• 4 Post By Cees Klumper
  • 1 Post By Zente

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Hello from Marina Del Rey, California

Hi, my name is Cees, I am Dutch and 57 years old. Just moved to Los Angeles from France, and from 2010 to 2017 lived in Geneva where the traffic is so dense that I quickly decided to do everything by scooter (in that case a Honda 300 Sh) just like so many people in the larger European cities. Also I travel a lot to Asian and African countries where tons more people ride motorcycles or scooters (look up 'Hanoi traffic on youtube for an idea). So California with its warm and sunny climate and heavy traffic is an ideal place to ride a motorcycle or scooter. I decided to go for a slightly used BMW C 650 Sport which I bought from the first owner at just 1,960 miles. Had been driving it for about a week with lots of enjoyment when it developed a problem. Took it to the BMW dealer who fixed it, but then the problem returned the next day. So as I agreed with the dealer to bring it back once more, I thought about the fun I had on their loaner bike, an 800 R or some such, and checked Craiglist for a used 310. Well actually I looked at anything new-ish for under 5K and a 310 R popped up, January 2018 with only 280 miles and an Akrapovic exhaust fitted. Long story short I bought it yesterday and had great fun with it already. The point is I may be without the scooter for several weeks as the deslrr tries to find the electric gremlin, and the 310 is a great alternative. So I will ride both now, got them together for the price of one new 650 anyway, although both bikes are really brand new, so feel I did well. The scooter for two-up riding through the canyons, longer distances, fast highway treks and to go for hikes in the mountains, and commuting. The 310 mostly for commuting and getting through the city. What I have found to be very strange in the US so far is that lane splitting/filtering is only legal in California and maybe one or two other states, and that almost nobody rides motorcycles, but prefers to sit in traffic jams endlessly in their 'tin cans' despite the glorious climate. Oh well.

Last edited by Cees Klumper; 03-25-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Welcome to the rat race of SoCal. I used to live in Hermosa Beach for many years. I am currently down south in Escondido, CA. Have fun on your new toys and remember that the people in the Cages don't look for or see motorcycles and scooters even tho they will look right at them. I think we all turn invisible when we get on a bike in the eyes of a California Driver. Welcome to the forum. Ride Safe
gregtixa likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Garage
Hello Cees,
When your name popped up I immediately thought, heís Dutch.
My fathers name is Cees too (most of the time you will see KEES)

But anyway, welcome to the forum.
Hope you will enjoy all the news on the forum.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the welcome Bas. For such a relatively new model, this is a very active (and fun) forum. I look forward to learning a lot and also contributing where I can.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Hi Cees. I used to surf in Huntington Beach many years ago. I wish Iíd had a 310 then! Welcome to the club.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks like we swapped coasts Brad; I lived in Florida during the eighties, in Boca, Jupiter and West Palm. Had a nice 650 KLR back then. But I think the 310R is even more fun!

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:43 AM

Greetings from Los Angeles, let me know if you would like to meet for coffee or a ride. My 310 is itching for friends...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Welcome en zag je al op het dutch motorforum hahaha
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page