optimal temperature - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Adam

I think seller is correct.I observed coolant temperature variations based on airspeed across radiator more varied than on a car. At a road construction stop the fan came at 208 F-about 100C.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Google is everyone’s friend...

Engine warm up on this “new” bike is no more than 30 seconds to a minute.

Oil specs cover cold and warm engine AND environmental conditions. Hence the 15W-50 rating. For example:

“OK . . .What does a 5W-30 do that an SAE 30 won't?
When you see a W on a viscosity rating it means that this oil viscosity has been tested at a Colder temperature. The numbers without the W are all tested at 210° F or 100° C which is considered an approximation of engine operating temperature. In other words, a SAE 30 motor oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-30 or 5W-30 at 210° (100° C). The difference is when the viscosity is tested at a much colder temperature. For example, a 5W-30 motor oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil would perform at the cold temperature specified, but still has the SAE 30 viscosity at 210° F (100° C) which is engine operating temperature. This allows the engine to get quick oil flow when it is started cold verses dry running until lubricant either warms up sufficiently or is finally forced through the engine oil system. The advantages of a low W viscosity number is obvious. The quicker the oil flows cold, the less dry running. Less dry running means much less engine wear.”

Do not worry about the engine after 30 seconds to a minute - at ANY speed or rpm. The 2018 technology of oil has you covered.

Worry about the other factors of starting a ride: your attention, your muscle memory of clutch, brake, throttle, road conditions, and “threats”, and your COLD tires...

Ride safe!
greekgeek likes this.

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM

Hi, you think it's normal. When I start the engine, the hot water goes right into the cooler. The temperature display shows only 50 C and I know the thermostat should open at 80C. It seems to me that the thermostat does not work. The motorcycle can not normally warm up, the ride and the temperature gauge shows constantly around 55-60C, more only when I get to the maximum. It's normal, you can also try it out. Thanks. Translated by Google. Adam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page