BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Lockdown / Quarantine Projects.

8K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Geoff PD 
#1 ·
Despite perfect weather and outstanding scenery and destinations all around me, I’m on enforced lockdown at home.
So rather than stare at my bike silhouetted by the blue sky and blistering sunshine, I thought it would be a time for a few projects.
Now as well as being o boredom buster, my main project is fueled by lack of finances as much as availability. I want to add some luggage in the form of Pelican style side cases. These I can buy relatively easily on line, but it was the mounting frames which were my biggest problem.
Although I’m confident enough with fabrication and welding, there is NOWHERE that I could get right bends fabricated to make the frames. So quite some time ago I decided to follow the Shad 3P type of frames (Google it), because they have no complex bending AND when the cases are removed they look pretty innocuous on the bike.
So I sat down on my AutoCAD system and drew the layout drawing attached!

I’m waiting for the tube to be delivered to start.
At the front the tube is flattened, bent and made onto a bracket which picks up on the screw at the back of the rear pegs.
There is another bracket which picks up the fixing screws for the rear carrier which are welded to the tubes.
There are 3 fixing points onto the Pelican cases, and then 1 cross rail between the rear of both cases for extra stability.
The cost of the frame will be extremely small.
Once I’ve made it and proved that it works I’ll post pictures on here together with my CAD drawings so anyone can follow suit.
Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't promise any pictures of success, but I too have started a "project". I'm trying to learn welding. My intention is to make a tire-change device. Something similar and a mix of MAX2H EVO2 and OLMAX MOTORS Reifenmontiergerät I have no intentions to start a competing business, just trying to use my time to learn a new skill and maybe save some money. In the end I'm afraid I will spend more on learning than if I bought a ready made device. But I'm also sure I wouldn't learn as much in the later case.

#5 ·
I’m back.
Winter is over and the cold is gone.
It’s not that we had a serious winter but the decision to take the car or the beemer ............
But, in the last few days I had the opportunity to put some miles (km) on the clock.
Because of the corona crisis we are able to work at home and my experience is that you can do more in an hour at home (working) than at work we’re everything pops in with questions.
Nice sunny weather, good temperature and a bike that really wants to go out.
I spent 3 days in the saddle and it took some time to get used to the bike and road conditions (and car drivers that are not used to motorcycles after the winter season!!!)
Coming home yesterday I saw two things that were “interesting” .
1. Riding a motorcycle is not the smartest thing to do now (corona)
2. The amount of infections and death raised quite dramatically.

Ad 1) the reason not to Ride is that if you get involved in an accident, you have to go to hospital (intensive care) and they now need all the beds they have for the virus.
Ad 2) the reason for this rise is the fact that some / most people do not listen to the advice of our government and still go shopping, walking in the woods / beaches and don’t take some save distance.

I now spent my time in the house and “talk” to you by this forum.
The positive side of all is that I now have time to go through the forum topics.

Keep safe, stay healthy and keep in touch.

#7 ·
Yeh I know about packing the tube with sand to stop collapsing. I don't have any fancy tube bending/forming tools so all I can do is to clamp it in my workmate and do a small bend (say 5 degrees), take it out, move along a little bit, do another 5 degrees and so on until it's bend to the correct angle. So in effect I have a bend which is numerous small increments rather than 1 continuous curve, A little tapping with a hammer and body filler will (hopefully) smooth everything out and make it look reasonable.
Anyway....still no tube to start, but I'll let you know how I get on.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
This may be contentious but here we go anyway, my beautiful beast has had the full treatment, when I bought it it had already had everything that RallyRaid can supply fitted by the previous owner ����
However I want more power, (contentious bit��)
What I don’t want is anyone’s opinion on whether this maybe the correct thing to do, it’s my bike I have two others which are more powerful so want I am wishing to do is unlock the engines potential, I have changed ecu’s on bike previously and I wish to do similar with this, it has an open air box, a scorpion exhaust and I want to know what would be the next addition to unleash more HP, I have looked at Rapid Bike, power commander and Dyno boost but can’t find anyone who has already done this on a G310.
Ride safe people ������

#11 ·
This may be contentious but here we go anyway, my beautiful beast has had the full treatment, when I bought it it had already had everything that RallyRaid can supply fitted by the previous owner ����
However I want more power, (contentious bit��)
What I don’t want is anyone’s opinion on whether this maybe the correct thing to do, it’s my bike I have two others which are more powerful so want I am wishing to do is unlock the engines potential, I have changed ecu’s on bike previously and I wish to do similar with this, it has an open air box, a scorpion exhaust and I want to know what would be the next addition to unleash more HP, I have looked at Rapid Bike, power commander and Dyno boost but can’t find anyone who has already done this on a G310.
Ride safe people ������
Start shaving off some weight, that will help a bit (not in regards to power, but how much power you need for what you want). Change the battery to a lithium battery, etc.. But there is only so much you can do to make the bike more powerful.

