Howdy From Sunny San Diego - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Cool Howdy From Sunny San Diego

Just arrived in San Diego on Monday (from cold, cloudy Michigan). Picked up my 2018 Baby GS last night from the San Diego BMW dealer.

Iíve been riding since I was 10 (Iím 50 now), and Iíve had many bikes over the years (including 2 different 800GSs and an R9T). Iíve got to say, Iím pleasantly surprised by this bike. If money wasnít an issue, Iíd have gone straight for another 800, but I think this bike is going to work out wonderfully.

A bit more about me. I raced road for a short time back in the 90ís, and now I teach the motorcycle licensing class for new riders.

Anyhoo, Iím excited to put some miles on the bike, and Iím even more excited to be in a place where I can finally ride year Ďround!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Welcome aboard from another relatively new baby BMW owner. I'm a few decades older than you but, like you, I did a bit or road racing (waaay back in the late 60 and early 70s in England) and was an MSF instructor for a while in the 80s. Now I ride, and seem to collect motorcycles, just for the enjoyment - while I still can.
2WheelsGood likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM

I heard this is an entry level bike! I've ridden for a couple of years-well more than a couple and decades rather than years also. I'm surprised at the number of experienced riders buying the mini thumper, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I am.
2WheelsGood likes this.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! I sure hope I’ve got several more decades doing this!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Slow View Post
I heard this is an entry level bike! I've ridden for a couple of years-well more than a couple and decades rather than years also. I'm surprised at the number of experienced riders buying the mini thumper, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I am.
Well, I think it’s also a great entry level bike, but it’s also wonderful for those who don’t want to wrestle a giant bike around town or off road. At least here in the US we think you’re supposed to keep ‘graduating’ to larger bikes, but I actually believe that’s one of the reasons people give it up.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM

Welcome 2wheels, rest assured at 50 you’re at about the median age for this forum, and likely for this bike too. Enjoy 😀
2WheelsGood likes this.

Red G310GS
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
Well, I think itís also a great entry level bike, but itís also wonderful for those who donít want to wrestle a giant bike around town or off road.
I would have killed (well - maimed, maybe) for a bike like this when my kids were learning to ride.

Pushing 73 pretty hard and am just not comfy tootling down dirt roads on my Tiger Explorer 1200 - close to a half ton of motorcycle, once you add me to the equation.

Bought the Baby GS specifically for local rides on the unpaved surfaces of local roads and forest roads and it's absolutely lovely. Thinking of shipping it over to Europe for a few years as there are a number of roads that I want to ride and want a bike that I can actually pick up by myself should it decide to take a nap.
2WheelsGood likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Just arrived in San Diego on Monday (from cold, cloudy Michigan). Picked up my 2018 Baby GS last night from the San Diego BMW dealer.
Did the SanDiego Dealer give you a "special" price? There are several other BMW dealers in SoCal. Why did you select SDBMW?

What color did you get. Did the frame need the frame brace?

Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
Did the SanDiego Dealer give you a "special" price? There are several other BMW dealers in SoCal. Why did you select SDBMW?

What color did you get. Did the frame need the frame brace?

Thanks
I'm not sure what your question is getting at. I bought it at the San Diego dealer because I live in San Diego right down the street. I'd have to drive an hour or two to go to a different dealer. As I said, I just moved here Monday, so if this dealer has a bad reputation, I don't know anything about it.

Red. If you mean the recall, they can't sell a bike with an active recall on it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm not sure what your question is getting at. I bought it at the San Diego dealer because I live in San Diego right down the street. I'd have to drive an hour or two to go to a different dealer. As I said, I just moved here Monday, so if this dealer has a bad reputation, I don't know anything about it.
I misunderstood your original post. Many people fly to San Diego to visit, and buy a bike to ride home. This way they get to see the country without have to cross the country 2X - coming and returning.

I didn't realize from your original post that you came to SD to take up residence. My bad. Welcome to America's Finest City!

SDBMW is a wonderful dealership and I have known Gary, the owner, since before he and Mike bought the dealership.

The question about the frame is I would like to see a photo of the frame brace. I understand that bikes can't be sold unless fixed.

Enjoy your new ride

Last edited by dave92029; 08-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page