BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

What would you have done ?

7K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  aob 
#1 ·
Yesterday evening on way home went to a filling station to fuel up.
Next petrol pump along was a very new, very large GS1200 with every conceivable extra fitted. Rider had arrived shortly before me so completed filling up first, it was one of those garages that make you remove your helmet to obtain fuel. I smiled and nodded to my fellow biker as you do. Rider walked past me, and said ''there should be a law against calling that a GS'' and walked off shaking his head, before I had chance to say anything. was an older man who should know better.
I went into pay, he was a further down the queue than me, paid for his fuel and walked out without making any further comment or eye contact.
Whilst I was paying for my fuel there was such a loud crash from outside, when I went out the big GS was laid on its side and the man was struggling to pick it up, in fact he could not.
What would you have done ?..........

#2 ·
Help him up is what I think I would have done, probably, bit depending on other circumstances (are others stepping in to help, how grumpy he seemed). I might have said something like "Now see, you wouldn't need help if you would have a modern GS, like me".

Reactions: Bas310
#4 ·

Sadly I know myself and the one liner would of came right after he made the comment ''there should be a law against calling that a GS'' and it probably would have been something like "there should be a law against *** Holes".

Once I returned to the pumps and he was struggling to get it up I would of helped - it's my nature. I may of also went over and laid my bike on its side and picked it up by myself just for fun. >:) If I had time I would of suggested a history lesson in the evolution of the GS. Attached pic is the first GS. I personally believe that market will eventually be pushed back to the midsize/smaller GS models.

Ultimately he's a dick and those type guys have a small one and are compensating with the purchase of this type of bike, car, truck, etc...

Got to love Karma though :laugh:

Attachments

#5 ·
I would have helped him without saying anything snarky. Just because he was being a jerk doesn't mean you need to respond in the same manner. In fact, being civil and helpful is perhaps the best put-down available in the circumstances. Inside you can chuckle and say, "what a jerk and he's too weak to lift his own bike."

#6 ·
I think most bikers will help each other, despite as others have , he's a complete D!CK.
Its not your fault bmw called it a gs.
I often refer to my 310 as an Indian made bike with a bmw badge stuck to it.
What Mr D!CK Head, fails to realise is that bmw would like 310 onwers to gradually/eventually move up the range of their bikes.

I think Tukemeister , you secretly had quite a smug feeling later that day..

#10 ·
To be honest I was very slow in going to help, I was trying to think of a one liner, but couldn't.
I helped him get it upright, when I looked at him I thought it he was going to have a heart attack. Suddenly I thought of my bosses one liner - said it and then felt bad because he still looked like he was about to have a heart attack.
I said to him '' always remember, you only get one chance at making a first impression mate ''
He muttered thank you, but that was all he could manage.

#13 ·
This is weird poetic justice, but I would have smugly helped him lift it. Rotten people bring misfortune. I had my own experience like this-

Just last week I was in the Alps on a rental bike. I had wanted a smallish bike but due to many snafu's I ended up on a 1250r (my 310r's big daddy so to speak), a much larger bike than I prefer or have ever ridden! Anyway, I went on a group ride with other hotel guests. 10 min into a riding a new to me bike, we turned on some terrifying one lane switch backs, like I had never seen before-and I am an experienced rider. Needless to say I was being careful. So we get to an overlook and some guy comes up to me and starts berating me for riding too slow (he was German, so accent made it scarier). I bumbled to him about just passing me. Well.........guess who dropped their rental bike that day to the tune of 1000 Euro damage? Not me. I refused to thank the Karma goddesses until I safely returned my bike days later without a scratch.

#24 ·
Since I can readily right his bike i would have without engaging at all and then walked silently back to my own and ridden off.

words are wasted on people like him.

besides anyone with off road experience knows the r12gs is a horrible fat pig.

I had a grom before my G310R. I also have an ST1300 and a CBR1000RR so I really do not understand the bigotry some display against smaller bikes.

Makes you think their manhood easily threatened.

There can also be little doubt that a G310gs would humiliate the r12gs in the dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.