BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Spools/Paddock Stands

15K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ARBOLMANO 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, new here to the forum, just bought my g310gs a little less than 2 weeks ago.

I was wondering about spools and paddock stands for winter storage but can't seem to find any info on where spools would even be installed on the bike. If anyone could help me out with links, info or even pics that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

#4 ·
....The paddock stand I'm buying has interchangeable brackets, and you put on the 'V' shaped bracket which fits under the front axle to lift the front wheel. If you wanted to take off both wheels I guess you'd have to think of a way to support the back of the bike after the wheel was off.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Paddock stand with "L" brackets, as had been mentioned or R&G makes a set of spools that use a long bolt through the hollow rear axle. The problem with the R&G is that you can't remove the rear wheel when it's on the stand. I now have a Pit Bull stand (with "L" brackets) and will make you a deal on the R&G bit. If I can find it. ;-)

#11 ·
If somebody, especially in Canada, is interested in inexpensive rear wheel stand, here is a link:
Maxx Universal Rear Stand
I was rather hesitant to buy it, as the price is half the cost of least expensive stands on FortNine. What a pleasant surprise, well made, sturdy, safe and free shipping. Both the spool forks and swingarm paddles are included. The support paddles are U shaped and rubber coated and fit perfectly and safely on 310r swingarm without any mods.

#12 ·
As with everything, you pay your money and take your choice. I have R&G cotton reel spools on the rear, R&G front axle protectors and use an Oxford paddock stand to lift the bike up. I also have the Rally Raid engine/sump protection which provides a flat base to use a bike lift. It's not the cheapest way of doing it but it does provide all the options.

#13 ·
My preference would be center stand, which should be installed on every bike except perhaps racing bikes. Hopefully aftermarket will come up with something soon. Then we wouldn’t have to go to extremes like hanging the bike from the ceiling beam as suggested by PCV.

#15 ·
Anyone tried or know if it's possible to drill & tap the machined bosses to take spools? Not sure how deep the adjuster thread is! At Ø15mm (approx. Ø5/8") these bosses might be a bit on the small side to provide an adequate footprint. Just asking!
I think your safest bet is to buy a paddock stand with the U shaped paddles to support the swing arm. Something like I linked in my post higher up in this thread.

#17 ·
I bought some bobbins that have a bolt that goes through the hole in the rear axle and mount either side. they work a treat with the oxford rear stand, as that come with the both mounting attachments so bobbins are left on bike, if i want to remove the rear wheel switch to the L shaped brackets ...i will also add that i bought the oxford front stand it does say for up to 17inch wheels but it will lift the 19 inch front wheels 25mm approx. of the ground just enough to remove the front wheel .
rear bolt bobbins

#18 ·
["Then we wouldn’t have to go to extremes like hanging the bike from the ceiling beam as suggested"]

I find having a hoist on my garage ceiling not extreme at all. And it is VERY handy. I have a wheel chock that I use with the front or rear tire, and lift the other end as high as I need. It would lift the entire bike, but I have never tried it. It was a new in box hoist that someone had bought and never used. I bought it for $85. Purchased the parts (brackets, steel, (2), 8 foot 4x4's needed for across the trusses, threaded rods and washers, nuts to bolt it up. It came in handy for changing the rear tire of a 1200gs that had been lowered and no longer had a center stand. If you have a place for one,go for it! It makes working on any bike a lot easier. with a slight tension it holds the bike upright for checking oil level.

#20 ·
United States riders - got a deal on a rear paddock stand from Harbor Freight today with the L brackets. Works like a champ. I’m actually pretty impressed with the quality. (I have used Pit Bills in the past).
Pics are with it still wrapped in case I had any issue with it but it’s a keeper. $44 USD this Labor Day weekend with the coupon.

Attachments

#22 ·
Yeah HF! It is something that one shouldn’t have to spend much money on. Traditionally center stands are not used on smaller units, the extra weight just not warranted as it’s so easy to support the lighter bikes. Other viable alternatives would include using a floor jack under skid plate, deadicated motorcycle jack or my personal advisment is to invest in a lift. A lift makes everything so much easier, no bending over. Much better visibility etc. Several out there under $500 the HF model around $300 a worthwhile investment Actually make sweet bench when not being used. I’ve been known to use a winch from rafters too but can get tricky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.