BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

2019 BMW G310GS Coolant Drip

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  G0MYW 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to share my experience after the winter break. I changed the oil and filter, checked tire pressures, checked chain adjustment, etc. prior to taking a 30 minute ride. Upon returning, I noticed some blue coolant on the skid plate; not much but enough to put the fill level below the minimum mark. Granted I didn't check the coolant level before departing. After reading the posts here, I was worried the coolant pump seal was bad. I've had the motorcycle about 1-1/2 years now so I'm sure the warranty has expired. I added a little distilled water because I want to change the coolant to Motul Motocool once I get the crush ring for the coolant drain. Anyway, I took it for a longer ride today and after returning I saw the drain hose and skid plate were dry. Wishful thinking on my part, but I hope the temporary leak was due to the three months of sitting in the garage.

#2 ·
Warranty is usually 3 years depending on which country you are in.

I had some minor 'leaks' in the first 3 months of getting the bike, but this sorted itself out. I also seem to find that the coolant level stabilizes itself just over the minimum mark and if I filled it up past that I would get minor 'leaks' until it dropped back to that level. Haven't topped up the coolant in what seems like forever and it's still above the minimum level. These 'leaks' came from the coolant overflow tube, so I don't know if you can call them leaks.

There are other causes for coolant leaks, so keep an eye on it.

#5 ·
I have had my 2018 G310r for about 7 weeks now and from the outset noticed a minor odd drip from the 'drip tube' after a ride. I have now done about 350 miles and the problem persists and I was hoping this would settle down once the bike was ridden regularly. I have topped the coolant level to above the minimum level mark and have been watching this level after each ride. I have about 3 weeks left on my warranty, so I might be taking this bike back to the supplier before the end of the warranty.

#4 ·
I also noticed a few drips of coolant the first time mine was out of long term storage as well. I took it to local dealer and he said to run it for a bit and it it didn't stop bring it back in. It was common for the seals to dry out a bit and would seat back once the engine got hot. I went for a decent run and I have not had the problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.