Dropped before pickup? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Dropped before pickup?

Apologies if this is a repost.

Thanks to this forum, I've selected the 310 GS as my next bike! My local dealer had one in stock, and so I put down a deposit while I made sure that the money worked out for the purchase. Yesterday, I went back to pay in full for the bike and set up a delivery time. When I got there, the sales person told me that they (the dealership) had sent out an employee to fill up the gas tank, and while he was making a right turn... he lost traction on the rear tire and took a spill.

The damage, they tell me, is cosmetic. I saw pics, the brake lever, the right bar end, the exhaust heat shield, and the right body work is damaged. They were some pretty good sized gouges/scratches on all of them. They've already ordered the parts and are planning to replace them, but they are still telling me that the price remains unchanged. I'm relatively new to motorcycling (my first bike that I just sold was a Grom), but I wanted some input from y'all with more experience:

1. How do I know that the damage was only cosmetic? (I'm not a mechanic)
2. Should they be selling this bike as new when they were responsible for dropping it?
3. Should I be asking for anything? (Discount? extra warranty of some kind?)

The problem (for me) is that this 310 GS is the only one in my state (HI). The dealer has advised that BMW's inventory management doesn't show any other GS's in production/available for ordering. Should I even be thinking of buying this one, now that it's been damaged?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, just a little more info (I'm not thinking super clearly):

I called Geico (who had my other motorcycle insurance), and they told me that as long as it's fixed, they still consider it as the same value. They also told me that I have a little under 5 months before I'm considered a "new rider" again, and lose some discounts on the insurance.

The sales person indicated that if I waited for a new GS, it may not be until the middle of next year before they get one.

I've also emailed BMW motorcycle customer service to see if this whole, "we dropped it, we'll fix it, but pay us full price anyway," is legit. The sales person said, "oh, don't worry, you have a warranty" but that warranty only covers manufacturer defects. I'm worried that there's something that got busted by the fall that doesn't show up until later... at which point it's not covered by the warranty.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 AM

Well, I don't think I would be wanting that bike now, and I'd be making loud noises about it.

My way of thinking is not necessarily the same as others, but if you're paying for a new bike, a brand spanking new bike, you expect that is what you're getting. Now you are in line for getting a brand new, damaged bike that they have to fix - it's not the same.

They say their guy lost traction, how about rephrasing that to their guy either couldn't ride a motorbike and so shouldn't have been trusted with a customers new bike, or that they were riding your bike dangerously for the conditions / traffic and lost control.

Personally, I'd be expecting the dealer to be on their hands and knees to you over this, I think you have every right to refuse this bike and require them to provide you a new one, or get them to refund you and walk away.
sunster likes this.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZWestie View Post
I think you have every right to refuse this bike and require them to provide you a new one, or get them to refund you and walk away.
At which point, they'll replace the scuffed bits and put it back on the floor at full list. "New" is usually defined as not previously having been titled.

If you have seen the bike post drop and the damage appears to be cosmetic, I wouldn't worry (I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't worry). The profit margin on this bike is almost non-existent, so I wouldn't expect any significant discount - the parts & labor to restore the bike have already eaten into that margin.

I would, however, take it for a significant test ride before buying just to make sure that everything was working properly and the bike tracks straight (handlebars should be perpendicular to the long axis. If you can, ride straight through a puddle and see if you leave one or two wet tracks.

The damage that you described appears to be in keeping with a low speed drop - so further damage isn't likely.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I'm torn, because I would like to get one as soon as possible (yes, I have delayed gratification issues) and just not wanting to pay full price, and just overwhelming amounts of rage. I was wondering if I was weird for feeling so.

I'm wondering if BMW customer service will do anything, I can't imagine that they would be too happy to hear about the way this seems to be going. I just think it's unethical for them to treat this like a new bike.

I went to take a look at the bike today, so I could take my own pics.: https://imgur.com/a/mhkHykV
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:51 AM

I wouldn’t be happy about it. It’s the whole expectation of something being brand new, regardless of whether they can repair it to the point where there’s effectively no difference.
Hard to believe there are no new GS available until mid next year. Sounds like they’re just trying to pressure you to take the bike, although perhaps it’s legit.
angiedave and sunster like this.

Last edited by deegee; 09-23-2018 at 04:07 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, so here's what they told me regarding a fresh from the factory model. Bikes aren't produced continuously, so you can't just put out an order for a bike that then gets filled. They said it's something on like a quarterly basis. Each factory's production is then allocated to region(?), and when the bikes are at a certain point in the process, each dealer has the opportunity to log on and "grab" a frame. Then they can add options/colors etc. Apparently the next quarter's production has already been posted, but no GS's in our area. The next time after this that posting would go up would be around the end of this year. Then it takes some months for the bikes to be produced, and then they have to be shipped back and forth across the Pacific in my case, with customs delays, etc. I believe that we're like Puerto Rico in that the containers have to go to another US port first, and then get shipped here.

At first I thought this was a tall tale, but it's so detailed and bizzare it has to be true. My dad ordered a car for himself in May, and was only able to take delivery at the middle/end of August.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagle48 View Post
I went to take a look at the bike today, so I could take my own pics.
Thanks for those. Looks to be light cosmetic damage - probably under 10MPH by the looks of the clutch ball end and the exhaust shield. Not, you understand, that I have any first-hand experience with dropping a bike.

Cough.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator - they always seem to look a bit wonky right out of the box. I doubt that it took any damage, based on your pic.

And yeah - when you want a new bike, you want a NEW bike - but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the first drop.

Decisions, decisions...

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I would take the bike, but with a written statement from the dealer describing the situation so that if hidden damage shows up later, you have some recourse. Even most of ours came 'damaged' (sidestand recall) out of the box.
MichaelJ and sunster like this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Hi BCEagle
It sucks they dropped your bike. Some good advice and options above.
One thing on this bike that can bite you on the arse is stalling in a slow turn, rear wheel locks up and can slide sideways, bike will drop if unlucky. It’s possible this is what happened to the bike shop guy, rather than excessive speed.
Recommend check tyre pressures before you get on this bike - should be about 25/28psi. Some dealers overinflate the baby GS. New tyres are also slippery. Keep revs up in corners and/or feather the clutch to avoid a stall.
Other than that it’s a great bike, I’m six months / 4000 km in, (knock on wood) haven’t stalled it since the first week.
Enjoy your bike!

Red G310GS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page