Aussie Long Distance rider climbing aboard - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Aussie Long Distance rider climbing aboard

Hi all. I'm Peter from Newcastle on the east coast of Australia. I pick up my new G310GS tomorrow morning, having paid the deposit 3 weeks ago.

Its been held up by the sidestand 'stop sell' issue but it has been rectified now. On that topic I have yet to see exactly what has been done and how, whether on my bike or anywhere on the web, so I'll post up pics of the 'fix'.

I've had time to pick up a few SW-Motech mods ready to bolt onto my bike:
- centre stand
- crash bars
- rear pannier racks
- tank ring for a Bags Connection to click into
- auxiliary light mounts for the racks
- a big foot thing for the side stand

Planned things:
- I have a few spare LED spotlights in the shed so I'll see what fits best
- an Omni cruise throttle lock
- a GPS up front
- AirHawk seat for comfort
- modified rack at the rear to take a 15litre auxiliary fuel cell (for 600km+ total range) once I figure out the best place to drill a hole into the bike's main fuel tank.

This bike will be used for some dirt roads, some commuting and a couple of Iron Butt Association rides I'm cooking up.

This 1 cylinder bike will share shed space with a 2 cylinder Yamaha Super Tenere, a 3 cylinder Triumph Tiger 800XC, a 4 cylinder Yamaha FJR1300 and a 6 cylinder Honda Valkyrie.

I'm looking forward to the adventures on the baby GS. In the meantime I'll just lurk around and read up to get some tips.

Peter - Newcastle, Australia

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Welcome. Nice selection of bikes your little BMW will have to share the garage with. Sure hope it won't feel inferior to all those multi-cylinder machines.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Welcome mate. Good to know these bikes are becoming available again. I paid my deposit early last week but yet to get a delivery date. They originally told me this week, but I expect next week when I'm away on holidays and can't collect it
Be interesting to see the side stand fix. Do you have a production date for your bike?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I'll post up pics of the sidestand fix tomorrow. Moving house today so no proper internet.

My bike is a January 2018 build. Unboxed 5 weeks ago.

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 PM

Peter

Welcome to the world of little thumpers. An IBA on this may well be a saddle sore. I feel for you moving. Did it two years ago and would dread ever thinking about it again.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Old and Slow I once did an Iron Butt SaddleSore ride on this little fella:

Its a Honda CT110, affectionately known as a 'Postie' bike in Oz.

Thankfully the move went ok as 8 burly blokes swarmed in and got things done

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
Old and Slow I once did an Iron Butt SaddleSore ride on this little fella:

Its a Honda CT110, affectionately known as a 'Postie' bike in Oz.

Thankfully the move went ok as 8 burly blokes swarmed in and got things done
Don't know what to say about the 8 burly blokes but I think doing an Iron Butt on that little Postie bike is heroic! What an adventure that must have been.

And here I'm wondering about the sensibility of riding my 310R once again to the nearest BMW dealer (170 miles away) when parts for the sidestand fix finally arrive. I was there just yesterday for the initial 600 mile service. I arrived with 599 miles on the odometer - not bad, huh?

Why do I wonder? Seventy miles of poorly paved Maine back roads, tons of summer road work delays, and then 100 miles of motorway travel filled with crazed American tourists coming to Maine to get away from their daily environments. Makes travel interesting to say the least.

Sorry, but I don't seem able to write a short post.
angiedave likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM

Garage
OX-34,
looking forward to your experience with the SW-Motech center stand.
I was planning to buy one but read a lot about the fact they didn’t fit (had to do with the Beemers frame).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
OX-34,
looking forward to your experience with the SW-Motech center stand.
I was planning to buy one but read a lot about the fact they didn’t fit (had to do with the Beemers frame).
I found a couple of hassles - mainly my fault.

Pulling the OEM bolt out of the chain roller seemed simple but I mucked around for ages. Undoing the nut was simple but the bolt would not unscrew. It seemed to be held in by a circlip or something. It is not. I finally levered the chain roller inwards and that freed the bolt instantly.

Next step I put the spring plate on rotated a few degrees forward. It is fiddly to reinsert the OEM bolt through the roller and line up the plate and spacer inline as there is next to no wriggle room. I dropped that spacer about a million times. Getting both hands around the side stand paraphernalia to hold the bolt, the big roller, the little spacer and the triangular plate is done with zero vision of the bits.

I found fitting the springs the hardest. Like most of us I've fitted a bunch of center stand springs. My favourite method is using a handful of washers to lengthen the spring. But this stand has 2 springs - one inside the other - and that washer method doesn't work. Otherwise I usually use a modified flat screwdriver as a lever. But the location of the spring mount on the stand left nowhere for me to get any leverage as the tyre is in the way. I ended up using some thin, strong cord looped through the spring hook and tied the other end a to rear wheel spoke. Rotating the wheel pulled the spring out to length.

In hindsight it would have all been easier if I had removed the rear wheel at the start of the job.

The stand itself.......... the side stand spring retaining arm clips the left hand upright of the center stand as it swings into position. Standing next to the bike with the side stand retracted I can't engage the center stand as it fouls the side stand. That's ok as I would rarely be doing that. Usually I would be parking, kicking down the side stand, carefully dismounting so as to not snap the bike in half then hitching the bike up onto the center stand, then kicking the side stand back up. Unfortunately on this bike the side stand currently clips the center stand when I do that. It retracts, but it still the two stands hit each other in passing.

It is tolerable, but I think I will move the side stand spring slightly outboard to slot into a groove that I will grind, then chop the inner 5-10mm off the spring arm.

This all reads worse than it really is. I love a center stand. My plan for this bike is to bolt on some luggage and also a 15 litre auxiliary fuel tank onto the rear of the bike. That is all more manageable when fueling both tanks when the bike sits level.

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

I've finished my 1000km running in period with a 700km day to scrub in the tyres on the Oxley Highway in NSW, one of Australia's best known motorcycle roads.

Heaps of fun.

With just a few mods completed so far, tonight I added in a mount for some auxiliary spot lights up front. I've always been a fan of SW-Motech bars and racks and belly pans and even spotlight mounts. This time round though I wish I'd taken the Hepco and Becker route:

a) The SW-Motech 'EVO' rear pannier racks for other bikes I've modded come with a large round-cornered rectangle as the base for the bags and then 4 metal arms to mount to the bike with quick release bolts. They are great. So far it seems that SW-M have only made the 'SLC' pannier racks for the G310. They are bolted on at only two points and the base is a small triangular mount. Even those tough little pelican cases wobble about on those mounts. I think I'll have to reinforce the lot with a plate of alloy or something. The H&B and GIVI ones look better. I can only blame myself....

b) Those H&B crash bars going all the way up under the beak look great for a tip-over but especially to mount lights up next to the beak. Again, my fault for buying the lower-only bars by SW-M.

While studying the mounting options up under the beak (not many to be found) I figured out there are really only 2 bolt holes that involve the steel tabs of the sub-frame. I understand that GIVI make a simple bent metal plate and tube assembly light mount that uses those bolts. I checked the angles and searched around my shed and found that the mirror mounts for a 2005 Yamaha FZ1 fitted perfectly. I now have a length of alloy rectangular tube running from one side of the beak to the other tucked up nice and high and out of the way. Seems strong enough. I'm yet to fit the lights, but hopefully I'll get a chance to make up a relay harness and get the lights working this week. I have heaps of spare LEDs in a box, but finding the right ones to light up the road but that don't drain the battery may be tricky (only 330W alternator, right?).

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page