BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Seat removal

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  PCV 
#1 ·
On my GS the lock to release the seat is damaged, key just turns & turns
Anyone know how I can remove the seat to replace the lock ?

#2 ·
Sounds like the lock cable has disengaged from the key lock, this may be difficult to repair. I don't think that the side panels can be removed without removing the seat, it might be possible to remove the floor panel and try to access the cable that way?? I suggest you get in contact with the dealership to see if they can help you.

#3 ·
The bike had been stolen & recovered (before I bought it) The little fcukers broke the ignition cylinder off & buggered up the seat lock too. I’d say the cable is still connected but the cylinder is just turning without doing anything

I might have a word with my locksmith as well as the dealer....

#4 ·
There are different reasons why the seat lock wont operate. If it's only the lock that is broken or the nut on the lock has come loose, try this: take a piece of steel wire, bend one end about 1 cm in a sharp angle, try too hook the cable near the key hole and pull.
With the same piece of wire, you can try to hook the latch from behind the seat.
I'll try to post pictures later today, when I've been to my garage.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :wink2:

hasselman, photos would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very mechanically minded & couldn't see a 'way in' when I looked at it yesterday

Tukemeister, yep the lock is damaged beyond repair so drilling it out could be the way forward

#10 ·
I'll send the photos and explanations directly to you.
Thanks Manne, really appreciate the photos. Unfortunately I didn’t get out to the garage tonight though..

Does this diagram help you at all
Cheers mate. I’m aware of how it operates but I needed to know how I could get at the mechanism with the seat still on. I think hasselman’s photos & his suggestion of ‘going fishing’ with the wire should do the trick. Update to follow once I get a chance to try it....

#12 ·
Got it :smile2:

Tried getting in to either end of the cable with a metal coat hanger but no joy. In the end I removed the rear grab rail, which I wanted to remove anyway (unlikely to have a top box on it), & then I took off the 6 bolts on the underside cover up to the tail light & with a pair of screwdrivers prised it out from under the plastic ‘side rails’. This allowed me to see that, although the plastic cam was turning with the key, the pull cable was disconnected from it. By pulling the cable free I was able to pull the end & release the seat :cool:

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.