Broken clutch cable - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Broken clutch cable

My bike is almost new with approx 1,5 thousand miles. And now during 90 MPH highway ride my clutch stopped working. I shifted without clutch to get safe and then I figured out that the clutch cable is partly broken what resulted in too long clutch lever free play. I fastened the cable and got home almost fearlessly..

I didnt think this could happen.. Has anyone seen something like this before? Or is it BMW 310 speciality?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch-detail.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	13294  

2018 Black 310 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM

What is normal for a cable-actuated clutch (for any brand) is that the cable will stretch over time and require replacement.

This is not your case here. 1- the bike is recent 2- the cable clearly is ripped out (not a case of normal wear)

Dealer should replace cable under warranty.

Possible cause is a bad quality cable where a few of the wires got detached from the hook that goes in the lever. With less wires in place and requiring the same force to pull the clutch, the poor remaining wires got stretched up to the point of having no more effect on pulling the clutch. If I see correctly, the wires still attached to the ball/hook appear longer (i.e stretched) than the ones that are "detached".

(Question: did the bike ever fell on the ground or something hit the lever ? We can see some paint chips on your lever and lever holder. If things got hit, it's not impossible it damaged some of the wires of the cables.)

'18 G310R
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Answer: nope, my bike has never fell down and wasnt hit at all. It must be bad quality of the cable ending.The dealer is ok with changing the part.
Unfortunatley I made these paint chips by myself when I was trying to dismantle the lever and inspect the cable without propriate tools on the road. Now I see it was a mistake but it was so hot I couldnt imagine waiting for some help and on the other hand I am not experienced enough to ride without clutch through traffic etc.

I love the bike, it is perfect for a new rider like me. But I have to say that thanks to this experience I donīt feel as safe as I would expect and as I wanted to feel with brand new BMW bike. :-(

2018 Black 310 R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page