Grabbing neutral instead of second - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Grabbing neutral instead of second

This is probably my one and only real complaint about the bike! No matter how carefully I try and operate the shifter, every once in a while shifting up from first the transmission will click into neutral, followed by a high rev blip as I open the throttle without second gear engaged. Embarrassing!

For me at least, something about the geometry of the peg and shifter is not quite right, I'm thinking the length may be on the generous side? I've already lowered the shift lever a bit so it's a little more natural, but it still never feels right. When I jumped on my old Suzuki, I never even thought about it, it was always just there, right where it should be.

Last edited by Centsational; 07-19-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 AM

Have the Dealer adjust level (or do it yourself) so you can get you toes under good and you have enough leverage on shifter. I had trouble getting under the shifter with my adventure boots. The Dealer raised it so I can get under better now. It is a little high and I will eventually lower it a bit.

If it is up too high, you can't get the leverage and you have to try and raise your toes higher which will make it harder to get a positive shift.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centsational View Post
For me at least, something about the geometry of the peg and shifter is not quite right, I'm thinking the length may be on the generous side?
no my friend, the gearbox is BMWish (that means vague) as well as cheap, plain and simple. you will never encounter such a problem on a Japanese bike. haven't you notice the noisy engine? compare this with a Honda or any other jap bike. what the heck, let's call it character....

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
you will never encounter such a problem on a Japanese bike

Coming from two Japanese bikes, I see NO difference...
Generalities are nonsenses

12/2017 G310GS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejah View Post
Coming from two Japanese bikes, I see NO difference...
Generalities are nonsenses
dude i am not talking in general, i HAVE previous experience with a Honda XR 400, Kawasaki 250 KLR , Yamaha DT (as well as mopeds and scooters but i don't count them) and this is my second European, but Indian made, bike (if you count a Royal Enfield as such... there is simply no comparison..

Last edited by greekgeek; 07-19-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM

same issue for me. not all the time but sometime.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regisparent View Post
same issue for me. not all the time but sometime.
Had it happen to me a few times as well.
But since I changed out my levers to the shorter, adjustable, and cheap Chinese ones, no issues.
Go figure?

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Having owned 12 different bikes Japanese it's the rider not the bike. Are you wearing proper motorcycle boots? I've found you will not get a "clean" upshift es specially from 1st to 2nd if you dont have a proper boot. A soft shoe against the shift will cause missedshifts. .
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

My Suzuki (and my Kawi for that matter) never had this problem, but of course it cost considerably more than the 310, too. Same riding gear though, and I've even lowered the shifter a bit to get more leverage for upshifts. Overall it's not a bad transmission, but mine seems to have it's quirks, as I know others do. I got caught rolling up behind a car stopped at a light (that had turned green a while ago) in second gear a week or so back, and trying to downshift into first totally froze the transmission in neutral. Couldn't shift up, couldn't shift down. It was just totally jammed. I know I'm not the only one to have this problem, so I suspect the transmission does have it's own set of minor issues.

During break-in, mine would sometimes shift kind of notchy and was tricky to really smoothly rev match, but then at the next light it would shift absolutely buttery smooth through the gears. It was really inconsistent.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 AM

C, maybe no good to you but have you tried keeping upward pressure on the shifter from 1st to 2nd ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page