Dropped before pickup? - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:35 PM

If it were me I would not worry about any unseen damage. That would be highly unlikely in my opinion. Having said that I would make them replace anything that had even the slightest scratch on it related to that tip over. Plus a thorough inspection and test ride before taking delivery. I love my GS and I was lucky to even find one at the time I purchased mine. They were pre-sold before they even hit the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:21 PM
TYY

See if they could give you your first service free!

18' R (PWM)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Agreed, there are certainly a lot of good points for me to consider (and some great tips). Thanks again to everyone who has replied! Non-sarcastically, I've yet to (knock on wood) drop my bike, although 2 years of somewhat infrequent Grom riding is not necessarily a lengthy track record.

I think that the fact that it's such a good bike is what's making this harder. If it were just a run of the mill Honda or something, it would be easier to just move on to something else. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but in this price range, with these features, and looking this nice, it's hard to turn it down. If they can put it back to mint condition, I'm leaning towards buying it.

If I have any updates after hearing from BMW customer service, or otherwise, I'll post them here.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM

BCE how about that in the future, no matter how far they renew the bits that are damaged, we all understand what you think, you pay for `new` so expect new, if you turned it down im sure another customer would consider the bike a `demo` so reduced, best of luck mate.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Unless i missed it, did you try calling another dealer to verify that there is no other stock in your state? And what they have to say about timelines to get another one?

Personally i wouldn't take it. Maybe that's just me but if i paid for new i expect new. I do like what Cees Klumper said above to make sure it's documented somewhere in case something does show up later on If you do take it, and don't let them off that easy.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
Unless i missed it, did you try calling another dealer to verify that there is no other stock in your state? And what they have to say about timelines to get another one?

Personally i wouldn't take it. Maybe that's just me but if i paid for new i expect new. I do like what Cees Klumper said above to make sure it's documented somewhere in case something does show up later on If you do take it, and don't let them off that easy.
If only there were another dealer... We're not a big state, so literally one company is the only authorized BMW motorcycle dealer (or at least that's what the BMW website tells me). The only motorcycle brands that they don't own are Indian and Suzuki. I've reached out to a couple of BMW dealers in SoCal and Seattle to see if I could buy one from them and have it shipped to me. We'll see if they get back to me, or if they think I'm just plain nuts and ignore the request.

As far as timelines go, since there are no other ones in inventory, they have to wait for the factory in India to "post" unfinished 310's, then pull them down and select options like colors, additional equipment, etc. Then the bikes finish production, get shipped back and forth across the Pacific, go through customs, dock workers etc., and then show up at the dealership. There aren't any bikes in this production pipeline, so timelines are Q1-Q2 of 2019 for another bike.

Yeah, I don't plan on letting them off easy. I'm certainly planning on making them fix every little scratch. And if we can't come to a mutual agreement on, at the very least some sort of warranty for the possibility of hidden damage that BMW won't cover, I'm planning on making this situation a little more visible to management in, and then people outside their dealership. Given that their Yelp page is sitting at 1.5 stars, I'm not sure another review would result in the desired outcome. On the plus side, at least someone responds to the negative reviews they get.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:26 AM

Personally. I would get a full refund and walk away. Even if they 'restore' the bike perfectly, it will always be back of your mind that it was dropped. There may be no other dealers nearby, why not contact another dealer further afar, and explain that you want a new one and ask for free delivery?. The other thing I would consider, this is only my opinion, If this dealer employs such an unskilled rider to fill up the machines,what other 'unskilled ' or careless employees do they have, like the service technicians?. My dealer here in the UK is not a large outfit, but I know for a fact that they have a small secure warehouse with stored new bikes.
For peace of mind, and to enjoy a great bike without any issues, walk away.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Another thing to consider is that there may be a customer or two lining up behind you in case you don't want it, seeing how this is the only game in town. The dealer might even be able to sell it to someone else at a premium. So you may have a lot less leverage than you think and may rgret walking away now, when you see the lucky new owner wizz by ...

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Another thing to consider is that there may be a customer or two lining up behind you in case you don't want it...
Good point. They have been in rather short supply. The first batch was snapped up rather quickly and I'm not sure if the market is satiated yet.

Then again, this isn't my 2nd bike - I've been riding since around 1961 and have become somewhat pragmatic in my old age.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page