Another New Member - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Another New Member

I thought I posted my new member intro yesterday but apparently I accidently pressed the "off it goes into the corn field" button.

No matter, I'll try again. Last Tuesday I exchanged my venerable 1993 BMW K75S for a 2018 G310R. The transaction was in recognition of the fact that I no longer felt comfortable on the heavy, rather tall, short handle bar K75, although I was sad to part with it. It's been my turbine-smooth, good looking "gentleman's motorcycle."

However, I'm in the third year of my seventh decade and, strangely, things that used to manageable are now much heavier. I seem to be losing upper body strength and height slowly but surely. How can that be, he asked foolishly.

So the solution presented itself when I learned that the "local" BMW dealer (Street Cycles in Falmouth, Maine, some 170 miles south) had two G310Rs in stock. Of the two, the red, white and blue struck a chord with me and, wonder of wonders, it followed me home.

Now I need to log some miles and read through the forum threads to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Last edited by Arion; 06-02-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
However, I'm in the third year of my seventh decade and, strangely, things that used to manageable are now much heavier. I seem to be losing upper body strength and height slowly but surely. How can that be, he asked foolishly.
Welcome to the Geezer's section. I'm about 6 months behind you and also have noticed that my Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 has gained a lot of weight since I bought it and I'm grabbing my 310GS more and more.

That being said, the TEx and I will have at least one last fling as I head out to Denver to visit my kids and then up to Wyoming to visit a sister that I haven't seen in far too many decades.

I'm originally a Maniac (born in Lewiston and lived in Freeport) with 20+ years of the USAF and 25+ years working in Virginia post-AF. Retired a bit over 9 years ago and have been spending my time foolishly riding around.

The 310 (either flavor) is a great little bike, but not my weapon of choice for a 9K mile loop.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Arion
Welcome from another of us "mature" riders. Your story sounds a lot like mine (and a lot of other people I've talked to.)
I hope the weather in Maine is dryer than here. Every time I pick up a helmet and open the back door it starts raining. Today I only had to think about riding when the thunder started.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
<snip> I'm in the third year of my seventh decade <snip>
That's a long way of saying "63" for anyone having trouble working it out...

I'm the same age, a March model myself. And I have the same G310R in white, with the red and blue. These bikes are a real blast to ride, I frequently add the extra 10 km loop on to my return home from work just to enjoy the fun of lots of corners and some hills (rural roads and little to no traffic).

Enjoy.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'm originally a Maniac (born in Lewiston and lived in Freeport) with 20+ years of the USAF and 25+ years working in Virginia post-AF. Retired a bit over 9 years ago and have been spending my time foolishly riding around.

The 310 (either flavor) is a great little bike, but not my weapon of choice for a 9K mile loop.
Both I and my wife were born into USAF families (well, US Army Air Corps for me) and are both retired USAF so it's hard to identify a "home town." I call Maine home because my family has been here since 1887; my grandparents owned sporting camps in the area (1894 to 1952). My wife is a Texan so we split the year living in the San Antonio area during the winter and Moosehead Lake during the summer. Yeah, I know - tough job but we suffer quietly.

I also agree with your statement regarding the 310 as not being your choice for a 9K loop. Last March we took a short 2200 mile wander from S.A. to Tucson and Bisbee, Arizona and our weapons of choice were Can Am Spyders. Say what you will, they are a very nice way to travel long distances and carry enough stuff for a couple of weeks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZWestie View Post
That's a long way of saying "63" for anyone having trouble working it out... Enjoy.

Actually, I screwed up. I'm in my Eighth Decade given that I'm 73. I seem to have forgotten about Decade One but that was so long ago maybe I can be forgiven.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:30 PM

Arion. Welcome and congrats.
I'm six years younger but know exactly what you mean. My other bike is a Yamaha MT09 Tracer (FJ 09 I think in the USA)
and for the reason's you mention, weight etc,I too am taking the bike out less and less and using the g310r. Man you are going to enjoy it.
I've had mine since Jan 2018, and I have to say,I am really enjoying this bike.So Light, easy to move, reliable,frugal, good looking.
When I had the break in period over with, i was on my way back from the dealers doing about 60 mph along the motorway and a car started to cross into my lane. Instead of braking I opened her up, I don't know why, it was a bit of a daft thing to do, maybe I though i was on the 115hp Tracer!, anyway, I was so surprised,the bike just responded and got me out of trouble. No, I know its not a rocket but when you finish the break in period, you'll see what I mean. Enjoy!

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Arion. Welcome and congrats.
I'm six years younger but know exactly what you mean. My other bike is a Yamaha MT09 Tracer (FJ 09 I think in the USA)
and for the reason's you mention, weight etc,I too am taking the bike out less and less and using the g310r. Man you are going to enjoy it.
I've had mine since Jan 2018, and I have to say,I am really enjoying this bike.So Light, easy to move, reliable,frugal, good looking.
When I had the break in period over with, i was on my way back from the dealers doing about 60 mph along the motorway and a car started to cross into my lane. Instead of braking I opened her up, I don't know why, it was a bit of a daft thing to do, maybe I though i was on the 115hp Tracer!, anyway, I was so surprised,the bike just responded and got me out of trouble. No, I know its not a rocket but when you finish the break in period, you'll see what I mean. Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to passing the break in period so I can enjoy the bike more than I already am. Can't believe how much more I like riding the 310 than my vintage K75S. Were I 30 or 40 years younger I'd have kept the bike but I'm not and that's the problem.

Northeast England is it? Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire perhaps? Many years ago whilst serving with the USAF I was posted to RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk and lived in Bury St. Edmunds. I count those as among the best and most enjoyable years of my military career. I tore around southeast England on my Suzuki T500J two stroke twin and had a grand time. Snetterton was our local racing circuit and we spent many days there mostly blowing up or otherwise breaking down but it was worthwhile. Also campaigned in the Manx Grand Prix two years without much success but, again, it was memorable.

Cheers!

Last edited by Arion; 06-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Garage
Itís a common thing ........ bike is getting to heavy and loosing body strenght
And (for me) most of all, not feeling really quite comfy on a heavier bike (F800ST).
I sold my F800ST and was some time without a motorcycle.

Accidentally I bought a honda pcx125 motor scooter for my wife and she used it ........ I have some fingers left.
Because I wanted to try something quite different I started to ride this motor scooter.
I loved the weight and the handling.

Idid not like the lack of power......... and started to look around for something with the same weight and more hp.
Because I have riding Beamers from 1979 I looked at / waited for the G310R.

After a long wait there she (he ??) was.
A blue one.

In the beginning it was a matter of getting used to riding with gears 😜 but after some distance it felt like the old days again.
Till now, I love it.

Oh yes, Arian, welcome to the forum and I hope you will have fun reading all our advices .....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Arion, next time I visit friends in Edna, not far from you in San Antonio, ill get in touch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page