JMo

Moab

Jx
Eccles and dejah like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Nice video and spectacular countryside. I'm not a off road rider (intentionally at least) meaning I'd be a whimpering pile of broken bones laying along the side of the trail but I do like the video. It sure surprises me that after 55 views you had no comments or responses. I find that curious. It's unlike the other motorcycle forums I'm a part of.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
awesome ride. beyond my abilities but i still would have liked to try. great video.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
It sure surprises me that after 55 views you had no comments or responses. I find that curious. It's unlike the other motorcycle forums I'm a part of.
maybe it is because the bike shown is not the same most of us ride. this, really well made, video shows a GS equipped with ~3000 euros of equipment which means is a totally different bike. i am sorry but i cannot relate with a different bike than the one i ride.and no, a stock GS is not dirt capable (unfortunately).it's a great bike BUT:
a)it's (front) heavy
b)it has not enough torque, especially at low revs
c)it has road tires (ok, with SOME off road capabilities, maybe 70/30)

in my opinion, the GS is a small adventure bike (maybe the only adventure bike at that engine capacity), ideal for sub 100km/h trips on paved or dirt ROADS, not rough trails, mud or sand.

P.S. don't get me wrong, the guys at Rally raid, did a very nice job and created a good dirt bike setup with parts of very high quality, i am not trying to accuse anyone.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
a)it's (front) heavy
b)it has not enough torque, especially at low revs
c)it has road tires (ok, with SOME off road capabilities, maybe 70/30)

in my opinion, the GS is a small adventure bike (maybe the only adventure bike at that engine capacity), ideal for sub 100km/h trips on paved or dirt ROADS, not rough trails, mud or sand.

Well, coming from a (heavy) Ténéré, I just feel the oposite !
a) it's light
b) it has enough torque for this size and weight (and for my personal use)

c) tires are not really specific to the GS, il you plan to drive offroad a lot, you just swap them !

In fact, and even without changing the costly wheels, I feel it's a real and versatile 50/50 bike, much more manageable than a mid or high end adv bike (and much less costly)

Regarding the gorgeous Moab video, it is quite commented and liked on the advrider forum

12/2017 G310GS
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM

Awesome video/pictures and its great to see the 310 showing how capable it is in the wild. Though I don't think it would attempt to try and make it through the desert or canyons on it. Were these models being run completely stock?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Awesome 😎
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
Were these models being run completely stock?

Almost stock, with the adventure Rally Raid kit full Jenny's story here !

12/2017 G310GS
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
JMo

Howdy all - in reply to some of the above comments - GreekGeek makes some good observations about the stock bike's limitations - but I'd add that this is still designed to be an Adventure bike, not a dirt-bike per se - and having ridden in 6000 miles across the country from Virginia to California and back to Moab (via Overland Expo in Arizona) prior to making that video - ultimately it is a surprisingly capable lighter-weight ADV bike, that can handle some far more technical terrain than you would choose or attempted on a physically larger and heavier machine - and made even easier with a few modifications/upgrades and accessories.

I'm currently running a blog/ride report regarding this extended trip on ADVrider, which I will ultimately condense and post here in the ride-reports section G310Rforum.com too in due course too - but in the meantime it's probably worth checking in there if you want some more detailed information as to have I've found living with this bike for the last 6000 miles on and off-road has been.

As I say, yes I've upgraded the stock suspension (which is budget/weak) with the Rally-Raid LEVEL 1 components, which clearly makes the bike handle much better in the conditions in the video above, but the engine and transmission is still completely stock (and I consider I've pretty much found the limitation/s with the stock gearing in more technical terrain now)...

The spoked wheels are going to be stronger than the cast OEM components in a really clumsy moment of course, but as with all the Rally-Raid parts for this bike, they are designed to be sold and fitted individually as your budget and or/requirements dictate.

Ultimately, as Dejah suggests, this bike on the right tyres (and a proper engine guard of course ;o) is going to be able to tackle all the terrain in this video - maybe with not so much aplomb in places, but you'd be able to get it through if you're careful. So often the internet forgets that the bike [in] itself is only ever part of the equation...

Jenny x
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:55 PM

first of all, thank you Dejah and Jenny for your input. i am not trying to be the smartass here, i just want to point out some key features of the bike that I find irritating (according to MY opinion and needs). as you guys mentioned earlier, heavier/bigger ADV bikes can be less versatile than the little GS. BUT, the bike's weight is only one part of the equation, the other two are horsepower and tires (dimensions and tread).
so,if one takes a look at "classic" ADV bikes like:
a) Honda Africa twin 1988-89 (XRV 650):220 Kg, 57 Hp (0.25 Hp/Kg), tyres: 90/90-21 front, 130/80-17 rear
b) Honda Transalp 2005-6 (XL 650 V): 210 Kg, 55 Hp (0.26 Hp/Kg), tyres: 90/90-21 front, 120/90-17 rear
c) Yamaha Tenere 2008-9 (XT 660): 206 Kg, 48 Hp (0.23 Hp/Kg), tyres: 90/90-21 front, 130/80-17 rear
or Enduro bikes like:
Honda XR 400R : 125 Kg, 34 Hp (0.27 Hp/Kg), tyres: 80/100-21 front, 110/100-18 rear
and compares them with the G310 GS: 170 Kg, 34 Hp (0,2 Hp/Kg), tyres: 110/80-19 front, 150/70-17 rear
can easily understand that the BMW is a bit under powered, as well as fitted with wider tyres (whose use is to provide more traction on the street and make your life more difficult off the street).
enough with my nagging about how hard is the BMW life. what I plan to do is:
a)fit an akrapovic carbon exhaust (and thus gain 2,4 Hp at the low end and save a few kilos)
b)change the sprocket with a bigger one (maybe 42 or 43 teeth) preferably an aluminum one
c)fit an X-ring chain
d) change the stock tyres with something more dirt capable (i really like the Michelin Anakee Wild)

that's all folks, thanks a lot for listening!

Last edited by greekgeek; 06-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.