BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

forks

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  oldtimer.ca 
#1 ·
good day you all....

How big of a problem is it when one of my forks is leaking a little bit of oil?

#2 ·
It could be a small problem, easy to solve, if it's only a piece of dirt inside the lip of the oil seal.. Before starting any dismounting, try with a piece of stiff plastic film (from a PET bottle or similar) between the fork tube and the sealing. Search "fix your fork seal leak" and choose any video.

#7 ·
No need to panic, yet. There could be, what seems to be, a considerable amount of oil between the seals. It has accumulated there before it started to show outside the dust seal. First try to fix it by cleaning out any possible dirt. The warranty doesn't usually cover wear and tear. A worn-out seal doesn't sound like an error in production or material. But it is up to your dealer.

#11 ·
i dont have a seal mate
The SeaMate® is nothing but a thin piece of plastic, cut to the shape of a thick "S" (Yes, I have got myself one.) Somebody has been smart enough to marketi it and make money on it. I also have the SealDoctor®. The first I got from an employer for testing, the second I bought because you never know if you have a PET bottle when you need one 😏 I've yet to use them, but I have them with me on long trips. In my workshop I usually take the fork tubes apart and change the seals, 'cause they're cheap consumables.

#14 ·
I don't have the dimensions and I would propably just order them by bike mode, if I had to change minel. Any motorcycle parts dealer propably has suitable seals. If you want the OEM parts, you can find the partnumber from a workshop manual or from many different sources on the web. Here is one good source for BMW part numbers. As you haven't revealed what model of BMW G310 you have, I've put the link to the GS model, because I have a shortcut to that in my browser. And as your signature shows no location, it's not easy to advice you of where it's best to by the fork seals, should you want to buy them over the counter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.