Another New Zealander - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Another New Zealander

Hi guys. Was reading this forum for a couple of weeks before buying the g310r (blue) as my first bike.

I have had it for about 5 days now, but only took it out this morning as I only have the 2 hours licensing course under my belt. And with Christmas and public holidays here, there are some maniacs around.

My flaw is I am not afraid of the bike. I am not afraid of riding. I am just afraid of looking like an idiot. Always been a big thing for me, even as a tourist in other countries I avoid taking photos. In NZ motorcyclists are actually few and far between so its not ideal for my paranoia.

Anyway. As some people will be like me, wondering if they should buy the bike as their first bike, here is my experience of the first whopping 7.9km I have done...

Im 183cm, and 10% over 100kg. Not a small guy. The bike is big enough and comfortable enough for me. Tick. Even though nothing is broken in, the clutch is very good if you have large hands like mine (i wear size L gloves). Friction point is in a very comfortable position. Gear shifter really needs some reinforced riding shoes as at the moment its really stiff and if you are NOT like me and ride for more than 10 minutes you may find your foot getting bruised.

Overall even though its more than twice the CC as the suzuki 125 i trained on, it doesnt feel like it. Not in a bad way. Its just that its still easy to take off and stop. Two of the most important learner requirements I guess. First ride on the street ever, and i stalled twice in the driveway (trying not to wake up my hungover neighbours) but once on the road, easy sailing.

Will keep you all updated on further review and experiences, and hopefully some of you have advice for me on how to not care about the possibility of making a mistake and looking like an idiot.

Cheers!
NZWestie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojocrunch View Post
Hi guys. Was reading this forum for a couple of weeks before buying the g310r (blue) as my first bike.
I have had it for about 5 days now, but only took it out this morning as I only have the 2 hours licensing course under my belt. And with Christmas and public holidays here, there are some maniacs around.
Welcome and well done on getting a G310 - you've got yourself a great bike for learning, but it'll be a lot more than that for you.

There are always plenty of loonies around on the roads, but the holiday period is definitely a time to be extra careful, so do watch out for yourself.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks NZWestie. My plan is to get up to speed and do the bronze course when I am ready. Been driving for 12 years and always drive defensively (I am never in a hurry to be that one car in front and refuse the a guy a zip merge), so that will be my plan for motorcycling. However its obviously a completely different skill. But at least the mindset is there.

I am a westie too. (Auckland westie)
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Garage
Hi mojocrunch,
Welkome to this forum.
And
Donít worry about feeling or looking like an idiot, donít we all ;-)
When I started riding motorcycles, somewhere in the seventies, I avoided roads were you could drive faster then 100 km/hr.
I wasnít used to these speeds and I needed the time to get used to the speed, traffic and different circumstances.
Nowadays Iím used to higher speed and still ride normal (keeping my speed to the speed limit - +/- 10% )

The most important issue in riding is always look as far forward as you can.
In this way you can anticipate on what is or can happen.
Most car drivers are not aware that there are also motorcycles on the road and do not see you in their mirrors.
The only good car drivers are the ones that ride a motorcycle too.
Also try to anticipate on what CAN happen. Itís a psychological training in keeping yourself save.
ĎAlwaysí think, Ďif this will happen, what can I do or what is my escape route.
This helps you to survive.

I donít know were you live in NZ but most roads we traveled on are almost deserted (South Island)
The roads around the cities have more traffic but still, in my opinion, quite relaxed.
In our country and the countries around us, traffic is quite busy and traffic jams are more common then driving traffic.

So, be safe out there and ...... ENJOY
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:31 PM

congrats and enjoy the bike
here is another one from new zealand
he has 3 or 4 movies on youtube
NZWestie likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Bas310 thanks for advice.

Almost all highway roads in NZ are as you described. Pretty lucky that way.

I am not sure where you live, but one of the reasons I decided to learn after thinking about it for 10 years was because my second family (not real family but once you visit an Indian family they soon become like your real one) lives in India up in J&K. My long term goal is to ride with them one day instead of being a pillion and having the opportunity to show them around New Zealand on a bike.

I think you are right about the good drivers being motorcyclists. There are always exceptions of course. But i do see some cars move over to make extra room for a rider and presume he is one himself.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I am a westie too. (Auckland westie)
How far out west are you? We have some mighty fine riding roads out this way - great for getting some k's on the 310...

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I reside in the friendly suburb of Ranui at the moment. Would love to start riding out to the beaches when I am more comfortable with traffic.

If you havent already, i have driven down Huia Road area in the car a few times. Feels lile that area is Aucklands version of Akaroa.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
My flaw is I am not afraid of the bike. I am not afraid of riding. I am just afraid of looking like an idiot. Always been a big thing for me, even as a tourist in other countries I avoid taking photos. In NZ motorcyclists are actually few and far between so its not ideal for my paranoia.
hopefully some of you have advice for me on how to not care about the possibility of making a mistake and looking like an idiot.
Cheers!
Hey relax. Your just riding a motorized bike. Everyone makes mistakes were humans.
Worry not about others, just enjoy. Find the most direct routes to quiet and serene roads
and let yourself experience the serenity of solo riding. You need to build your confidence
in the right environment and usually city driving is not the place.
Cheers!

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Garage
Mojocrunch,
Go out and Ride.
Get used to the bike and riding it
Build up your confidence and you will see riding the bike becomes a second nature.

From that moment on you start really to enjoy riding a motorcycle and with your build up experience you van Ďsurviveí

Take care and good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page