Adjusted the chain sag - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Adjusted the chain sag

Started to hear clunking/slapping noise when going over more severe bumps or many of the imperfections the streets of my town has to offer. Guessed it was the chain and looking at it clearly was too loose. Totally normal for a new chain to stretch after a few hundred KMs (more or less 650km in this case).

In the process I’ve noticed the chain adjustment gauge was already at the 6th mark (out of 9) before I touched anything. That seemed pretty far in the range for a bike out of the factory, like there’s only 1/3 of the range available for future adjustments…

After the adjustment the arrow was passed the 6th mark but not reaching the 7th yet, we could say almost 6.5th (Just to give you an idea for those who never did that it does not take a lot of movement on the rear wheel to see a change on the sag of the chain.)

Now back to a pleasant, no-slapping noise riding experience.
Ligkonakos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
I've got to say, you and heap are what I consider the "Athlean-X" of the G310R Forums. Whenever I find myself in trouble you always have something available that same day. I will take a look at the manual to see how I can adjust the chain, it shouldn't be that difficult!
angiedave likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

I have rust showing on the chain, I clean often with paraffin wonder if this is the cause ? or a batch of bad chains ?
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM

me also had rust on chain..on 2 pin of chain..its maybe of low grade of chain
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Garage
Do you clean the chain regularily, once every 3 refills?

I've had rust develop on the chain and I used a mix of 80% gas 20% wd-40 to clean the chain dry, and then applied chain oil to it and no rust ever since.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 PM

unfortunately..its my mistake..haha..i'd just clean my chain only after 3000 km..before that i only apply chain lube on it every 1000 km
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:00 AM

I'll be adjusting my chain this weekend as well, have little over 600 Km and it looks way past the 40-50 mm of slack, also finding neutral got more difficult in the last couple of days...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugTuga View Post
I'll be adjusting my chain this weekend as well, have little over 600 Km and it looks way past the 40-50 mm of slack, also finding neutral got more difficult in the last couple of days...
Assuming you're not done breaking in, you will see a big difference after the first service and oil change. So look forward to that.
ThugTuga likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 AM

Interesting... I've not had rust on my chain, but I'm very diligent with cleaning it - plus most of the riding has been good weather, and when it's been wet I have managed to escape the torrential times (see comment below).

I clean my chain with WD40, I buy it in a 4 litre pack. Chain lube currently is Vertex Moto aerosol which I spray on and make sure that I've got the rollers and side plates really well covered. I do gently wipe off the excess after the solvent carrier has evaporated, but it still does flick off a bit which is a pain. I set the rear wheel up on a little pair of rollers, so its easy to rotate the wheel round.

I also check my chain tension often, but hardly ever need to adjust it. Checked it again today and it is still well within spec - last time I adjusted it was 2,200 km back (my bike has now 5,500 km on it). Obviously I am not a hard rider....

Commenting on our summer this year - its a very weird year, we have had two of the driest months ever (November & December last year), they were also much warmer than normal. Then in to January & February which have been absurdly hot and humid (some days close to 100% all day, at 28 °C) with record rainfall from some storms. So far the year to date accumulated rainfall total is 314 mm - we would not normally see that kind of total until towards the end of April. And we have a big ex tropical cyclone coming in this week...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollers.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	4945  

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZWestie View Post
Interesting... I've not had rust on my chain, but I'm very diligent with cleaning it - plus most of the riding has been good weather, and when it's been wet I have managed to escape the torrential times (see comment below).

I clean my chain with WD40, I buy it in a 4 litre pack. Chain lube currently is Vertex Moto aerosol which I spray on and make sure that I've got the rollers and side plates really well covered. I do gently wipe off the excess after the solvent carrier has evaporated, but it still does flick off a bit which is a pain. I set the rear wheel up on a little pair of rollers, so its easy to rotate the wheel round.

I also check my chain tension often, but hardly ever need to adjust it. Checked it again today and it is still well within spec - last time I adjusted it was 2,200 km back (my bike has now 5,500 km on it). Obviously I am not a hard rider....

Commenting on our summer this year - its a very weird year, we have had two of the driest months ever (November & December last year), they were also much warmer than normal. Then in to January & February which have been absurdly hot and humid (some days close to 100% all day, at 28 °C) with record rainfall from some storms. So far the year to date accumulated rainfall total is 314 mm - we would not normally see that kind of total until towards the end of April. And we have a big ex tropical cyclone coming in this week...

Hey what's that double roller called? Definitely need one since I'm not getting a rear stand anytime soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page