#12 ·
Turbo.

You don't mention a budget.....

With a small displacement engine making little horsepower out of the box any power improvements via exhaust system mods, fuelling and ECU changes will also be small. That doesn't mean they won't be significant gains though.

Power to weight improvements like porth mentions will also help, but depending on your current body weight those sorts of improvements are better achieved by limiting the rider's carbon intake rather than by using a carbon fibre air intake, if you know what I mean.

Just get a turbo. It will be a fun project for you during the lockdown.

#13 ·
Let me put it another way, Mr BMW has put his nice little safe mode motor in my bike and now I want to See what it can really do, many years ago this could be achieved by twiddling screws and changing jets, fast forward to today I want to electronically extract as much as I can from this motor and will happily stop just before I melt the piston, Kapeche.
Nothing to do with diet or cutting bits off the bike and throwing bits away, I know that safely locked away in this motor there is possibly another 5 to 8 hp and that will make all the difference when I am adventure riding out bush which I why I bought it with all the Rally Raid fruit already attached, Scorpion exhaust has released a couple already, now I want the rest, I don’t want a safe engine for 100,000 I want some pep for 25,000 😁😎 then I’ll get something else to play with👍

#15 ·
Hola Geoff,

Your initial planz for the Shad 3P compatible needs more angle to it :D

I've taken some pictures for you showing what I mean and how the Shad boxes attach.

This thread seems to have been kind of hijacked by non-technical things that I'm not even going to look at. That's a shame.

I hope the pictures help with your project!

Stay healthy.

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi. I assume that ‘more angle’ you’re referring to the angle of the front rail. Yours look a lot more upright than mine.
I think mine all depend on how tight my bend can be. I need to leave enough room behind the rear pegs for the pillion’s feet before I can start bending upwards, and then a similar space at the top to where it will mount under the rear carrier bolts. This will determine the angle of my ‘upright’ section of the frame.
Hope that makes sense to you.

I’m still on strict lockdown so not sure when I can start this yet. Hopefully I’ll be able to post some pictures sooner rather than later.
Stay safe everyone.

#16 ·
A follow up observation: the plastic blocks at the end of the metal bars are used by the cases to lock on to. It may be tricky getting it to lock without the plastic blocks, and you will need some way to fasten it down. I'm sure you will figure something out when it comes to it.

#20 ·
Can this guy let us enjoy the motorcycle project? Feel free to post your personal opinion somewhere else, like Twitter. Keep talking about irrelevant topics in a specific project topic isn't that kind of a violating the forum rules ? Especially this forum section is called : BMW G310 GS General Discussion. When I browsing this thread, I am very excited to see some craftsmanship or interesting ideas, then o_O

#23 ·
I started this discussion to simply share some projects while we were in lockdown/quarantine. It has been HIJACKED by some people exchanging political arguments.
With respect....Can you take your insults and political views to some other page. I don't want to have to trawl through your arguments to find answers to MOTORBIKE stuff.
Thank you.

#28 ·
are you really lacking power in our small BMW? I would not mind changing the map a bit. yet, I do not see it available yet, unless you guys have other information? but to be frank, it is enough of the power for me. I have big bikes, Versys 1000 and Tiger 800, but I enjoy riding the gs much more. it is a perfect bike, and it never failed me. but I do just ride in the mountains....

#26 ·
Oh and by the way I fixed the lacking power on my G310gs as referred to above, I took it to the local dealer and he liked it a lot and said let me take a closer look at the power issue, turns out all it needed was a replacement Duke 690 R, i gave him some money and the Beemer and road home with a huge smile on my dial, just a couple of figures for reference, 148.5kg & 75 BHP of absolute fun.
sad to part with the Beemer but she was bought for a ride which is now cancelled so thought I might have some fun for a while, looks nice next to my XTZ660 and my dirt bike, ride safe fellas

#34 ·
UPDATE......
The supplier ‘cancelled’ my order for my Pelican side cases for which I was about to manufacture the Shad P3 style racks for.
To say I was pissed off is an massive understatement!
However I managed to find a set of aluminum panniers on a local website complete with a ‘universal’ rack. All of the brackets that came with it are pretty useless so I still need to make attachments for fixings below the grab rail and behind the foot pegs.
They are Chinese made but have to say, every bit as good as my Givi that I paid 3 times the price for fitted to my V-Strom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.