Screen Wobble! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geoff PD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Screen Wobble!

I tried a search on the forum but didn't find anything so here goes....

I've fitted a Puig style touring screen on my GS, and although I'm happy with the looks and general performance, I've now fitted an MRA Varioscreen blade in an attempt to push more of the air away from my head. I've fitted these to ALL of my bikes so far!

HOWEVER.....I have noticed that even with just the Puig screen fitted, the screen wobbles a LOT especially in slower moving traffic and uneven roads! At speed (40, 50 kph+) the wind pressure on the screen tends to stabilise everything somewhat, but it still wobbles.
When I recently had all the plastic off to fit a USB power supply socket, I noticed that 2 of the screen bolts are only fixed to the plastic instrument cover, and as this flexes easily, so the screen moves with it!

So. My question is.....
Somewhere I saw a taller screen advertised which came with 'arms' which connected (I think) to the 2 exposed screws at the sides of the 'cheeks' and stopped the screen wobble.
Has anybody fitted a taller screen with these support arms? Or has anyone like me made any 'arms' to stop the screen wobble?

I'd be interested to see any pictures as a guide for my forthcoming construction.

Last edited by Geoff PD; 11-13-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: text correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:52 AM

This one?

For R:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Windschild-A...YAAOSw6OtdQ~KZ

or this for GS:

https://shop.motousher.com/products/...gs-smoked-grey

Here is the information by Wunderlich in german:

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/de/bm...44921-005.html

look at the small pictures, than you see the brackets

G 310 GS

Last edited by Toldi; 11-14-2019 at 02:05 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Why would you buy a naked bike and then try to fit a huge screen to it.
Surely you would be better with a bike that was designed with a fairing as standard to keep the wind off the rider.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Surely you would be better with a bike that was designed with a fairing as standard to keep the wind off the rider.
Well to (surprising have to) answer your question .....

The G310GS is marketed as an Adventure bike and is supplied with a small screen. It is NOT a naked bike. The G310R is a naked street bike, but I didn't buy one of those.
The whole concept of an adventure bike is that you can tour for long distances (which can mean extended miles on the highway) in reasonable comfort and then have the ability to go 'offroad' and enjoy the otherwise inaccessible places that a road bike can't easily go!
The PUIG touring screen is quite small compared to some larger screens. Personally I don't like huge great screens which is why I chose the Puig style.
Having said that, by further adding the MRA adjustable 'blade' you are able to deflect more air and ride in more comfort without having to resort to a huge screen.
W8NONU likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Garage
I have the one with the Arms. From Aliexpress.

Here is a quick Picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1417.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	13880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	13882  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to clarify here..... I am NOT going to change my Puig screen. Itís just about perfect in both aesthetics and performance for the bike, especially with the addition of the MRA blade!
What I want to do is fabricate a pair of strengthening Ďarmsí and fit to the Puig screen.
Iím interested to see screens with these Ďarmsí and hear opinions if they actually cure the wobble!
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
Just to clarify here..... I am NOT going to change my Puig screen. Itís just about perfect in both aesthetics and performance for the bike, especially with the addition of the MRA blade!
What I want to do is fabricate a pair of strengthening Ďarmsí and fit to the Puig screen.
Iím interested to see screens with these Ďarmsí and hear opinions if they actually cure the wobble!
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. I will try to get you some more detailed pictures of those support arms so that you can fabricate and fit them to your existing Puig. The arms help but do NOT cure the wobble off-road. Onroad I would say they minimize it by 50-60%.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
Quote:
Well to (surprising have to) answer your question .....

The G310GS is marketed as an Adventure bike and is supplied with a small screen. It is NOT a naked bike. The G310R is a naked street bike, but I didn't buy one of those.
The whole concept of an adventure bike is that you can tour for long distances (which can mean extended miles on the highway) in reasonable comfort and then have the ability to go 'offroad' and enjoy the otherwise inaccessible places that a road bike can't easily go!
The PUIG touring screen is quite small compared to some larger screens. Personally I don't like huge great screens which is why I chose the Puig style.
Having said that, by further adding the MRA adjustable 'blade' you are able to deflect more air and ride in more comfort without having to resort to a huge screen.
Ah, l am really sorry l did not read your original post properly and l thought you had bought the naked G310R
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakul Malik View Post
OK. I will try to get you some more detailed pictures of those support arms so that you can fabricate and fit them to your existing Puig. The arms help but do NOT cure the wobble off-road. Onroad I would say they minimize it by 50-60%.
Thanks for your help. Certainly off road they're not going to stop any screen moving around, but the 50 to 60% figure is worth having.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Ah, l am really sorry l did not read your original post properly and l thought you had bought the naked G310R
No problem at all. It's always a problem trying to follow comments when different posters may have different bike styles. I'm often a little trigger happy when responding to others' comments.
Safe riding!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page