BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Tipped my G310R from a point of no return 🙁

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hasselman 
#1 ·
So today I thought of carrying out the first wash and wax session on my 108 kms ran G310R. I washed and waxed and then took her out of the parking to take some clicks. After that when I was coming back to the parking, I was taking a U turn and in that pursuit the bike started falling (on the right side). The accelerator was still ON and I switched off the engine immediately. It tipped to a level that I could not make her stand. I couldn’t find anyone around to help me. I maintained that position for around 15-20 secs and then I realised that I couldn’t and I had to drop her to the ground and then pick her up. I let is drop slowly and then within 5-10 seconds picked her up.
I checked for damage and could figure small scratches on the gear lever and the exhaust heat shield (stainless steel part).
I guess I need to get used to the weight of the bike as I am coming from a Vespa.
I would now also look at the crash bar/frame slider options.
Attaching a couple of snaps before the fall!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
fully agree with hasselman ...
sooner or later we all do it.
thankfully yours was done in 'slow-motion' .. !!!
Engine / Crash bars are a good idea.
You've just added a bit of your own personalisation to your pride and joy.
Its not going to affect how it rides. Have fun......

#6 ·
I've had approximately 18 bikes. I've fallen with 16, of which two where totaled. My current Yamaha XJ900S I'm yet to fall with, and the Ducati 900SD Darmah was difficult to fall with, it had a sidecar ;) even thou my fiancee of that time almost succeeded in doing that.

#9 ·
I think this is a club for selected members, a club you really don’t want to belong to but ..... **** happens.
I “lost” my BMW R850 in a slow Left corner and the rear wheel tried to overtake the front wheel.
I tried to avoid “ground contact” but ..... failed.
Only minor scratches but between the ears .........
I still have a problem with left corners.

#10 ·
Trying to stop a falling 250 kg motorcycle is futile. I had an R1150GS that was set to very lean mixture. it was a little bit fussy when cold. A couple of times it stalled on me when starting to drive. When an 1130 cc two cylinder engine stops, the whole bike stops. Sometimes I managed to pull the clutch and restart without falling. If the frontwheel was turned fully to either side, I never managed to keep her upright. Luckily I was young and strong then :D
My G310GS I have managed to keep upright in many difficult situations. She's so agile and easy to ride :eek:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.