BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

aftermarket brake disc/rotor

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  akilanasc3 
#1 ·
I am still not satisfied with the front brake. I have changed that MC to Magura 12mm and this improved the braking by, let's say, 40%, but still, it feels that I need to press the brake lever very hard in an emergency. The bike has stainless steel brake lines and I put very good brake fluid. It all just makes no sense. My MC is superb, and the radial calliper is great. by the process of elimination, I can only find fault with the disc brake. there are two available on the web - EBC and Galfer. From my experience, the Galfer is much superior, though more expensive. It is also a floating disc, which is very suitable for the non-floating caliper. I will let you guys know how it goes.

#4 ·
yes, I changed to Brembo HH pads, even though the OEM are probably Brembo too. I did not see much improvement. I installed Galfer rotors in my 2 other bikes, and they are the best money can buy, so I am having some hopes here.

#3 ·
keep us updated.
I have had a very minor improvement with brembo "red" brake pads.
A week ago i've had the brake recall and they replaced the parts. I expected a kind of improvement but it remained unchanged. I've got as a substitute bike a new F850, and when I returned it and jumped on again the G310 the difference in braking power was very impressive, too huge

#5 · (Edited)
so I have received the brake disc. it is a piece of art and I was able to get it rather cheap on ebay, just over 100 pounds. i will fit it probably tomorrow and see how it improves the quality of braking. it is a full floating disc, and Galfer is the one that invented wave rotors where the wavy pattern is not only on the outside but also on the inside.

Attachments

#10 ·
another EBC person confirmed that it is a solid rotor. does anyone know who is the manufacturer of the front brake disc for 310? I suspect that it is Bybre, or in other words, the fake Brembo.

#12 ·
ByBre stays for By Brembo it is owned directly by brembo and produces in Asia. Typically braking systems for scooters or small motorcycles.

If I have to judge from the braking system of the G310 (brake racall and poor braking power), it seems that they are not producing "quality" items, at the level of Brembo ones

#13 ·
Recall is due to corrosion. Every modern motorcycle seems to suffer from this when exposed to salt so it's not a Bybre quality issue.

Bad design? Yes, but I'm not aware of any caliper that has the protective bellows that they used to have (and which cars still have). Personally I would rather have a fractionally wider caliper that did not require to be stripped every couple of years. Braking power seems OK to me, coming from a twin disc SV 650 (not as good, obviously).