What would you have done ? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

What would you have done ?

Yesterday evening on way home went to a filling station to fuel up.
Next petrol pump along was a very new, very large GS1200 with every conceivable extra fitted. Rider had arrived shortly before me so completed filling up first, it was one of those garages that make you remove your helmet to obtain fuel. I smiled and nodded to my fellow biker as you do. Rider walked past me, and said ''there should be a law against calling that a GS'' and walked off shaking his head, before I had chance to say anything. was an older man who should know better.
I went into pay, he was a further down the queue than me, paid for his fuel and walked out without making any further comment or eye contact.
Whilst I was paying for my fuel there was such a loud crash from outside, when I went out the big GS was laid on its side and the man was struggling to pick it up, in fact he could not.
What would you have done ?..........
gregtixa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Help him up is what I think I would have done, probably, bit depending on other circumstances (are others stepping in to help, how grumpy he seemed). I might have said something like "Now see, you wouldn't need help if you would have a modern GS, like me".
Bas310 likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 AM

I would love to say I would have come up with a great one-liner to get back at him, but I know myself better. I would have probably walked over and helped him get it back on the stand without saying a word. That would probably eat at him more, anyway.
Bas310 likes this.

Red 2018 G310GS
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyTailpipe View Post
I would love to say I would have come up with a great one-liner to get back at him, but I know myself better. I would have probably walked over and helped him get it back on the stand without saying a word. That would probably eat at him more, anyway.
Sadly I know myself and the one liner would of came right after he made the comment ''there should be a law against calling that a GS'' and it probably would have been something like "there should be a law against Ass Holes".

Once I returned to the pumps and he was struggling to get it up I would of helped - it's my nature. I may of also went over and laid my bike on its side and picked it up by myself just for fun. If I had time I would of suggested a history lesson in the evolution of the GS. Attached pic is the first GS. I personally believe that market will eventually be pushed back to the midsize/smaller GS models.

Ultimately he's a dick and those type guys have a small one and are compensating with the purchase of this type of bike, car, truck, etc...

Got to love Karma though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330px-BMW_R_80_GS-crop.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	13636  
Bas310 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
I would have helped him without saying anything snarky. Just because he was being a jerk doesn't mean you need to respond in the same manner. In fact, being civil and helpful is perhaps the best put-down available in the circumstances. Inside you can chuckle and say, "what a jerk and he's too weak to lift his own bike."
Bas310 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
I think most bikers will help each other, despite as others have , he's a complete D!CK.
Its not your fault bmw called it a gs.
I often refer to my 310 as an Indian made bike with a bmw badge stuck to it.
What Mr D!CK Head, fails to realise is that bmw would like 310 onwers to gradually/eventually move up the range of their bikes.

I think Tukemeister , you secretly had quite a smug feeling later that day..
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM

I dont know if you guys watched this review or not, but it was fun.
G0MYW likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Be real nice to him, help him get his bike back up and then say 'maybe we should swap, that's obviously too much bike for you'.
Bas310 and Cees Klumper like this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukemeister View Post
Yesterday evening on way home went to a filling station to fuel up.
Next petrol pump along was a very new, very large GS1200 with every conceivable extra fitted. Rider had arrived shortly before me so completed filling up first, it was one of those garages that make you remove your helmet to obtain fuel. I smiled and nodded to my fellow biker as you do. Rider walked past me, and said ''there should be a law against calling that a GS'' and walked off shaking his head, before I had chance to say anything. was an older man who should know better.
I went into pay, he was a further down the queue than me, paid for his fuel and walked out without making any further comment or eye contact.
Whilst I was paying for my fuel there was such a loud crash from outside, when I went out the big GS was laid on its side and the man was struggling to pick it up, in fact he could not.
What would you have done ?..........
We'd love to know what you did, given the situation, either way would be totally acceptable.
G0MYW likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

To be honest I was very slow in going to help, I was trying to think of a one liner, but couldn't.
I helped him get it upright, when I looked at him I thought it he was going to have a heart attack. Suddenly I thought of my bosses one liner - said it and then felt bad because he still looked like he was about to have a heart attack.
I said to him '' always remember, you only get one chance at making a first impression mate ''
He muttered thank you, but that was all he could manage.
porth, Bas310, G0MYW and 1 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page