The very versatile G310GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

The very versatile G310GS

BMW G310GS
The first 10 days and 1300ks on my new all rounder.

Iíve had my BMW G310GS for 10 days now, have ridden it on a variety of local roads, had its first 1000k service and Iím starting to get a good feel of the bike, so these are my impressions.

On paper the 310GS ticked a lot of boxes. Ride away for under AU$8,000 it was a good price for an entry level BMW. I was after a smaller cc motorcycle that could multi task around country back roads, be able to cruise at 110k/h on the highway as well as handling light off road duties, and even tackle fire trails and paddocks.

Being a rider in my late 60ís and 5í9Ē tall with a few other bikes in the stable, I didnít want a another big bike, and the idea of a 300cc machine fitted the bill. My buddy and I had been talking about a suitable bike as ďmy last bite of the apple.Ē I had been considering a Yamaha XT 250. My previous thumper was a Suzuki DR650 which had turned out to be too tall for me and after doing my maths on seat heights, I was concerned that it might have also been the case with the GS.

When I finally got to throw my leg over the GS I got this horrible feeling for a second that the bike was going to topple when my foot hadnít reached the ground on the other side. Iíve since learnt how to stretch my leg out as I straddle the seat but in reality Iím only just tall enough to flat toe it. Its ok once Iím riding, I can get my feet down when I stop, and as the bike settles in, its becoming slightly lower, but its height could make it tricky maneuvering on uneven ground.

When Iím riding the bike it feels big, the wide bars and tank, there seems like a lot of bike between your legs until you realize itís really just a little 310. Through the traffic itís quite agile and responsive. The rider sits high and upright giving good lines of vision through the traffic, the engine has good response off the lights and has a wicked sweet spot between 6000-10000 rpm. Although itís not the thinnest bike it would be more than capable for commuting in city gridlock.

On the faster arterial roads the GS is very comfortable, 100k/h at 6000 rpm with lots of extra power still in the engine. Occasionally on hills or for fast exit out of a corner I find myself dropping down a gear but thatís the way with this size engine. Out on the Highway the GS will easily sit on 110-120k/h at 6500 rpm and Iím sure it could easily get to 140k/h. Iím used to naked road bikes so Iím not fazed by wind in my face. Although Iíd prefer to ride my bigger cc road bikes on long hwy runs Iíve no doubt the 310GS would be more than capable of touring, especially back road touring where the single cylinder is more suited.

Itís on the good winding secondary roads that the GS excels, get it rolling along over 7,000 rpm it just sings. It has enough power to accelerate up mountains, overtake safely, it handles bumps, potholes and patchwork tarmac with ease, it leans into corners effortlessly, tracks reliably and brings a big grin to my face. Itís not as sporty as the 310R but itís lots of fun and comfortable to boot.

The last quality I was looking for in the GS was the ability to handle the dirt and gravel roads which crisscross the valleys and ridges around my part of the world. Although I havenít had good experiences on dirt and have avoided these sorts of roads until now, Iím hoping that you tube and the 310GS will teach me how to stay upright and to be able to explore a new realm of riding. So far Iíve been testing myself and the GS out on soft sandy beach tracks, and reasonably graded gravel roads up the valleys. My progress on these off road expeditions has been very slow to date, but this is more due to me than the GS, and as my confidence increases so does my speed. The GS seems very stable and forgiving so far.

I was interested to read a review by an experienced 650GS rider Sjiriki, who noted: ďGravel is absolutely no problem, I quickly rode as fast with this one as with my own GS. It actually did better because of the upside down fork and, yes I have to admit, the lower weight. Gas response is good, it isnít too light so youíre always in control even when you hit some unexpected bumps.Ē Ride report : BMW G310GS ? Riding With The Wolf

The last thing I want to mention is dealer support. The G310GS has only just been released. I decided to buy one of the first in the stores from a regional dealer, Rock Motorcycles at Port Macquarie, rather than a city dealer. As well as being slightly cheaper due to country third party insurance rates, Iíve found the support and service provided by Rock to be fantastic. The first service was slipped in after only 7 days and a minor idle speed problem was fixed without fuss under warranty. I was even given their demo to ride while mine was in the workshop. I guess with any new model there might be a few teething problems which is why it feels good being under a BMW warranty.

