Smoky Mountains - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Focus Frenzy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Smoky Mountains

just got back from a week long pilgrimage to the greater smoky mountain region of North carolina and Tennessee, Home to the world famous "tail of the dragon" 318 curves in 11 miles, nearly all 15mph or less corners. riders are hauled out of there by ambulance every single day during riding season.

Guenther earned his tramp stamps with flying colors, over the week we did a good six through and back passes through the dragon including in the rain and at night. (best done at night)

we have been out there several times in the past but always on street bikes and the last time there I realized that "hey! there are dirt roads in these here mountains!" so my buddy brought his KLX400 and I brought the mini GS and we set up some dirt routes in our GPS's

we rode in the rain up till we were above the rain in the cloud to the Joanna Bald fire tower at well over 4000 feet above sea level.

there are several pictures in the forum of mini GS on dirt/ gravel roads but none dirty!

on the dragon tail you never know what you will see.

Harrison Ford did a Peter Pan off this bridge in the movie Fugitive.

at where we camped there was Honda Africa twin #000002!

if your friend tries to talk you into going white water rapids riding, just say NO! thats me "swimming/ drowning"
gregtixa and greekgeek like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Nice pictures. Sounds like it was a memorable trip. How often can a person come across a GT40 in racing colors and AT number 2. Someone must have been standing in line for a long time to get S/N 000002!

Did you ride your GS from TX to NC and TN and return? If so what comments and observations would you share.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Glad it worked out better for you than for me. I was in heavy fog (50 foot visibility) north of Roanoke and finally headed back toward Robinsville. I did get a nice ride without rain or fog from Pisgah to Cherokee on the Parkway and then the Cherohala before turning left and heading for my mowing job on Thursday.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:09 PM

I almost drawn there in the smokey mountains in rough water in a kayak in 1998 it was in the place bryson city
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 PM

But beside that great memories about the trip from washington nc to the apalachan mountains
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Nice pictures. Sounds like it was a memorable trip. How often can a person come across a GT40 in racing colors and AT number 2. Someone must have been standing in line for a long time to get S/N 000002!

Did you ride your GS from TX to NC and TN and return? If so what comments and observations would you share.
we rode out the last time on the big bikes, this time was a dirty trip exploring the gravel and forest service roads. I have no doubt the GS would have been fine but my Buddy took his KLX400 and it is geared down and is wound up pretty tight at 70mph so we trailered. it is faster and more comfortable.

observations, stock front tire does not like mud! it would slide out with the least provocation.

for such a bad shock it holds a line really well when healed over in tight corners.

it is to quiet, I scared several cruiser riders when I passed them and they had no clue someone was behind them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page