Newbie here - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nsbeckett
  • 1 Post By SCG310R

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Newbie here

Hey guys,

After much deliberation I'm currently on the search for my first bike. I've been looking at a few different options, but I find myself coming back to the G310. I'm torn between getting a bike that I may likely outgrow or getting something too big and powerful and injuring myself. So I've come to ask for your expertise and suggestions, and I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say about the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Garage
Hi remy,
Welcome to this forum.
If you look at the ‘demographics’ thread you will find a lot of experienced riders.
I’m sure you can get a lot of good advice and I will start.

When I started riding motorcycles, I had a Honda CB 250.
In the first few weeks I was riding the smaller roads because riding on a motorway, doing over 100 km/hr, was a little bit scary.
Before I had a little “ Brommer”, just 50 cc and a top speed of 45 km/hr.

After getting used to higher speeds an the handling of the motorcycle I bought my first BMW, a R65.
After that many Beamers have been in my garage and I did a lot of traveling all over Europe and the US.

I drove K75’s, a R100Rs, two R80’s, a R850 followed by a R850 RT and a F800ST. Beside that I drove the smaller bikes from my wife.
My experience is that the best thing to stay alive is begin small and work your way up BUT ........ surviving has not always something to do with the amount of cc’s or power.
You as the driver are the most important ‘THING’ that makes a bike safe or dangerous.
Train yourself in riding safely, follow safety courses and remember, all other people in traffic are there to kill you 😇.
Keep the rubber on the road and stay healthy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bas,

That's some great advice, I sincerely appreciate it. You aren't the first person to tell me that the bike is the least of your worries in terms of staying safe on the road aha. I would whole heatedly agree that experience is best tool in preventing injury, and I plan on taking it easy until I'm fully comfortable. Something about this bike speaks to me, so Ill take your advice and dive into the demographics thread. Cheers!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM

Garage
I thought like you before I brought my bike. I did my training with bmw on a f700gs for a weeks direct access course and had my doubts when I went to pick the 310 up from the dealer. However, as being pretty new to two wheels I decided to keep to my original choice and rode off on the 310. Since then I haven’t regretted it one bit. It’s more then enough for all roads I’ve been on so far, including the trip home from the dealer on a fast busy weekend motorway!

I still look at bigger bikes, but all it takes is 5 minutes on mine again to remind me how much fun it is and riden well, it gets up to speed more then quick enough and puts a smile on my face.
Bas310 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
The G310 has the most safety features and best value for the money as an entry level bike that’ll you’ll be proud to own and ride for many years to come in my opinion.
Bas310 likes this.

2018 G310R Pearl White Metallic
1998 H/D Ultra Classic
1983 Honda VF750 Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F
1985 Honda VF1000R
1989 Yamaha YSR50
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 PM

Hi Remy

I am a newbie and have just got to the 100km mark of riding after a month.

If you want to ride at legal speeds anywhere up to 100kmph/65mph this bike will do you well and you will be happy to run the engine until it dies one day in the future.

Im keeping it at braking in guidelines which is under 6000rpm and even though im over 100kg it propels me from a stop quicker than anybody in a car in normal conditions which is good for pulling into gaps you wouldnt get away with in a smaller bike. And then its got 4000rpm on top of that that my hefty frame hasnt even used yet.

Seriously, buy one. The ONLY non learner friendly thing about it is 1st and 2nd gears are very very short, yet not very slow. Even then the worst thing that came out of that is when driving down a driveway i got pretty good clutch control at slow speeds quickly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM

A lot of what's reported here is what the greater G310R community is reporting from what i have seen so far.
As a bonus, if you're willing to buy used it will be a great way to get involved because odds are theres a good number of them on the used market already.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 PM

Hello and good day, i am a returning rider older last rode a bike like 30 years ago. i did like power as my last ride was a 900 ninji 1983ish.

now, i am split between a 310r and a ducati 62 to see if my body can manage riding again?

i very much appreciation it if someone wishes to share their opinions between the 2? i will be riding in a city.

thank you all, fats.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCG310R View Post
The G310 has the most safety features and best value for the money as an entry level bike that’ll you’ll be proud to own and ride for many years to come in my opinion.
That's exactly what has gravitated me towards this bike in the first place. I've come from riding dirt bikes but have never considered getting something for the road until now. It's great to see so many satisfied owners vouch for the bikes reliability and value. I'm definitely not opposed to something used, so I'm going to start looking around at what's on the market.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Like others have said for the price you won't find a better entry level bike with ABS and a 3 yr/ 36,000 mile warranty. Talked with another rider at a red light with a Yamaha R3 and he paid $6k and only got a one year warranty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page