Basic for Innovations - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Basic for Innovations

Bmwmotorradde posted this image on instagram, and after translation, it made sense to me. Gonna be really interesting to see what these students will come up with. May result in a production model ?!

Quote:
Here the BMW # G310R served as a base for future motorcycle designs for a group of students to create a bike for urban millennials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM

That looks like something from Tron and runs on electricity. I can see it being a good urban bike if it's small enough, but there's not much to it under the frame and that's worrying to me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

I think that's the bare design that they're giving them to work off of in order to see what they can create from completely shredded down. As basic as the G310 could look kind of thing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:08 AM

I think BMW should go the electric route if they want to come out with something that appeals to urban millennials. There's plenty of space for a battery pack.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm not too familiar with electric motorcycles but what kind of range do they typically have and how heavy are the battery packs?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM

As far as I know, a lot of them are from Zero Motorcycles. Triumph has one and that seems to be the more popular option and BMW has the C Evolution electric scooter so a motorcycle isn't too far off.

Not sure how much they'll weight but they'll definitely be pretty beefy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:29 AM

I can imagine.. but checking their site. The Zero S has a 150+ mile range and a curb weight of 313lbs. They're pretty darn cool but a pretty penny indeed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:29 PM

As this works its way into bigger bikes, with where I think batteries and the rest of the components will go, these bikes might have more of a grounded feel if you know what I mean - and that might just be a good thing. Add to that the sort of off-the-line power it generates and this will be fun to throw around. What helps is looking at how its already being implemented into vehicles and correlating that to bikes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM

I do see what you mean on that. That extra weight helps keep you down and more "stable" if you will. More weight also means better off the line traction too. With a bike running battery power like that, that instantaneous torque, traction is a big thing lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page