• 2 Post By TrentAJ
  • 1 Post By Bas310
  • 1 Post By dejah
  • 1 Post By Gaucho
  • 3 Post By Bas310

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

My Issue With My New G310R

Hello this is my first post on this forum. I've been reading the post's on the forum and have found a lot of this information really helpful which is great. To give some background information, I just turned 20 years old and I live in Modesto California about an hour and a half to two hours inward of San Francisco. I have never owned or ridden motorcycles before this one other than at a safety course.

Today is my 6th day owning the bike. I was riding to my local cycle gear shop in town to get a bike lock and my motorcycle was riding perfectly fine. When I came out of the store to ride to school, my motorcycle had only been off for about 10 minutes. I then turned my 310 on and it fired up normally but then shut off about twenty seconds later. I continued to try and turn it back on a couple more times but it just sounded like it was turning over and over but wouldn't fire up completely. The check engine light came on and also the triangle light with the exclamation came on at the same time.

I then called the dealer that I got the motorcycle from and they gladly picked me up and got me on a R1200R loaner that they have as soon as they could to be able to get me to school. I was a bit nervous at first having gone from really never riding a motorcycle just a week ago to riding the 1200 today but it actually wasn't that scary.

Anyhow, I have been reading some issues on the bike with cold starts and it having to do with fuel or possibly the battery. I have yet to hear back from the dealer but I will let you know what has happened to it and if any of you have suggestions please let me know.

I work for BMW but on the car side of things at my local dealership which is separate from the motorcycle dealership. I love my bike and got an absolutely ridiculous deal for being an employee that maybe i'll talk about in a future post if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I hope they sort out your problem. Someone in the forum had a similar problem and it ended up being a lose connection with the battery I think.

I worked for BMW in Germany in 94-95, I didn't get any great deal as the price for the bike was already quite reduced, but they did give me some extra merchandise which I passed onto my kids.
Nickharo likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 AM

Garage
I have to give my G310R a little throttle while starting on cooler days, or if it was shut off after only running a few minutes. Just roll the throttle on a tiny bit while simultaneously pushing the start button. I keep it revved like this for a 30 seconds or so and that typically works.

The computer isn't as sophisticated as my R1200GS Adventure or the loaner R1200R, so I expect the slightly extra effort on cooler days.

-Trent
G0MYW and Nickharo like this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I just got a call back from the dealer and they said it was a fuel pump. They said that they will need to replace it and already have the part on order. It is now Wednesday and they said I should be riding it by the weekend. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:27 AM

Garage
No worries mate.
I already have a new water pump, clutch cable and front brake pump.
It is not that the Beamer wasnít functioning properly but because it did not feel as it should feel, they replaced it, just in case.
Thatís the BMW warranty.

Donít forget, itís a brand new bike and build ....... in India.
All the other beamers are build and tested in Germany and the alpes (test area for BMWís) and small mishaps are found earlier when tested to the limit.
I do not know how they have tested the G310 in India but they have to live up to BMW quality standards.
Some small things can be looked over and they are replaced when they pop up.

So, donít worry and get out there and ride the G310 and ..... love it !
I still do.
Nickharo likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 AM

According to my dealer in Cannes - France, all the bikes coming from India plant are fully "checked" by BMW Berlin before dispatching in Europe. However I've no idea about the level of checking involved...
Nickharo likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejah View Post
According to my dealer in Cannes - France, all the bikes coming from India plant are fully "checked" by BMW Berlin before dispatching in Europe. However I've no idea about the level of checking involved...
Saw a video about the Indian factory, BMW has a separate production line inside the TVS factory and there were German quality inspectors working there. Don't think they check the bikes once they are shipped to Europe, USA or other countries anymore, just the dealer inspection before delivery I assume.

As Bas says; as long as all parts are replaced, when needed, under warranty that would be ok, but I don't expect many issues.
Nickharo likes this.

'17 G310R Stratoblue and R1200RS Style1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Garage
I don't expect many (more) issues.
Most 'problems' can be checked in advance just because of all the topics on this forum.
That is the stong point of this forum, we learn from each other and each others dealers.
I hope BMW is also scanning this forum.
They can learn a lot and work on their quality from our free advice !
pcjojy, Ligkonakos and Nickharo like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page