So to sum it up. BMW have designed a smaller cc bike for commuting, capable on the highway as well as country back roads, and light off road duties. Although there are faster, bigger, better handling sports bikes, and tougher adventure tourers, the G310GS makes up for it in being a cheap, economical, lightweight, well behaved and comfortable all rounder that can be ridden all day on a diverse selection of roads and put the silliest grin on your face. Needless to say Iím pretty **** happy, Itís just what I was looking for. All I need to do now is to keep riding it to find out if its indeed bullet proof and therefore a classic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Hearing that from a 60'er this is really inspiring; you have reached an age that, I believe, you have experienced a lot of stuff, but your attention is towards a 310cc bike instead of a 1000cc+.
G0MYW and Sascha like this.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Garage
I took one of these for a test ride a few weeks ago whilst my R was at the dealer. I Liked it, different to ride but after a few minutes on it, I soon got use to the higher position and wider bars.
I completed my training and took my test on a F700GS and wasnít sure what to expect when I first got on the smaller GS, however was surprised as it felt much higher, maybe it would settle down as you mention, as I was able to flat foot on the 700, but not on the 310. (Standard seat height on both)
My R had a serious engine issue which meant I rejected the bike, hence the test riding the GS as I could have swapped over, in the end I opted for a replacement R, but will look again at the GS in a year or so. like you I live in an area where we have a lot of Greenlanes and forest tracks that are open to vehicles which this little bike will be suited too, until I get one, then i continue to use the landrover to explore 😀
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligkonakos View Post
Hearing that from a 60'er this is really inspiring; you have reached an age that, I believe, you have experienced a lot of stuff, but your attention is towards a 310cc bike instead of a 1000cc+.
Thats right Ligkonakos. Its interesting that BMW is targeting the G310's as an entry-level baby GS for the beginning rider and as an intro into the world of BMW. Im thinking they're going to be suprised by the demand from experienced riders down sizing.

The fact that the 310's can travel 10k/h above any Australian speed limit with ease, means that they are capable enough for Australian roads and distances. My only other question about the G310's won't be answered until 100,000ks.
nodsman likes this.

Last edited by R1deS1uT; 11-20-2017 at 08:01 AM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Another pretty picture of my GS, Gee its sweet above 7000 rpm.

Ligkonakos likes this.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Just bought one, Cosmic Black looks great!

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Iron butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickster View Post
Just bought one, Cosmic Black looks great!
well done Trickster. Hope yo enjoy it as much as I am. Rode mine 600ks today, 8 hrs with 50 Ltr cargo bag on the rear, 110k/h highways, 90\100k/h country backroads, 28ks /litre, and the gs didnít miss a trick. The GSís suspension which I originally thought was too soft is very good on patchwork bitumen. My butt never got sore.
The more I ride it the sweeter it runs. It is turning out to be a more than capable tourer.
trepanned23 likes this.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mucking about on G310's

Got into Sydney and caught up with old mate Eccles. He was the one who blazed the way when he grabbed a 310R that had been used at the track when the R was first launched. That means that it would have been pretty well flogged by the mc journos. There two theories on how to break in a new motorcycle, one is to do it by the manual, the other is ride it like you stole it and give it an early first oil change. Whatever, I got to have a ride on his 310R today. The way he rides, his R is probably one of the higher milage G310's out there. Only had it a month or so and he's ready for his 10,000k service.

"Why don't you take it for this mornings run" he suggested with a sly grin, "See what the engine feels like after 10,000ks."

Its been a month or so since Ive climbed aboard a R and Id forgotten how short and compact they were, especially in comparison to the lanky GS, I was impressed with how user friendly it was and how sporty. Eccles had trained it well, the R raced through the traffic with a real sense of catch me catch me. It was a hoot, light, fast, flickable, and the engine, SOOOOO SMOOTH! The chatter had gone. It hummed and it was fast. It was miles better than when I'd last ridden it.

This is the exciting news 310 owners. This 310 engine just seems to get better and better and if Eccles's 310R is any indication, we're all in for a great surprise.

porth, nodsman, Gaucho and 3 others like this.

Last edited by R1deS1uT; 11-25-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 03:25 PM

You are a very good photographer Bro. I really like your 5th pic in the woods....Kg
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith G View Post
You are a very good photographer Bro. I really like your 5th pic in the woods....Kg
Thanks Keith, It was certainly a magic moment.

madcap likes this.

Last edited by R1deS1uT; 11-30-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page