6Likes
  • 4 Post By pdeteliga
  • 1 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

310GSurf = Endless fun.

Hi,

Just thought I'd share some stories and photos of my 310GSurf.

I got back on bikes about 3 years ago for two reasons. The first was so I could lane filter through 13km's of car **** - the commute takes me 25mins on a bike or around 1.15hrs in a car (more often than not it's even longer). And the second was so that I could go surfing more.

I grew up surfing and this is something that I will never stop doing. I live on Sydney's Northern Beaches, Australia. There are loads of different spots to get waves around here. And lots of people surf, so parking can be a nightmare. Plus parking cops are really strict here, but there are countless places to park a bike at all the surf spots around.

I'm a father, so now when I surf I really have to pick my moment, so even better that I don't waste any precious time looking for a parking spot or worrying about parking fines.

Being able to stick a board on the side of the moto has been so re-invigorating, I even love the travel time now. Traffic is no problem as I can still filter through it - I just need to be more careful than normal. Usually I'm on the bike before sunrise, and that is always a rad time to be on a bike anyway.

How it works: it's a Carver Surf Rack that sandwich presses to the top rack inbetween where the Givi rack connects to the bike. The arms are detachable so I can still do the 5 day commute. But what makes my setup different and better to any I've seen is by having the nose of the board strapped tight to the bike. I've got a rubber tie that loops behind the cowling and then a piece of foam with velcro that separates the board from the bike but keeps it rock solid. This means I don't need to worry about wind pushing the nose of the board away from me, which is really dangerous when travelling at speed.

This thing is rock solid. To counter act the pressure from the nose tie, I tie the string that comes from the board bag to one of the arms of the rack and this pushes the board forward.

A lot of consideration had to be made when getting this right, I needed just enough room to get my leg through, plus enough space from the top of the board to make sure my turning circle was still fine, but I still needed to have the nose as tight as possible to the bike for safety from strong winds and filtering.

I've been up to 100kph and I've also travelled through 40k cross winds and the thing acts completely normal. I never need to hit highways with the board as most of the spots I surf are within 10kms of my house. If I was hitting the highway a lot I would definitely want a bigger bike regardless. But this same system would be rock solid on a bigger bike.

You don't see many bikes around here with racks on them, there's a few scooters around with them, but only one or two proper bikes (that I've seen) and this system is by far the best.

Matt from Northern Beaches Motorcycles was the man with the plan. And this set up means I can strip it all back and lane filter through some of Sydney's worst commuting traffic without a worry. The top part of the rack is on for good, but it is narrower than my handle bars, so lane filtering is no stress at all.

One photo to note is the one with the yellow board on the road next to the bike - that place is awesome. Parking cops are ruthless around there and that parking spot I'm in is always there for me - at the edge of a drive way. You then jump in the water at the end of that road and paddle for about 500m to a beautiful rocky/reef spot called Fairy Bower. Paddle another 150m further and you'll find a spot called Winki. Surfing either of those spots is amazing (the even link up to become one wave). Sydney is Australia's most populated city but being that far out and hidden behind a headland you feel like you are not even in Sydney any more. Riding my moto there then paddling across feels like a dream for me, I feel like I'm in some part of Indonesia doing all that. The waves get crowded out there, but you can get barrelled, plus riding the moto there feels like I'm already winning anyway. People turn away from surfing there because they can't find a park. Suckers!

I'm loving life with this setup - I sneak in a surf before work, then head home, drop the board off, kiss the fam goodbye, filter through traffic and park at the front door of the office. Ripping.

Other mods to note:
- Rally Raid wind shield and mirrors. The wind shield knocks back all wind until helmet which is awesome, and the mirrors are bigger the the originals plus I have them sitting closer in to help me filter.
- New slip-on exhaust. The thing acts and sounds like an Akro but is a lot less expensive and less heavy than the original. I like having a bit more noise - I've got mouths to feed so I need to be heard!
- Givi 42L Outback Trekker case and rack. I carry my wet wetsuit in a dry bag in it after a surf, or my gym gear to work or even sometimes I carry my camera gear in it (I'm a cinematographer by trade). The thing is perfect for me and rock solid.
- Techspec tank grip. That little extra grip does make a difference!

Sorry for the long post, but thought I'd share - I got the rally raid tips from these forums so I thank you all for sharing what you have been doing.

For any surfrats out there, this system is the go!!!

Safe riding!
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	10984   Click image for larger version

Name:	02a.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	10986   Click image for larger version

Name:	02b.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	10988   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	805.0 KB
ID:	10990   Click image for larger version

Name:	08a.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	10992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	08b.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	10994   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	10996   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	10998   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	11000   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	523.4 KB
ID:	11002  

heap, ThugTuga, francoisps and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Nice, that's a GS being put to good use. Kinda reminds me of a 310GS promo from BMW Motorrad Australia -
. Except that guy apparently rides with a board under his arm
pdeteliga likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Gotta admit that's really clever. Can't quite come to terms with handling in crosswinds but it must be OK. And . . . if you should ever accidentally ride into the sea you can surf back to shore, bike and all. Pure genius!!
pdeteliga likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Haha! That ad is so weird. The only way he could have his board under his arm is if someone handed it to him from the back of a truck while he was already in gear.

He surfs amazingly well that guy and he has a big social media following, but that ad never made it to his instagram account... I think he may have decided to leave that one out... I wonder why???
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Gotta admit that's really clever. Can't quite come to terms with handling in crosswinds but it must be OK. And . . . if you should ever accidentally ride into the sea you can surf back to shore, bike and all. Pure genius!!
Haha! A James Bond surf-bike mobile. Genius.

All I need is a parachute on my back, then I could cliff jump into the waves and surf back to shore.

And a snorkel in my helmet!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Nice bike and idea! Surfing looks good🤙🏽
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Rider View Post
Nice bike and idea! Surfing looks good🤙🏽
Thanks mate!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page