310 gs feedback needed please - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tickster
  • 1 Post By greekgeek
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
310 gs feedback needed please

Hi there, i am seriously thinking about buying the 310gs and i am in the process of information gathering (to be formal!). since this bike became available in the Greek market recently i believe that you guys know more. my main concern is that it's my first hi-tech bike (i mean electronic gizmos, fuel injection, etc.) and to keep up with the warranty i ll have to visit only official BMW service-shops (that means a trip to Athens even for an oil change). although i am willing to go through this ordeal i would like to know what to expect from the bike. has anyone had any issues with the electrics or other parts of the bike ? (besides the cold start issues).any responses would be much appreciated. greetings from Greece to everybody
greekgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Tickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Leduc Alberta Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
Hi there, i am seriously thinking about buying the 310gs and i am in the process of information gathering (to be formal!). since this bike became available in the Greek market recently i believe that you guys know more. my main concern is that it's my first hi-tech bike (i mean electronic gizmos, fuel injection, etc.) and to keep up with the warranty i ll have to visit only official BMW service-shops (that means a trip to Athens even for an oil change). although i am willing to go through this ordeal i would like to know what to expect from the bike. has anyone had any issues with the electrics or other parts of the bike ? (besides the cold start issues).any responses would be much appreciated. greetings from Greece to everybody
Welcome,
First off, the dealer does not have to do the oil changes to keep warranty valid. You, have to keep receipts for
proof of the proper filter and oil. You, must keep a record of the service you have done.
The dealer, has to do the required maintenance at specified intervals.
As what to expect from the bike, there are so many threads here with those experiences.
Keep in mind if you have not already, there are some negative issues and reactions to this motorcycle.
BUT, go to any forum for any motorized vehicle, and you will find the similiar reactions, because nothing is perfect.
Not many motorcycles include, a 3 year warranty with road side assistance too.
I would say a huge majority of owners of the G310's are very satisfied.
Hope this helps a bit.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
Tickster is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
thank you for your response Tickster, i totally agree with you, there is not such a thing as a perfect bike. The problem is that dealers in Greece behave more like latin american barons than serious professionals (there is not such a thing as a 3 yr road side assistance offered or any other perks ). Believe it or not, i have to do everything at the dealer to keep the warranty valid.
my experience with Indian-made bikes didn't leave any happy memories (i bought a royal enfield 10 yrs ago) but i suppose BMW has stricter standards of manufacture and a fame to protect.
anyway time will tell
greekgeek is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
thank you for your response Tickster, i totally agree with you, there is not such a thing as a perfect bike. The problem is that dealers in Greece behave more like latin american barons than serious professionals (there is not such a thing as a 3 yr road side assistance offered or any other perks ). Believe it or not, i have to do everything at the dealer to keep the warranty valid.
my experience with Indian-made bikes didn't leave any happy memories (i bought a royal enfield 10 yrs ago) but i suppose BMW has stricter standards of manufacture and a fame to protect.
anyway time will tell
As Greece is a member of the EU, then as long as you use Genuine service parts, you do NOT have to use a BMW main dealer. BMW warranties are usually the same throughout the whole of the EU - Two years with unlimited mileage.
Glencoeman is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glencoeman View Post
As Greece is a member of the EU, then as long as you use Genuine service parts, you do NOT have to use a BMW main dealer. BMW warranties are usually the same throughout the whole of the EU - Two years with unlimited mileage.
good point Glencoeman, i ll check it out. thank you
greekgeek is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Tickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Leduc Alberta Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
thank you for your response Tickster, i totally agree with you, there is not such a thing as a perfect bike. The problem is that dealers in Greece behave more like latin american barons than serious professionals (there is not such a thing as a 3 yr road side assistance offered or any other perks ). Believe it or not, i have to do everything at the dealer to keep the warranty valid.
my experience with Indian-made bikes didn't leave any happy memories (i bought a royal enfield 10 yrs ago) but i suppose BMW has stricter standards of manufacture and a fame to protect.
anyway time will tell
Hmm...one of the primary reasons that I was not afraid to buy a motorcycle made in India was,
my 8 year old Royal Enfield Bullet 500 has been flawless.
I know it's apples and oranges kind of thing with two different manufacturers, but I have harsh memories
from a Japanese made Suzuki.
WillyR50S likes this.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
Tickster is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 82
Hi Greekgeek,

I am not sure what kind of riding you do or what sort of characteristics you want in an adventure bike. That is perhaps the starting point of the discussion. While evaluating the G310GS, please check out the newly re-launched Royal Enfield Himalayan as a reference for comparison. RE seems to be going all out at capturing the baby adventure touring market and the Euro 4 approved model seems to have much better quality control than the disastrous early batch made in 2016. It is the first ever Enfield to have a counterbalancer and some report that it is a relatively relaxed and comfortable low vibration machine. Reportedly, it is capable of sustained cruising in the 110-115 km/hour speed range, but it is probably not capable of pushing you close to 130 km/hour into a headwind as my G310R can nor is going to accelerate with the high rpm ferocity that the wonderful little 310 has. It is a completely different beast. As nearly as I can tell from the internet, it does not accelerate nearly as briskly as a G310..nor is it as fast as the G310 but depending on your roads and riding style, speed may not be as important as some of its other attributes. It is now equipped with renowned Keihin fuel injection and comes standard equipped with a sturdy center stand and a wind screen. It does have spoked rims and extremely long suspension travel front and rear. It may not be your cup of tea, but if you are interested in the off road and touring combination that 310 GS offers, it would be in your best interest to compare the two machines to find the one that suits your roads and riding style best. For me, I love the G310R because I am just a paved road guy in my older years, and I would have no use in spending the extra for the GS which is harder for a short old guy like me to mount anyway. You test all and be the judge of what suits you best...but do check out all the options!

Willy
WillyR50S is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
oh my gosh! the RE Himalayan looks good!!
well, i mentioned the RE because of the overall bad quality of manufacturing. i bought a 500cc Bullet 15 yrs ago or so, because i had a passion for English classic bikes. i spent a lot of pounds buying all sorts of accessories but handling remained poor and although the bike never broke down, i had minor problems all the time.
i know that the gs 310 is something entirely different. i have checked most available reviews, articles, forum opinions and i am almost certain that this bike is ideal for my needs. my only worry is that the bike is a bit "hi-tech" for me to fix, if anything happens. i decided to buy a new bike because i need a hassle-free vehicle (I don't want to spent time anymore fixing my bike, just riding it with a smile).
WillyR50S likes this.
greekgeek is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 82
It is apparent that you have put a lot of study into your decision. The warranty is very good and if you have a good dealer to service it when needed, you cannot go wrong! It has phenomenal performance and is great fun to ride. The GS310 is a very fine machine and I do not think that you will be disappointed with this purchase.
WillyR50S is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feedback from First G310R Owners G310Admin G310R News 5 05-30-2018 03:03 PM
Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread G310Admin G310RForum.com Site Feedback, Help, Support 0 02-03-2017 02:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome