556   Click image for larger version

Name:	984704928.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	13558   Click image for larger version

Name:	1174799526.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	13560  

Last edited by whatever; 08-18-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:21 AM
PCV

I have not heard of a change in oil quantities between production runs.

It looks like the plate holding the glass has been fitted upside down according to the level lines. But that doesn't explain why, if that is the case, the max and min lettering has been transposed and upside down. Strange indeed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
Well the manual says that an oil/filter change takes 1.7lt
So if that is measured in you'll see on the sight glass where that line is.
It also gives 0.25lt being the difference between max +min.
just for info, my oil level is as your 2nd pic - but is at the Max level on the casting, so about 1/2 way up the glass.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCV View Post
I have not heard of a change in oil quantities between production runs.

It looks like the plate holding the glass has been fitted upside down according to the level lines. But that doesn't explain why, if that is the case, the max and min lettering has been transposed and upside down. Strange indeed.
It really annoys me. It would be terrible if those engineers knew they did it incorrectly then just leave a mistake uncorrected and make the best of it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0MYW View Post
Well the manual says that an oil/filter change takes 1.7lt
So if that is measured in you'll see on the sight glass where that line is.
It also gives 0.25lt being the difference between max +min.
just for info, my oil level is as your 2nd pic - but is at the Max level on the casting, so about 1/2 way up the glass.
I think I did not emptied all of the oil. Even I only filled around 1.66L, the sight glass is completely full. Now, I drained to the MIN already, but I think I should fill 1/2 way up the glass like you did.
G0MYW likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
I assume you are looking at the sight glass when the bike is level (sometimes tough to do without a buddy or a center stand).

I just had my bike serviced at the local BMW motorad dealership and my oil level shows about 3/4 ways up the glass.

I think you have a value concern with the min/max lines. I personally would ignore and go between 1/2 and 3/4 on the sight glass.

I would be more concerned with your statement "Recently I did only fill the oil about the MIN level on my bike as you can see from the second pic. And I noticed the bike does not sound well at high rpm".
G0MYW likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 AM

I have the same concerns with my 310R. When I purchased the bike, the oil level was at the top of the glass and I thought it was overfilled.

After I had my 600mi service, the dealership also filled near the top. I asked if it was overfilled and they said it was ok, so not sure what is the issue with the sight glass marks on this bike (my first non jap bike).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Marking lines are fine as on your photo. Don't forget you just can't check the oil without running it first and then waiting 30sec or so before checking. Check the manual as I can't remember the exact procedure. Oil might have to be up to temp first also.

If your oil bubbles, you probably overfilled.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Make sure you have the bike upright when checking the oil, not on its stand. Best to have somebody help you by sitting on the bike while you check the oil level if you are not comfortable holding the bike up by yourself.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Just update, I filled the oil from the super lower level as you can see from my second pic to slightly above the MAX line. WOW, it drank almost 400cc from the low level to mid of sight glass. Now, the valve noise is gone. The engine feels okay now. But, God **** it. I can feel the air intake noise again now!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page