Pannier rack - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Pannier rack

Anyone who would mind sharing pictures of their pannier rack, where it is mounted and the sizes of it please. I want to build myself one please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
Iím the same. I want to use Pelican style boxes as panniers so need racks with simple bolted fixing points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Hey Guys,

So I wanted the same thing and looked into this option. Once I looked up the tube, the design efforts and all the hardware, I realized the guy at Caribou Luggage isn't asking very much for his part on his design efforts.

I went ahead and just decided to go with his system so I'll try to detail for you what they did and what's great about it. This system is based on Hepco Becker racks.

First off, the racks mount up from the 2 pairs of under bolts on the back (one of which supports the muffler hanger). Those 4 bolts do most of the heavy lifting and the bottoms are mounted to the tops of the pillion peg extensions. There is a transverse bar across the back to lock the 2 racks together. If I was building one, I'd make this bar either a half circle that stuck out from the back or went up, so as to give the rear tire room for full articulation. I found this out the hard way this past weekend, fully loaded out in the desert. I came off a big jump and heard a big boom. later saw that the back tire had risen up and hit that bar and caused it to bend up into a V. I was able to straighten it out, but I'd like to modify it to prevent this from happening again.

The attachment system they use is bomber and should never come off unexpectedly except in a hard crash, as they explain. I carry a coupe of the spare lock pins should this ever happen.

The cases are fully lockable and secure. I have no fears of someone being able to get any of these panniers off my bike without serious tool intervention.

I also mounted "tool tubes" vertically on the back sides of my side cases where I keep 2 MSR fuel bottles, giving me some extra fuel range.

Good luck in designing your own. I have to give them credit where due, the guys at Caribou have taken this challenge and succeeded well on it. I'm very happy with my system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4351.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	13902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4350.JPG
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	13904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	13906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	13908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4347.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	13910  

Name:	IMG_4346.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	13912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4345.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	13914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	13916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.JPG
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	13918  
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 02:00 AM

Garage
Like Chad's setup, I want to use Pelican style side cases (I already have a 'Pelican' top case).
However rather than trying to bend tubes into a rectangular frame which would be difficult for me with my available resources, I thought of using the Shad 3P type of frame which would use 3 fixing points to the cases (2 along the top and 1 at the front base by the footpeg area), but then have a 4th fixing which was basically a transverse bar between the rear corner of both side cases. I think with a suitably large mounting plate to spread the load together with the considerable strength of these cases, this should survive all but the most severe 'offs'.
Obviously this would mean the cases were definitely not quick release! But I'm ok with that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shad 3P system.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	13946  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page