A big hello from Crete - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By gaeter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

A big hello from Crete

I’m glad to have found this BMW G310R/GS-forum which, together with another German forum, gives us so much information, good and bad, alas.
I’m Belgian, 71 years old, living in Crete and just bought the G310GS model. Considering my age and strength, my wife insisted on buying an “easy”, lightweight bike and not again a Moto Guzzi California, with which I’ve spend the last 45 years or so, one without and one with a Watsonian sidecar. Even a R Nine-T Urban GS was a no-go deal.
For a while I also had – together with my babies! – a BMW 75/5 with a Steib sidecar, a R80RT and a R100GS Paris-Dakar. Rugged and nice machines which couldn’t dethrone my Moto Guzzis. This BM is nice, beautiful; it suits my needs; it’s very easy to handle and, I admit, perfect for the narrow and dangerous Cretan mountain roads. I immediately bought a Givi touring windshield, handlebar raisers and a padded bike short, because the seat is everything else but comfortable. In saddle again! I’m as happy as it can be!
Of course, I hate modern bikes with all their electronics and digital displays. A bike with carburetors and points one can fix anytime, anywhere, while one full of electronics no one can fix, nowhere, never. More so, considering the flaws and problems I’m reading on forums, it doesn’t give me much confidence in BMW. A side stand breakage! Who has ever heard of such a mis-construction? Yes, I know, I’m old and grumpy. Never mind, didn’t I say I was happy? She is my new baby! “She”? Yes, in French a bike is “une moto”, a feminine noun. Not because you can sit on it! But because one loves it the way he loves his wife or partner: with much attention, tenderness and affection; with as much common pleasure as possible …
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeter View Post
She is my new baby! “She”? Yes, in French a bike is “une moto”, a feminine noun.
in greek also it's a she....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Linguistics

Και όχι μόνο στα ελληνικά! Στα ιταλικά, ισπανικά, και άλλα. Μόνο οι αγγλόφωνοι δεν καταλαβαίνουν ότι τα ονόματα μπορούν να είναι αρσενικό, θηλυκό ή ουδέτερο. Μακάρι να μην διαβάζουν ελληνικά επίσης, αλλιώς θα έχω προβλήματα …
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
Garter, welcome to this forum and thanx for the explanation
I don’t dare to tell my wife I have somebody else 😜
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you're still very much involved in riding! Looks like its nice upgrade from your previous bikes and I hope that it restores your faith in BMW's motorcycles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Welcome from another new member. I found myself in the same position at 73 and recently exchanged my 1993 BMW K75S (which I loved very much) for a 2018 G310R (which I also love). She . . . has treated me very well so far and has been reliable despite some of BMWs flaws. But then aren't we all flawed in some respects?

Ride safely and enjoy your new companion!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all of you, especially you, Arion. 73! I called my wife and showed her your text, saying "You see! I'm not the only fool around!" She had to bow and admit...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Garage
Age doesn't say anything.
It is how you 'perform' and treat yourself.
You can sit in the garden and wait for ……. whatever.
Or
Go out and enjoy as long as you can doing the things you like / love.
Go out and RIDE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Good bye!

This BMW G310GS is nice, but I’ve ran out of pleasure with it. I have to crawl on it; it sounds like a bee, cleaning is a nightmare because of no access to anything.

I planned to buy a Moto Guzzi V7 III, but during our latest holidays in Austria early December, I had the opportunity to test-ride a V7 and a Triumph T100. The first didn’t convince me; the second charmed me at once. Back home I searched for a T100 and found a second hand T120 from December 2017 with 6.500km on it, the bike of the Manager of Triumph Greece. With my wife’s consent and since Triumph accepts to take my BM for a reasonable price, I bought it and will have it the first week of 2019.

I’m very excited to see her coming. She’s gorgeous! I sincerely hope I’ll have a wonderful time with her! At last a real bike again! This is how she looks like when I found her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T120 athene.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	12120  

Last edited by gaeter; 12-24-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Garage
Good luck with the triumph.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page