2018 bmw 310 r - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By porth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

2018 bmw 310 r

Has anyone had any issues like this?

February 12, 2018, I was at a intersection. I pulled up to the intersection and down shifted from 4th through 1st. I sat at the light until it was green then let out the clutch. The digital screen showed 1st indicating the bike was in 1st gear. The bike would not move no matter how high the RPM were. I rolled out into the intersection other cars all around me. I continued to try and get the bike to engage and it would not go. I duck paddle the bike over to the side of the road. I turned off the bike then started the bike again. The bike screen showed the bike was in first gear. I attempted to let out the clutch and this time the bike began to move. I made it to my destination and called for a tow.

February 21, 2018, I rode my bike to work and had a beautiful ride. No issues. After work, I stopped and got gas. I then rode out of the parking lot in first and second gear moving slowly with through the market traffic. As I approached the driveway of the market I exited and got into the left turn lane to make a left turn. I had the bike in first. The screen showed 1st gear. The light turned green and I let out the clutch and took my foot off the brake. The RPMís were just revving up but the bike would not move forward or engage. I double checked to make sure the bike was in 1st and it was. I now had to duck paddle the bike across the intersection. The cross traffic waited for me and blocked the road until I was at a safe area. I turned off the bike and then turned the bike back on. I put the bike into 1st and the bike slowly moved forward. I then shifted the bike into 2nd and the bike accelerated. I made it home which was down the street and called A&S BMW.
Iím returning the bike because this bike is not safe. Iím asking for a replacement bike. I love the bike but I donít feel safe on this bike. It has failed me twice. I have been riding for over 18 years. I love the size of this bike, but it has to perform to BMW standards. I know BMW will take care of me. It is just a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear you are having problems, this is a great bike hang on! hehe
i had issues with gears lately but i found out that several things need to be perfect in order for shifts to work properly.
but what you are describing sounds different good thing you took it back, BMW will take care of you probably you got one with issues on the gearbox and they will change it

--------------------------
  • Honda ZB 50 (Sold and missed)
  • Honda MB 100 (Sold)
  • Honda NX 250 (Sold)
  • Suzuki DR 350 (Sold)
  • Yamaha Thundercat 600 (Sold)
  • Suzuki GSX R600 (Sold)
  • Honda Transalp V600 (Sold)
  • BMW 310R
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback still waiting to hear.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
That's some really bad luck there, like max said probably a funky gearbox. I'd give the bike a second chance if I were you as it is extremely pleasant to ride. If you have to pass it up though then all the best and hopefully your next ride won't suffer from such frustrating malfunctions!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Could be a computer issue as well. Could be a typical stuck in neutral or 'switched back to N from 1st' situation but the computer doesnt pick it up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM

My shifter doesn't like 1st to neutral when cold and is also tight 2nd to neutral when cold, gets much better when warm.

This is an excellent bike and we all hope you get it sorted out and rave about it down the road, pun intended...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 PM

"It seems that Heap had a great post last week I believe, where he talks about a failed gear position indicator potentiometer (sensor).
How many miles/kilometers are on the machine?

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/337-...ticks-n-2.html

This sounds like a good possibility, but only if you are strictly depending on the visual indication of the gear selected. I am implying that if you see that it is indicating that it is in 1st gear, but when you release the clutch, it feels like it is in neutral with no "hook-up". Did you then push the gear change lever down to the next position, to see if that worked? If you did press down the lever and get engagement (disregarding the indicator), then it is probably a potentiometer sensor issue as described in Heap's post.

If you were not able to get any gear to engage (disregarding the indicator); then it is possibly a worn shift fork or possibly a loose bolt on the "star wheel" on the end of the shift drum. (see attached photo of transmission components ). In any case, it sounds like an intermittent problem which may be very simple to fix or not. You have to get it to the dealer and describe in detail what you experienced and what you did to try to do to get it going after the failure. Since it appears that it may be very intermittent, it may be difficult to troubleshoot. In any event, you need to get it to the dealer ASAP as you know that it is very dangerous when something like this happens when cars and trucks are whizzing all over the place. It is a major safety concern! I am sure that the company will make it right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g310 trans.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	5049  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here's my 2 cents:

(this probably doesn't apply to you Dani, as it sounds like you might have a different issue)

If you have stopped in 4th and then try to shift down to 1st without moving you will probably run into trouble (it's happened to me) I assume that it's due to the fact that the gearbox is a sequential gearbox and probably has problems changing in the higher gears if they are not moving, if it gets stuck in one of the higher gears (e.g. not going in) it won't move to a lower gear until it's gone in and out of the higher gear. Don't know how the gear indicator works exactly, but when I had my problem it was showing '-'. Typically a little bit of movement and a little bit of clutch play should sort it out.

What you should be doing is shifting down while you are braking / still moving, this should be second nature, if not, get out there and practice, this is a safety issue!

You should never end up stopped in 4th or 3rd, always 1st (or even 2nd) so that you can take off again to avoid somebody rear ending you.
Ligkonakos, NZWestie and Tickster like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Excellent insight and advice Porth.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
I assume that it's due to the fact that the gearbox is a sequential gearbox and probably has problems changing in the higher gears if they are not moving,
Thanks for this, I definitely had to know the reason and simply saying "it's just the way it is" doesn't satisfy me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page